Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all - what sort of speeds should I expect from a Supercharger? I stopped at Buellton and got 60kW - on the way back same charger gave me ~23kW, switching around chargers I got one up to ~50kW. What's considered "normal" charging a Model 3P?

Thanks!

Superchargers depend on the version and who else is plugged in. If you are at the most deployed V2 Supercharger, they pedestals are paired. Whoever is first gets full speed, the second car gets what's left. So yes, it could be that you were getting about 70kW as the other car had slowed to 70kW. Once they unplug, you should get the full speed.

Of course speed is also dependent on your state of charge. If you are at 50%, don't expect full speed.

As mentioned, speeds will vary at all of the different Superchargers.

They are all not fast V3 ones!

You can check and see what they are rated for, however it will vary if you are in a paired supercharger (such as 2A and 2B) and someone else is plugged in to 2A and you go to 2B (which they don't recommend anyway, unless it is the only one available!

Really wish this forum would post Stickies in the threads for commonly searched for information...I'll post what I've learned and I'm sure someone will correct me.

There are many variables for charging rates, which model you have(S/X3-SR/LR) temp outside, temp of battery, SoC(state of charge aka how much battery you've got left), the supercharger(s) if it's an Urban, V2, V3, how many other cars are plugged in... it goes on and on

Bascially, it comes to this. Select the Supercharger you want to go to and hit navigate. Your car will display "Pre-conditioning battery" which means it's either warming the battery or cooling it to the optimal temperature so it's able to accept as much charge as possible when the car arrives to the charger.

Then, if the Supercharger is a V2 (120kW or 150kW) which is the type that you've seen advertised. It might be a 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B... which means that 1A & 1B will SHARE the amount of power it pushes, usually. So if a car is plugged in and charging when you pull up next to it (which is also considered a "dick" move, but sometimes it's the only spot left) you will only get what's left over until that car unplugs.

If the charging stations are the little stands, its an Urban Charger which only puts out 72kW usually, pretty slow but better than a 3rd party charger. I'm not sure if these share the power as well but once again, always a good idea to at least put one space between you and the other car.

Lots of threads on this, do a Google search and there will plenty of short YouTube videos you can watch as well. The car knows when and how much power to pull so don't worry about it too much.

Hello all - what sort of speeds should I expect from a Supercharger? I stopped at Buellton and got 60kW - on the way back same charger gave me ~23kW, switching around chargers I got one up to ~50kW. What's considered "normal" charging a Model 3P?

Thanks!

Faster Tesla Supercharging - How does it actually perform?

Look for Model 3 Long Range, the BT37 battery (75 kWh), that should give you an idea of what speeds you should expect based on the level of your battery. This assumes a V2 SuperCharger location (which most are) and that someone else isn't plugged into a shared stall (1A and B share power, 1A and 2A do not, etc)

For example, looking at that graph and plugging in when you're at 20% SOC (bottom axis) you should see ~145kW (yellow line) if your battery is warm (say you've been driving highway speeds for half an hour or so and the supercharger was programed into the nav as a charging stop. Like if you had mapped out a 300 mile route and the nav picked this location automatically as a recharge stop)

If you plugged in when you were at 80% SOC, you can expect ~45kW.

If your battery is cold (doesn't have to be freezing temps, just like 60 or 70F), or very hot (think 105F day out), or you have people plugged in to the same set of stalls (Someone in 1A and you're in 1B) then the rate will be reduced.

If the charging stations are the little stands, its an Urban Charger which only puts out 72kW usually, pretty slow but better than a 3rd party charger. I'm not sure if these share the power as well but once again, always a good idea to at least put one space between you and the other car.
You don't need to worry about spaces in between or who arrived first for the urban style ones. Technically, behind the curtain, it is the same stack of the 150 kW hardware that is shared, but they have them set to always be a half and half even split at 72kW max, so there is no such thing as the "primary/secondary" car getting more or less power.

Really wish this forum would post Stickies in the threads for commonly searched for information...I'll post what I've learned and I'm sure someone will correct me.

There are many variables for charging rates, which model you have(S/X3-SR/LR) temp outside, temp of battery, SoC(state of charge aka how much battery you've got left), the supercharger(s) if it's an Urban, V2, V3, how many other cars are plugged in... it goes on and on

Bascially, it comes to this. Select the Supercharger you want to go to and hit navigate. Your car will display "Pre-conditioning battery" which means it's either warming the battery or cooling it to the optimal temperature so it's able to accept as much charge as possible when the car arrives to the charger.
\.

Does Pre-conditioning battery use a lot of energy or warming the battery or cooling it ? (I usually shop and lots of open slots where I SC so time is not a factor..)

I hope that it's a not a hardware restriction?

It’s very curious because the chemistry should be the same between the two packs; they should be made of identical cells, just a smaller number of them.

Many here have looked at the C rate (charge rate? Something) of the two packs and it looks like the smaller pack SHOULD be able to hit about 165kW if you were to “stress” it as much as the larger pack hitting ~240kW.

So the SR+ is clearly software limited at 100kW. I wouldn’t expect crazy V3 supercharging speed, and honestly maybe not even maxing the pack out, but I do expect to see the rate opened up to max V2 sites at approximately 140 to 145kW.

That would represent more than a 35% faster charge peak rate and it should still be a little more gentle on the battery compared to what V3 does on the LR Model 3.

I’m hoping Tesla will unlock it once they gather more data and more and more cars show up. Otherwise SR+ cars are going to be slowing down the whole supercharging network by hogging spaces doing a max of 100kW when other cars can do 120-145kW...

I have looked a lot at other threads but have a specific question on this subject I have not seen discussed.

M3 Dual Motor (LR). I did 2 charges at the same stall (6B) of the same SC (Lincoln City Oregon) earlier this week (no sharing in either case). First: 39% - 70% started at 115KW then trailed off as expected. Second, about 36 hours later: 52% - 72% started at 52KW and stayed there.

All of the curves I see start at initial battery levels much lower than 50%.
Here is my question:

Does _starting_ the charge at over 50% result in a substantially reduced initial rate? i.e. substantially lower than it would be at the same battery charge level but started from a much lower level. Or could the difference I saw be a somewhat lower temp or just random fluctuation that everybody sees?

Can also be that the next stall over is not the pair.
Savannah GA has miswired stations. IE adjacent stalls are not paired.

Thanks, sorry I was not complete.

At 110+KW the first time, there were cars in 1A, 2A, 3A. I was in 6B and got full rate in the 120KW Supercharger.
The second time, I was the only car in the entire Supercharger but got only 52KW.

I actually tried 6A the second day and got 52KW and switched to 6B because that was what I had used before, but still 1/2 the speed of the previous charge.

Also, I navigated to the Supercharger in both cases from the same place for about 6 minutes and saw the message that it was preparing the battery.

Last edited: