Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St George, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like it doesn't matter now since he successfully charged at St. George, but no amount of slow driving was going to allow his S75D to make it from Vegas to Beaver without charging somewhere along the way.

Right. Beaver was sub-freezing, and there was some wind here and there too. But I made it home at 1:45 a.m. after going straight through from Vegas, after a wedding there.

They failed to realize these SC attract people to local businesses that normally otherwise would not get these added traffic. That bring in money to the city.

Yep: I'm spending money in a lot of places I never would have stopped otherwise. Even got a quick car wash in Beaver on the way out since the car was completely mudded out by driving through the snow storms!

I’m planning to charge here on my upcoming trip from Las Vegas to Page, Arizona. Any suggestions on the best route off the highway?
There aren't any good alternatives, other than taking the I-15 interstate north to St. George, supercharging there, and then taking the two-lane highways to Page (278 miles total). I suppose you could also take the route to supercharge in Kingman and then Flagstaff, AZ, and from there to Page, but it is much longer (386 miles).

There aren't any good alternatives, other than taking the I-15 interstate north to St. George, supercharging there, and then taking the two-lane highways to Page (278 miles total). I suppose you could also take the route to supercharge in Kingman and then Flagstaff, AZ, and from there to Page, but it is much longer (386 miles).
Thanks, I was actually looking for a good highway exit in St. George. I read somewhere that the one shown on the Nav Screen is much longer than another on, but that post didn’t name it.

Thanks, I was actually looking for a good highway exit in St. George. I read somewhere that the one shown on the Nav Screen is much longer than another on, but that post didn’t name it.
Ah… got it! The Nav map will tell you to take the Bluff Street exit, and then drive north on Bluff Street until you reach the Superchargers in the Sunset Plaza shopping area, by Starbucks. I always suggest that drivers pass that exit and then get off instead at the St. George Blvd exit; turn left and go one block to 1000 East; turn right and go one block, then turn left onto Red Hills Parkway. That Parkway will take you over the desert to Bluff Street without having to deal with all the traffic, stop lights, and lower speeds. When you come down the hill from the desert, turn left onto Bluff Street/Highway 18, and in just a couple of blocks the Superchargers are on your right, behind Starbucks.

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 4.20.06 PM.png

Ah… got it! The Nav map will tell you to take the Bluff Street exit, and then drive north on Bluff Street until you reach the Superchargers in the Sunset Plaza shopping area, by Starbucks. I always suggest that drivers pass that exit and then get off instead at the St. George Blvd exit; turn left and go one block to 1000 East; turn right and go one block, then turn left onto Red Hills Parkway. That Parkway will take you over the desert to Bluff Street without having to deal with all the traffic, stop lights, and lower speeds. When you come down the hill from the desert, turn left onto Bluff Street/Highway 18, and in just a couple of blocks the Superchargers are on your right, behind Starbucks.

View attachment 386096
Perfect, thanks so much. I’m looking forward to this trip.

I've taken both routes and don't recall there being a huge difference in time. The supercharger is somewhat inconveniently located quite a ways from the interstate so either way it's going to be a bit of a detour. That being said, I like the nearby businesses so I kind of like the location in a sense. The route provided above is definitely less traffic and more scenic, but if you are low on charge, you should probably drive through the city because it's shorter and has slower speed limits.

There will be some major roadwork on I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge between Las Vegas and St. George - where the interstate crosses the corner of Arizona, starting in April and running into spring 2020. With traffic reduced to one lane in each direction, there are likely to be major delays whenever there is a lot of traffic. I would highly recommend everyone to take old US 91 instead (which is now a county highway 91). Heading north from Vegas, you will leave I-15 at highway 91 in Littlefield, AZ and come into St. George from the northwest. This two lane highway just so happens to arrive into town right by the superchargers. This route is only 5 miles further to the SC than the I-15 route, and less than 15 minutes of extra time under normal conditions. With any backup on I-15, it's going to be a straight-up faster route. And it's a pleasant drive, too.

Google Maps

There will be some major roadwork on I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge between Las Vegas and St. George - where the interstate crosses the corner of Arizona, starting in April and running into spring 2020. With traffic reduced to one lane in each direction, there are likely to be major delays whenever there is a lot of traffic. I would highly recommend everyone to take old US 91 instead (which is now a county highway 91). Heading north from Vegas, you will leave I-15 at highway 91 in Littlefield, AZ and come into St. George from the northwest. This two lane highway just so happens to arrive into town right by the superchargers. This route is only 5 miles further to the SC than the I-15 route, and less than 15 minutes of extra time under normal conditions. With any backup on I-15, it's going to be a straight-up faster route. And it's a pleasant drive, too.

Google Maps
Thanks for the tip! Just when I thought I had driven every (reasonable) desert highway, someone comes up with another one :)

I will be road tripping Seattle->SLC->Anaheim for NCAA tournament games in the next couple weeks so I will give this one a shot (even though it looks like I will be going through before construction begins).

It should be noted however that the drive on I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge is pretty amazing as well.

Google Maps
Thanks for the heads up

I just charged at St George, came from Vegas. Stayed on the 15 because the traffic was light. Only slowed down to 50 mph. Use the NAV it should guide you well.

I had issues with chargers 1A and 1B, started at 137 kW but dropped steadily to 25 kW for no apparent reason. I will try to repor the issue. It’s warm (89 F), maybe overhearing. I used 4A it was fine, stayed over 100 kW until 65% SOC.

Google Maps
The above referenced post still applies. Maybe even more so.

The I-15 construction in Virgin River Gorge has been expanded to include a longer section of interstate than it has up until now. Southbound traffic lanes are completely blocked, so southbound traffic is re-routed onto the northbound lanes, resulting in one lane each way. The lanes are separated by a concrete barrier, and the speed limit along parts of it is 40 mph. There are some very sharp curves in this part, too, so when it says to drive 40, DRIVE FORTY. The creep on your bumper will thank you as you wind around the blind curves.

I've seen traffic stacked up for five miles as of last week.

Word about the alternate route is spreading, though, so even the alt route is starting to feel the pressure.

If your jaunt along I-15 is going to take you through Virgin River Gorge or the alternate route, plan accordingly; make sure you have lots of battery charge to spare.

Does anyone else that typically uses the St. George supercharger feel that this one is misplaced compared to most other supercharger locations? It seems crazy that you have to take a 10-15 minute detour (20-30 minutes round trip) and leave I-15 each time to supercharge there. All the other Superchargers I’ve used, from Seattle to Las Vegas, are so conveniently placed right off the freeway. Does anyone know the process to officially press the location issue with Tesla?

Does anyone else that typically uses the St. George supercharger feel that this one is misplaced compared to most other supercharger locations? It seems crazy that you have to take a 10-15 minute detour (20-30 minutes round trip) and leave I-15 each time to supercharge there. All the other Superchargers I’ve used, from Seattle to Las Vegas, are so conveniently placed right off the freeway. Does anyone know the process to officially press the location issue with Tesla?
I totally agree. I don’t know how one would approach Tesla about an additional supercharger site in St. George, but I think one in Mesquite Nevada would be a good alternative. I recently took a trip to Lake Powell from Las Vegas and was concerned that the only supercharger between the two was St. George. The one upside was the adjacent Starbucks and The Egg and I restaurant.

I live in the area and will admit that the Supercharger site is not as convenient as in many locations. Still, if you get off at the exit for St. George Boulevard and take Red Hills Parkway to the plaza, it is fairly quick and free of congestion. Other Superchargers that I have used are also some distance from the highway (Page, Tremonton, Green River, Moab, Grand Junction). I would imagine that Tesla had problems convincing the businesses by the 4 major exits in St. George to let them install the Superchargers on their property, since these were among the first installed in the network cross-country, before it was clear that EVs were the future, inevitable, and could attract customers. Starbucks in Sunset Plaza was probably the closest they could get to the freeway at the time. Perhaps, as demand grows, they'll now be able to contract for another site closer to I-15…? Hope so! Soon they'll need more Superchargers along that corridor.