Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Speculation - The Village at Totem Lake (Possible Tesla retail store location???)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Blurry_Eyed

MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761
Dec 29, 2011
I noticed on the Tesla Supercharging map that there is a proposed location for Kirkland, WA - Totem Lake, that is to be installed by the end of 2018. I have a strong suspicion it will be at The Village at Totem Lake - the new shopping area that is going in where the old Totem Lake Mall was. It would make really good sense to put a location there as it's close to the 522 junction and it will be located in an area that would make sense for the urban Superchargers Tesla wants to put in as Model 3 rolls out.

Adding a bit of credibility is the video that CenterCal Properties put up giving a rendered tour of the property when complete:

If you go to the 1:10 mark in the video and pause it, you will see a rendered Tesla store in the left side of the screen. The video has a variety of fake made up store fronts and real retailers. The real retailers that they have rendered appear to be actual tenants (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Nordstrom Rack etc.). Whom ever created the video may have decided to put in the real locations of the companies that had already pre-leased their spaces.

I drove all around the area a few weeks ago looking for signs of a future SC (too early) and discovered that the place will be a parking/traffic nightmare. I agree it's a good location, but there's also a Fred Meyer on the other side of the freeway and Tesla has used for several other regional SCs.

I live near here and drive by every day on my way to work. I'll do some investigating.

But I don't think (hope it won't) it will be at the Fred Meyer. I think there are already some L2 chargers there and they get ICEd a lot so I never go there.

fwiw, i went on a bit of a reconnaissance mission tonight on my way home from work. i drove all around the Village and surrounding area but saw no sigh of tesla superchargers.

there is still a lot of construction going on and i think the Village makes the most sense to install superchargers but unfortunately no sign of them...:(

my wife is really looking forward to this one. we've been making do with a slow L2 charger (existing 20 amp outlet in our garage) and my work has L2 chargers so we've been mostly ok but my wife drives the car more than I do so she mostly charges at home only. It would be nice to get a quick charge every now and then in Totem Lake so she can just keep topping off at home.

anyway, this unfortunately doesn't show up on the tesla website with any progress (permits, etc.) so we're probably a year or so away (late 2018 if we're lucky).

No construction at either location as of two weeks ago, the mall is finishing out their most likely location which is the garage soon though.

I reviewed all the electrical permits for the Village and the Fred Meyer store/gas station parcels about a two weeks ago while stuck in a waiting room. :) I didn't thumb through them all (there are about 40) but in the titles and the few I dug into that looks like they might have had it I found nothing to indicate a EV charging station of any kind much less a supercharger.

The FM is probably better if you discount the necessity of having things to do, it has easier North to North and South to South access from 405 and it's already apparent the mall is going to have parking and access problems.

As of today, same as @chokai , no discernible progress at either Totem Lake Mall or Fred Meyer. The mall construction will be proceeding for months and apparently it includes apts/condos and parking garages. I did see a good sized stack of conduit that looks similar to other Tesla SC builds, but these are probably just for the general electrical:

Attachments

• 75A0E80F-EC29-4989-9436-774E8489922F.jpeg
    75A0E80F-EC29-4989-9436-774E8489922F.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 292
I live near here and drive by every day on my way to work. I'll do some investigating.

But I don't think (hope it won't) it will be at the Fred Meyer. I think there are already some L2 chargers there and they get ICEd a lot so I never go there.
Several L2 and 2 L3 Chademo at Freddie’s. I have seen some spots ICEd but never have had a problem getting a spot myself for my LEAF. That saved me more than once in my 86 mile range vehicle before I got the M3 LR. I’ve also seen EVs parked that didn’t even bother to pretend to be charging.

That video is over 2 years old, I first saw it before they even broke ground. So I think any glimpse of a Tesla logo (I couldn’t see it) was not based on any prospective lease, especially as the Tesla store in Bellevue is just 8 miles away. I try to avoid “HELLvue Square” mall, is the Tesla store still there?

Also not only is the parking overwhelmed already in the current retail area even before the construction of the second retail area is done, but from what I can tell driving along 120th, I don’t see much more parking being made. No apparent entrance to outdoor or covered parking. I’m probably going to have to e-bike there! So chance of a supercharger seems low to me.

Several completed retail storefronts are empty even now with no tenant. I hope that changes.

BTW It’s by I-405 which has much more traffic than SR-522 (4 miles north) that someone mentioned

There are two large garages incorporated into the design. The first one is nearly open (or was last I drove by). It has around 500 stalls on the westside of the street. There is one full level of parking under basically the entire structure east of the street. That's probably similar in size I suspect. Given that there will be a movie theater in that building they need a lot of parking. Still won't be enough because it's a driving destination....

The Fred Meyer is a much better location, even though there is less to do if you are looking to get in and out quickly. Way better freeway access... If I see the store manager @ Freddy's sometime soon I'll ask them if they know anything.

Regardless a mod should probably change this threads title to simply Totem Lake Supercharger or something like that or someone should start a new one. The original topic title was basically speculation off of advertising for a real-estate development company....