Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Springfield, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would walk across the street to the Hilton then. There is a place called Houlihans that opens at 6am across the street as well.

There is a Starbucks, actually, but it would be a little bit of a walk. If it's a long stop and you want to use your legs that might be a good option and should be open.
Thanks. Long stop is planned for the next stop so we can eat breakfast at Glen Allen or Richmond.

Just throwing this on here to let people know that this Supercharger is mostly dominated by Model S and Model X. I've charged mostly at late evenings to avoid any crowding and lower ambient temperature for the battery to be in a cooler environment, as it'll heat up from the Supercharging. I have occasionally Supercharged in the mornings while doing errands (shopping at Target) while paying attention to the weather to keep the car cool while charging. I've seen a couple of Model 3 stop by to charge, but it's still rare to see another Model 3 than mine Supercharging here. Best moment so far was meeting some young Korean lady who just got her Model 3 from Tysons Corner for about a week. Struck up a nice chat to kill time while charging. Friendly Tesla owners using this Supercharging station. Can't find something like this at gas stations to have a cordial chat.

Just throwing this on here to let people know that this Supercharger is mostly dominated by Model S and Model X. I've charged mostly at late evenings to avoid any crowding and lower ambient temperature for the battery to be in a cooler environment, as it'll heat up from the Supercharging. I have occasionally Supercharged in the mornings while doing errands (shopping at Target) while paying attention to the weather to keep the car cool while charging. I've seen a couple of Model 3 stop by to charge, but it's still rare to see another Model 3 than mine Supercharging here. Best moment so far was meeting some young Korean lady who just got her Model 3 from Tysons Corner for about a week. Struck up a nice chat to kill time while charging. Friendly Tesla owners using this Supercharging station. Can't find something like this at gas stations to have a cordial chat.

I'm seeing more Model 3s show up. Last night there were two 3s, two S and an X at about 9:30 PM when I cruised through. There was another 3 on a ChargePoint station in the garage.

Reactions: hoang51
I'm seeing more Model 3s show up. Last night there were two 3s, two S and an X at about 9:30 PM when I cruised through. There was another 3 on a ChargePoint station in the garage.

I wanted to charge my car last night instead of this morning, but I had time constraints. I didn't know that there was a ChargePoint station in the parking garage to shield from the weather elements. But too slow for me to use anyway. Definitely saw the other chargers in front rows while walking to Target from the Supercharger station.

Oh, also to note, I'm glad that Tesla decided to change the Supercharger Idle Fee conditions. I didn't realize my car finished charging when I was talking to the new Model 3 owner and it was definitely more than 5 minutes have passed by since it finished charging. There were only 3 cars charging, so it didn't even break the 50+% occupancy level to charge idle fee.

I wanted to charge my car last night instead of this morning, but I had time constraints. I didn't know that there was a ChargePoint station in the parking garage to shield from the weather elements. But too slow for me to use anyway. Definitely saw the other chargers in front rows while walking to Target from the Supercharger station.

Oh, also to note, I'm glad that Tesla decided to change the Supercharger Idle Fee conditions. I didn't realize my car finished charging when I was talking to the new Model 3 owner and it was definitely more than 5 minutes have passed by since it finished charging. There were only 3 cars charging, so it didn't even break the 50+% occupancy level to charge idle fee.

There are six ChargePoint stations in the garage by Dick's Sporting Goods and the theaters. They provide up to 30 amps at 208 volts*, while the Volta stations by the restaurants provide 32 amps at 208 volts. These are good options if you're planning on having dinner or staying for a while. All of them are free.

*The center two stations in the garage share a circuit, while the outer stations have are circuited individually. The center stations are ideal for plug-in hybrids due to their limited speed.

We are also seeing a lot of 3's no matter where we drive but a lot at the Jessup SC.

Tysons has just become a zoo. we try to charge there daily and not having very good luck. All 8 stalls are always being used so may 26 amp charge at best. :(

Hey but I'm glad we have all the Tesla's on the road.

I was just a this supercharger and met a first-time Tesla owner who was going on his first trip tomorrow to Philly. Got to talking with him and realized he knew nothing about his Tesla (Model X). I spent 15 minutes with him and showed him the basics of the nav system (which he had never used!), autopliot (which he had never used!), windshield wipers (which he had never used!), headlights, etc. He was appreciative to say the least, but it brings home (in my mind) the importance of Owners talking to each other at Superchargers and sharing experiences and knowledge.

For 6.2 million people living around, and the rest of the country traveling to our quiet little town with the charm of the Northeast and the expediency of the South o_O (don't remember who coined that, it stuck) the charging infrastructure including the Superchargers is grossly insufficient.

Reactions: Lanny
@BlueShift used last week, definitely goes up to 150 kW now

This Supercharger station saw the increase charging rate long ago. I've got about 145 kW, but never seen 150 kW.

FYI, while I was charging earlier tonight, Tesla categorized this station as high-usage Supercharger station. Normally, it isn't. I think this has to do with the upcoming Labor Day holiday. I got the message through the Tesla app. I think someone messed up at Tesla because the message says 90% charge limit, but when I checked the battery SOC level in the Tesla app, it was set to 80%, which is normal for high-usage Supercharger stations.

There were two other Teslas charging when I left (same amount when I got there), so it's not dependent on the time of day or the load.

This Supercharger station saw the increase charging rate long ago. I've got about 145 kW, but never seen 150 kW.

FYI, while I was charging earlier tonight, Tesla categorized this station as high-usage Supercharger station. Normally, it isn't. I think this has to do with the upcoming Labor Day holiday. I got the message through the Tesla app. I think someone messed up at Tesla because the message says 90% charge limit, but when I checked the battery SOC level in the Tesla app, it was set to 80%, which is normal for high-usage Supercharger stations.

There were two other Teslas charging when I left (same amount when I got there), so it's not dependent on the time of day or the load.

The nominal peak rate of a V2 Supercharger is 144 kW. Anything in excess of that is due to stronger than normal grid voltage. So your experience at ~145 kW is perfectly normal for a site like Springfield that isn’t near any power plants.