Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is just so weird - and really stinks if you have a bike rack. The signage seems identical with the prior one...are these intended to protect the pedestals (the posts seem to be filled with concrete going by another plugshare photo)? Or did Stripe Rite, Inc just get the Posts Wrong?

I'm guessing some sort of major miscommunication between Tesla and whoever did the work. Maybe somewhere in the communication chain between Tesla and the installer, someone translated the requested location of the post into "XX inches east of the center of the concrete curb at the back of the stall", when it should have been "west".

Or maybe the error was on the requested location of the original (now removed posts), and the installer recognized the error and put the posts where they should have been. Then someone did an audit of the original work, and flagged that the post location didn't match the requested location. Auditor demanded that the work be redone.

The different model Teslas have different rear overhangs, so it may be difficult to pick one parking block location that works for all years and models.

They need the new automagically adjusted parking blocks to arrive. A video camera will feed a neural engine that identifies the model and year of the Tesla, and which stall it is backing into. Then the parking blocks are are moved to the correction location to prevent the bumper from hitting the pole, while being close enough to allow the charging cable to reach.

But first, the driver must enable the "Automatically set parking block (Beta)" option on the charging page. If not, the blocks will be set at the front of the stall, preventing ICE vehicle parking.

The only thing I can think is that these are to keep damage to the pedestals from happening. Either from people backing up too far and going over the parking stop and slightly hitting the pedestal, or people that actually do have bike racks or other things and those hit the pedestals. I have seen some superchargers that have cracked pedestals or even some that are slightly bent/leaning. This certainly would stop that from happening... but if that's the driving factor, it would have been much better to position these as far back as possible... probably another four or five inches...

Further, this location probably isn't as prone to damage anyway because the pedestals seem really well spaced to where they're on the line of each space...

I already feel like I don't have enough room to backup and charge in an S (looking at you leavenworth), not sure how this will work. Definitely forget about getting into the rear hatch while charging. Like some of you, I'm leaning towards the "mistake" category.

This is a complete non-starter for me. Even with my rack empty and folded I won't be able to get close enough for that cable to reach. When I make that trip I'll have at least 2 bikes on the back. Ridiculous.

Here's to hoping it was a mistake and they'll be changing that soon!

Then again, looking closer, it looks like the stalls are oriented backwards (cord should pull from the other side) to maximize the reach. Even with bikes on and those signs where they were on the other side of the curb, I may not have been able to charge here. :rolleyes:

I think you'd need to back in at an angle, using part of the nose of the stall to the left to get the charging port appreciably closer to the pedestal. This would effectively turn it into a 7 stall station, but I've never seen more than three Teslas charging there so that is a workable solution for the next few years.

Thank a lot for taking the initiative @khorton. The permit linked further upthread also has the contact info for the contractor (striperite) if case you want to pursue this further.
I didn't get a response from my email to Tesla, so I've emailed StripeRite to point out the issue, and ask if they are 100% certain the work was performed exactly as Tesla requested, and when they expect it to be corrected if an error was made. If they claim everything was done correctly, then I'll start using random Tesla contact support channels, none of which seem designed for this type of issue. Roadside assistance might be a good first attempt, as they likely get numerous calls about Superchargers being down and likely have internal contacts to the Supercharger team.

Reactions: fawu and Rocky_H
I didn't get a response from my email to Tesla, so I've emailed StripeRite to point out the issue, and ask if they are 100% certain the work was performed exactly as Tesla requested, and when they expect it to be corrected if an error was made. If they claim everything was done correctly, then I'll start using random Tesla contact support channels, none of which seem designed for this type of issue. Roadside assistance might be a good first attempt, as they likely get numerous calls about Superchargers being down and likely have internal contacts to the Supercharger team.
The sign posts have already been removed and put in the right place