TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger speed: 116kW

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by TonyWilliams, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Benjamin Brooks

Yes, but that rate is a lie because it is a rolling, cumulative average. Only after 1 hour of charging will you know what the real mph charge rate was... and it will be less than 500 mph or 400 mph, guaranteed.

In the OP's example high mph charge rate was 267mph after 1 hour of charging.

2. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

That's awesome! I was only getting 45 KWh while I was there on my 3. 110 on the X

• Informative x 1
  3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

The MPH information is not instantaneous, it is an average of the session.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

The MPH stuff is just completely bonkers. Don’t use it for anything.

Here’s 302mph at 23kW.

23 kW is correct... again, MPH is not.

2B9A7E60-8FF4-49EA-8D2F-6F9BDBADF0E0.png

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  5. SureValla

SureValla Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "average of the session". can you elaborate? An example might be helpful

6. CarlS

CarlS Supporting Member

I don't understand why there's an argument. Both are correct. You can report that you're getting 425 miles per hour of charge at a certain instant and you can also say that the average for that charging session is 267 miles per hour.

The instant charge rate will not stay that high as the battery fills up and we all know that. I think it's still interesting to see how fast it can charge in those first minutes.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  7. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

The computer takes the total miles added, divides it by the total time charging, and converts it to MPH format. If you charged for 30 minutes and added 180 miles, the computer would display 360 MPH charging speed. If you added 100 miles in 15 minutes, the computer would display 400 MPH charging speed. The longer you’re plugged in, the more slowly it charges, bringing your average MPH charging speed down.

So for the original poster’s case, his computer probably displayed 500 MPH at the end of 15 minutes and it dropped down to somewhere in the 200s by the time he was done charging since he charged it all the way up to 98%. That top end charges very slowly, bringing down the average for the entire charging session.

• Helpful x 3
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  8. blincoln

blincoln Member

• Like x 9
    • Love x 1
  9. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

This update shaved about 2 hours off of a cross-country trip to visit my parents (Springfield, VA to Bellingham, WA). We'll see what happens when our Model 3 arrives and we actually take the trip this summer (hopefully). For reference, I mapped the trip in ABRP yesterday and again just now.

• Informative x 3
  10. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Just now noticing this thread. Did you actually do a full 8-98% charge, or is this an estimate? Non-shared supercharger, I presume?

11. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Several posts in here have said 78 usable with around 82 as the full capacity

• Like x 1
  12. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

We can be more precise: 78.3kWh usable, 80.5kWh total

13. sammyfan711

sammyfan711 Member

I had mine cooking at 444 miles per hour! This tailed off shortly thereafter but seeing the number was unreal!

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  14. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

116kW would produce an instantaneous charging rate of 459 mph. Given the reported number is an average and there's at least a short ramp up time, it should be possible to see above 455 mph.

15. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Perhaps it’s clearer to say that the average reported capacity is 73kWh. In other words, when you’ve used 73kWh the Model 3 says you have 0 range left. There could be capacity beyond that, but the Model 3 says it has 73kWh.

16. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

The 77,2kWh comes from EPA testing, as "Charge depleting range". Aka, they drove the car on a dyno until it would go no further, which likely was indeed past the reading of "0".

• Informative x 1
  17. Owner

Owner Active Member

#37 Owner, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Thanks for the data, and interesting to compare with 4 years ago with the 85 battery size. I did a ton of testing back in the day...

Supercharger Time Test

The average gain I could get was 39kWh or 134 miles in 30 minutes. The best test was 43kWh in 30 minutes.

If I look at your data your getting about 49kWh on your battery in that 30 minutes. About 60% of the battery's energy (not starting from pure zero) of a 80kWh battery.

Yes, faster but not astonishingly so... I'm assuming that Kettlemen was not busy, the station had no issues, and you started from an empty battery makes it faster and a good test.

and there is also the famous charge off data. Every car differs a wee bit (as does the exact station)

Charge-off 90kW vs. 120kW

What also doesn't seem all that different (although I never exhaustively tested it) was how long it took to completely fill the battery. You have it at 75 minutes, I don't think I have ever waited longer than that. On occasion I do fill up to the brim as I like to travel to super remote places without great (or zero) charging options.

• Love x 1
  18. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

#38 cwerdna, Feb 2, 2018
    Huh? Are you talking about a charge rate of 45 kW or that you added 45 kWh to the battery?

If you don't know why I'm asking, I and others have posted about wrong unit usage many times, when it comes up. Example: Usable KW Doesn't match up??

19. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Active Member

Last year i traveled to 20 states , many super chargers. I keep a log of every charge. I never ever get the same numbers. If you travel, keep a log. It is a trap shoot. I travel from D.C. to Florida a lot, i stop at the same 5 chargers. They never give same numbers. There to many varibles, ie. What is left in your car? Are you alone on your charger munber or sharing paired? What is the outside temp? I travel all over our area, i am in the Orlando, Ocala , st augustine chargers every week. They never give the same charging numbers ever. I talked to a lot of folks charging, we all agree, you are chasing a ghost if you expect to get perfect consistant numbers.
    I have a dual inverters. Have charged at a 80 amp destination chaerger. It was amazingly fast. Oh, i have solar panels that charge my car from 10am to 3pm.

20. TonyWilliams

TonyWilliams Active Member

#40 TonyWilliams, Feb 2, 2018
    The data points on the graph are “raw data”... empirical observation. No estimates.

I charged from 6% to 98% (I actually charged to 100%, but that happened after I made the graph).

Obviously, the charger wasn’t shared. Also, these chargers are brand new at Kettleman City.

One additional data point that’s important is the ambient temperature, which was in the 45F to 55F, However the battery was very warm after driving about 200 miles at 90mph.

• Informative x 2