Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St George, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enjoy those long days and short nights. When do you come back down below the 40th parallel?
How I love leading questions. How about:
"In that after Sept 21 (or so), at any given point X, the days are longer/nights shorter than they are at any location north of X...there's a good hint of an answer"?

Less obliquely, mid-Oct, more or less.

Thanks to everyone for the information on the progress. It is great to see that it is available.

As someone who has yet to take advantage of a super charger, what is it really like? The marketing claim was half charge in 20 minutes. Does that mean if you go in half charged, you are full at the end? Does it really take 20 minutes? Do most stations have bathrooms or whatever there (or within walking distance)?

Thanks.
Bob.

Sadly it doesn't mean that. It means that if you are empty, the only car charging on a particular supercharger, have a B battery pack, you might be half full after 20 minutes. Many stations have fast food and similar establishments for bathroom breaks, though if you get somewhere in the middle of the night you might be out of luck.

Because of the way the SpC tapers, charging the second half of the battery will take significantly longer, twice as long or more.

Right from teslamotors.com/supercharger

Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 9.05.30 AM.png

Thanks to everyone for the information on the progress. It is great to see that it is available.

As someone who has yet to take advantage of a super charger, what is it really like? The marketing claim was half charge in 20 minutes. Does that mean if you go in half charged, you are full at the end? Does it really take 20 minutes? Do most stations have bathrooms or whatever there (or within walking distance)?

Thanks.
Bob.

a) it is really cool :)
b) if everything is aligned (no sharing of charger, started out very empty), you can get roughly half a charge in 20 minutes - I would say it's more like 25.
c) no, you can definitely not go from half charge to full in 20 minutes - the power is about 2/3 peak (i.e. about 80 kW) once the battery is at half charge, the power is at about half peak (60 kW) at 80% charge, and continues to taper - the last 10% takes a very, very long time by comparison. (It's rare that you would want to charge past 90%.)
d) yes, it really takes 20 minutes (from near-empty to add enough to make it to the next charger IN MANY CASES, definitely not all)
e) nope, there usually are no bathrooms nearby unless you visit a restaurant

It's a poor-quality video, but for those who haven't seen a Supercharger operate: On the road - victoriasports
(I took this by setting up an iPod Touch in the cup holders. As I say, it's not great quality, but you get the gist.)

Last edited:
Basically, the more charge you have the slower it goes. If you start at empty, yes you can get half in about 20. If you are already full it will take much longer to get the second half.

Related to the current topic, but not necessarily to the thread; does anyone think that Superchargers will ever add something similar to a convenience store or always leverage existing local businesses? If one needs to just use the restroom, they are now social obligated to order something at the restaurant. Also does anyone desire items that you can pick up at a gas station convenience store that you can't find in restaurants? Bottles of water, chips, energy drinks?

Last edited:
Interesting thought, might Tesla one day open large SpC installations, with dozens of slots, and something that resembles a gas station convenience store/rest stop/airport-type lounge. Might help to pay for the cost of running the thing. If they really put 200,000 Models III on the road, how will the current system keep up? 4-8 slots here and there won't cut it.

Interesting thought, might Tesla one day open large SpC installations, with dozens of slots, and something that resembles a gas station convenience store/rest stop/airport-type lounge. Might help to pay for the cost of running the thing. If they really put 200,000 Models III on the road, how will the current system keep up? 4-8 slots here and there won't cut it.

There might end up being huge sites, but I think more likely, and more usefully, Supercharger stations would simply "in-fill" the spaces between stations. i.e. it makes more sense to have 5 Supercharger stations with say 10 stalls each, than 1 Supercharger station with 50 stalls.

If real-time usage information is added to the nav screen, this could work well. If you have a choice of 3 or 4 Supercharger stations before you exhaust your range, you might skip the next one or two if they show as being busy.

This is some ways off in the future! This summer at most of the stations I was either the only one, or one of two. Occasionally there were 3, and the one time at Harris Ranch there was 6.

I'm sure it would be more expensive for them to build, but they could test out this little project at Hawthorne, where there is already a customer lounge, restrooms, vending machines, etc. Make it a little nicer, and add some additional amenities and see how much the sales revenue generates...

I'm sure it would be more expensive for them to build, but they could test out this little project at Hawthorne, where there is already a customer lounge, restrooms, vending machines, etc. Make it a little nicer, and add some additional amenities and see how much the sales revenue generates...

I didn't know that. At least those are the amenities of the state rest areas. That would be nice.

Re: this one being kind of far from the freeway - I encourage anyone traveling north from there to just go straight up hwy 18 (instead of backtracking to I-15 thru what can be surprisingly bad traffic there) check your map, you'll end up in Cedar City and back on I-15 anyway & it's a very nice drive. Watch out for deer if you do it at night though. ML

Re: this one being kind of far from the freeway - I encourage anyone traveling north from there to just go straight up hwy 18 (instead of backtracking to I-15 thru what can be surprisingly bad traffic there) check your map, you'll end up in Cedar City and back on I-15 anyway & it's a very nice drive. Watch out for deer if you do it at night though. ML
I wouldn't try this at dusk or night. the deer problem is real and I have hit 3 of them in my travels on this route. 1 of them cost my insurance company $5000.00.

Are you saying take 18-N then 56-E? Looks like a much longer drive than just going back to the 15.

Charged in St Geo Friday night, worked fine. With an A battery pack the faster chargers don't do me any good. Only problem is if you're there later pretty much everything is closed except the Del Taco. There are some fast food places on the way on Bluff. I just sat on the curb eating Arby's while charging, though the Starbucks has patio chairs and tables out front.

I'm now charging in Brian Head on 110 and added 50 miles in 12 hours. But only need 85 or so to get back to St Geo.