Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Springfield, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i've just driven by the site. status is similar to the last picture posted where the main building appears to be modtl completed but the parking lot is all torn up. did not see any pedestals or signs of tesla-specific construction.

November 18 seems like a bit of a stretch but it is true that these construction guys sometimes can knock out a parking lot in days...

will be great when this is in place for day trips to/from kc

The Ribbon Cutting/Grand Opening event, hosted by O'Reilly Hospitality (the one's opening the site) has been set for 4pm Friday, November 18th with a party to follow at 5pm.

They have asked me to try to help organize a Tesla owners presence at the event. As such I'm encouraging anyone in the area who is free that day to attend and arrive at 3:30pm so we can get parked and organized.

I am NOT able to confirm that the Supercharger will be activated by the time of this event. I believe they are pushing hard to accomplish this and certainly hope it will be open and if you look above there are photos where installation has begun, but at this point nobody can give me assurances that it will be open.

I will provide updates.

If you're on Facebook, I created an event page, I'd love for you to sign up so I can give O'Reilly a head count prior to the event.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/199995340384360/
https://www.facebook.com/events/1327197513977321/

Is that event link broken, or is it maybe blocked if you're not in the Tesla Ozarks FB group? I get a 'Page Not Found' error. I would like to share the event to the Route 66 Electric Car Club Facebook group.
I believe you do have to be in the FB group. Feel free to share the information. I'll ask to join the Route 66 group (wasn't aware of it).

Visited the Springfield, MO construction site: Turns out none of the images posted above are of the specific build site. The actual site is about 600 ft away (across the lot) on the South side of the parking area most adjacent to I-44 itself. The site is actually quite far along in construction, and unless bad weather or some other calamity strikes, it looks like they should likely be ready by the 18th.

The good news is that the site location seems sufficiently out of the mainstream path that ICEing should not be exacerbated unless traffic census is extremely high. The chargers are about 150 ft SSW of the SW corner of the building.

Because the cabinet backs were partially open, I was able to get some shots showing the wiring feed-ins and the massive ventilation ducts in the units. The placard inside the chargers indicate these are SuperCharger II's @ 135KW. Perhaps those more familiar with this hardware than I can garner addition clues from these images:

Here are 14 pictures shot of the site today (Oct 30).

Last edited:
Visited the Springfield, MO construction site: Turns out none of the images posted above are of the specific build site. The actual site is about 600 ft away (across the lot) on the South side of the parking area most adjacent to I-44 itself. The site is actually quite far along in construction, and unless bad weather or some other calamity strikes, it looks like they should likely be ready by the 18th.

The good news is that the site location seems sufficiently out of the mainstream path that ICEing should not be exacerbated unless traffic census is extremely high. The chargers are about 150 ft SSW of the SW corner of the building.

Because the cabinet backs were partially open, I was able to get some shots showing the wiring feed-ins and the massive ventilation ducts in the units. The placard inside the chargers indicate these are SuperCharger II's @ 135KW. Perhaps those more familiar with this hardware than I can garner addition clues from these images:

Here are 14 pictures shot of the site today (Oct 30).
Great shots Phil, and it certainly looks like it should be more than ready for the Nov. 18th grand opening!

You are correct, but If you look in the background of Picture #5 you will see a couple of the transformers sitting on pallets, ready to be placed into position. Given the wonderful weather we've had this past week, my money is that they probably have been by now. May try and swing by again this coming weekend for some updated pics.
Sorry, but that looks like switchgear, not transformers. I've not seen a site with more than one pad mounted transformer. The only multiple transformer installations I'm aware of have been pole mounted. Someone let me know if I'm mistaken.

Reactions: otter and CSFTN
Agree, great pictures ... but the transformer pad is empty. Same story, another iteration. Will need to wait on transformer.

Regarding the feed-In transformer, It's supplied by the UtilCo, rather than Tesla, correct? (This site schematic would appear to suggest so.)

We have had beautiful weather all week, I would not be surprised if most of this work is already done by now. May try and get by this weekend for updated pics.

Reactions: otter and CSFTN
I will be traveling from Texas to Chicago next Sunday (Nov 13). Any chance this SC coming on line soon? I hate to have to travel up to KS and pick up I-70.
Have you considered stopping at a Destination Charger in Springfield (say for lunch) and charge for an hour or more while eating. The total distance to Rolla from Tulsa is about 276 miles so driving a little slower might only require 276 rated miles. Wind coming out of the south and southwest will certainly help.
Good luck with your trip.

Jack--thanks for the suggestion. I was considering stopping overnight in Springfield since it looks to be about 13-14 hour trip from Austin to there. Coming home from Chicago it's only about 10 hour trip to Springfield. I would like to get a little further than that. That's a good suggestion if the wind isn't too strong coming from the west I might consider doing that.

Jack--thanks for the suggestion. I was considering stopping overnight in Springfield since it looks to be about 13-14 hour trip from Austin to there. Coming home from Chicago it's only about 10 hour trip to Springfield. I would like to get a little further than that. That's a good suggestion if the wind isn't too strong coming from the west I might consider doing that.
Go for it. I did Tulsa to St. Louis two weeks ago, and I'm doing Tulsa to Indianapolis next week.

Driving 60 for about two hours will get you to Rolla fine if the weather's still fair. I actually stopped at a destination charger and walked to McDonald's in Joplin for 30 minutes because I was ready for a break.

Joplin and Springfield have a surprisingly high number of destination chargers. And if you read the user comments on PlugShare, you'll see several who don't mind if you're not a customer.

Last edited:
Well, since you ask so nicely, here's the latest:

Springfield, MO Tesla Supercharger construction images November 8, 2016

These guys are not slacking off for Election day, the individual charge stations are installed and nearly finished, Three electricians and a site foreman were hard at it and it looks like they are getting closer. The Grand Opening on the 18th is looking like it might well be Supercharged.
Thank you, thank you for the great pictures! (Sorry if my request seemed so curt, just getting anxious). Hopefully we will see these operational on the 18th.