TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger speed: 116kW

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by TonyWilliams, Jan 31, 2018.

1. tga

tga Supporting Member

The MPH/kW display causes some confusion, because:
    • MPH is an average over the entire charge session, calculated as (miles/kWh * (kWh added during session)) / (charge time in hours))
    • kW hours displayed is your current, instantaneous power draw.
    On a Model 3, you can approximate "instantaneous" MPH by multiplying kW by 4 (250Wh/mile; on an S or X, use 3; 333Wh/mi). At the beginning of a charge session, you'll notice the *4 relationship is pretty close (250kW = 1000MPH). As the charge session continues and the charge rate tapers, the *4 relationship breaks down.

Let's say I plug in my S at around 10% with the charge slider set to 100%. Initially I will draw around 118kW, and the MPH will show around 354MPH (118*3). Assume it takes 1 hour to hit 100%. After 1 hour, I will have added (100%-10%) * 255 miles, or 230 miles (I'm using 255 instead of the original capacity of 265, since my battery has degraded a bit). Just before charging completes, my MPH will show ~230MPH, but my charge rate will be down to around 2kW.

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

My understanding is that this is no longer true, and that in current firmware versions the MPH number is an instantaneous reading.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. tga

tga Supporting Member

I just got 2019.8.4 on Monday (from 2018.50.6), so I can test later today.

4. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

What's the deal on the 145kW upgrade to V2 systems? Does that still require a version later than what is generally available to the public now for 3s?

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

As far as we know yes. It is also rumored that they have to make a physical change at each Supercharger site to enable it as well.

6. SigNC

SigNC Active Member

Seems like at minimum they could switch to the more aggressive charge curve with a 3 software update.

7. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

People have been checking around a lot of the sites around the country, and apparently most of the old ones that were still being referred to as "120kW" already got their equipment upgrade to 145kW sometime in the past year or two. So this seems already pretty widespread and just needing the car updates to start using it.

8. Racerrich

Racerrich Member

Certainly not meaningless when I can get 150 miles of range in about 35 minutes!

9. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

That is correct. Just like the range indication is a direct conversion from battery level, the mi/hr charging indication is now a direct conversion from charge power. These are the conversion factors I've noted:

3P: 4.09 mi/hr / kW
    3LR RWD: 4.27 mi/hr / kW
    3SR+: 4.56 mi/hr / kW

• Informative x 3
  10. LCR1

LCR1 Active Member

It is meaningless when the numbers aren't correct its closer to 370mph when you do the math.

11. Racerrich

Racerrich Member

I don't see a need to argue about rates or math. I can now recharge at advertised rates, 3-5 times what I was getting previously. That is all I care about. I'm happy!

12. darth_vad3r

darth_vad3r Well-Known Sith

My 3 SR+ numbers posted in my other thread (Estimating battery capacity based on Supercharging readout) match fairly closely with yours for the 3 SR+ above.

In your units of mi/hr / kW my number would be 4.57 though (4.5662, and I'd also like to point out that mi/hr / kW reduces to mi/kWh ;))

I was measuring in terms of consumption, not efficiency, so Wh/km (or Wh/mi). I got a bounded range of 136.000 to 136.187 Wh/km, which I noted the mid-point as being very close to exactly 219.000 Wh/mi (136.08 Wh/km).

219 Wh/mi is the same as 4.5662 mi/kWh

If I remove any assumption about it being a 'round' number 219.0, then the bounded range I determined maps to:
    4.5626 - 4.5689 mi/kWh (midpoint is 4.5658 mi/kWh which still rounds up to 4.57).

In any case, we're very close here :)

Taking your 4.09 and 4.27 numbers, I get 3P: 244.5 Wh/mi and 3LR RWD: 234.2 Wh/mi

13. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

I agree! As stated in my reply (link) to your post in the other thread.

14. tga

tga Supporting Member

Confirmed; I take back what I wrote in post #141. I finally got a chance to SC, and MPH has indeed changed from a session average to an instantaneous reading. Throughout a session on my S, I see MPH = 3.4 * kW (ie, 340 Wh/mi).

15. darth_vad3r

So... do you have a “MODEL3” plate on a Model S? :)

16. tga

tga Supporting Member

I did. It got me a bunch of odd looks at superchargers... I guess I need to update my avatar.

I made 2 day one reservations on 3/31/16 and ordered the plate a month or so later before anyone else could. I planned to use it on my Mini until the 3 arrived. In 12/16, I found my ideal config 2014 P85+ w/ AP1.0 on the CPO site and ordered it. I transferred the plate to the S, since that made more sense than leaving it on the Mini.

Eventually, I decided to keep the S, drop the 3 reservations, and surrendered the plate for someone else to use. I now have a regular 7 digit NH plate on it. The "MODEL3" plate shows as unavailable; hopefully someone else grabbed it and I didn't take it permanently (I don't know if NH allows vanity plates to be re-assigned, or if, once used, they're gone forever).

• Like x 1
  17. darth_vad3r

LOL. Good stuff. “MODEL3” works better than “MODELS” anyways, unless your are allowed a space. I wish we had an availability check for vanity plates here but you have to just pay a fee to apply and see if you get it I think. Maybe you can have a 2nd, 3rd choice. I should look again.