Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St. Louis Park, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not necessarily. There are a zillion variables that influence when a SC gets built, at what speed, etc. One factor is the property leasing arrangement. Every one of those must be negotiated, and it may be that Target doesn't even own the property, they may just lease it from someone else, which means another party has to get involved. Then there's permitting and so on...

So, the progress of one SC usually doesn't have much influence on the progress of another.

Fair enough.
I agree too many variables.... however, in this case the permits for Minnetonka and Minneapolis are already there...

And in some cases the completion of one supercharger has been indicating the next one is about to start... for example Alexandria finally finished.. and then suddenly St. Louis park construction starts up.

And similarly as they deployed these v3 superchargers across the transcanada highway... that same pattern seemed to happen.

So I’m hopeful the next TC ones will start soon... but you’re right, could be many other factors

Same story today. I don't know much about electrical equipment, but all that I can tell is missing is the meter display and glass enclosure that surrounds it.

---Sorry for the non-update....I just know people are anxious for this to open so I am updating even where there isn't much to report.

Reactions: MikeMacMan
Will it show up on the vehicle map right away? as soon as it is online?

There have been instances where a new Supercharger will be functional for a few days, and then go offline, presumably for some type of final approval/testing. In situations like that, the map only displays the station after the final approval. I drive by this Target at least once/day, I'll keep "non-updating."

This is how the meter looked the other day. I drove by this morning and nothing has changed except the drill is gone. :)

Attachments

• 67309A0C-DC1D-4CB0-8741-0C658CB28E0D.jpeg
    67309A0C-DC1D-4CB0-8741-0C658CB28E0D.jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 169
No news/bad news here. The Chargepoint stations still have bags around their plugs, so they're clearly not active still. Most of the Superchargers have caution tape around them, so they aren't active either. However, the Supercharger on the left side of the station is basically destroyed and laying sideways on the ground. Looks like a vehicle collided with it. Whether it was an accident or intentional, the charger will need to be replaced. No idea if the damage is more extensive than that.

IMG_6958.jpg IMG_6388.jpg IMG_2224.jpg

No news/bad news here. The Chargepoint stations still have bags around their plugs, so they're clearly not active still. Most of the Superchargers have caution tape around them, so they aren't active either. However, the Supercharger on the left side of the station is basically destroyed and laying sideways on the ground. Looks like a vehicle collided with it. Whether it was an accident or intentional, the charger will need to be replaced. No idea if the damage is more extensive than that.

View attachment 522914 View attachment 522915 View attachment 522916
That is such a bummer. Guessing it'll be a pretty big delay having to figure out what happened, order a new pedestal, remove the old one and fix the damage, install the new one, inspect the whole thing, and finally turn it on. This proves to me that they picked a bad location in the lot for this supercharger. Probably did it to make it easier to connect to the grid, but making us stop and back in to charge while in the middle of one of the main entrance roads was a bad choice imo

That is such a bummer. Guessing it'll be a pretty big delay having to figure out what happened, order a new pedestal, remove the old one and fix the damage, install the new one, inspect the whole thing, and finally turn it on. This proves to me that they picked a bad location in the lot for this supercharger. Probably did it to make it easier to connect to the grid, but making us stop and back in to charge while in the middle of one of the main entrance roads was a bad choice imo
That entrance is used far less than the other one, but that particular charger is in an odd spot relative to the others. Whoever hit it really had to screw up though; the direction it's leaning meant they had to drive on the wrong side of the entrance and hop the curb pretty substantially.

Hopefully the other chargers can be made active while the replacement is ordered. I also cameras caught who did it.

Stuff like this should be protected by steel/concrete bollards for precisely this reason. I assume too this is positioned to allow vehicles pulling trailers to charge, which especially makes the placement weird considering a trailer would block the driveway.

It also demonstrates that it's not to difficult for computers to improve on humans when it comes to tasks like driving.

Stuff like this should be protected by steel/concrete bollards for precisely this reason. I assume too this is positioned to allow vehicles pulling trailers to charge, which especially makes the placement weird considering a trailer would block the driveway.

It also demonstrates that it's not to difficult for computers to improve on humans when it comes to tasks like driving.

I always thought the two vertical stainless steel tubes that are integrated into the kiosks are bollards set in concrete. Maybe I was wrong or the the V3 design is different. The cabinets usually have a fence around them at least.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 9.55.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 9.55.56 AM.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 114
That entrance is used far less than the other one, but that particular charger is in an odd spot relative to the others. Whoever hit it really had to screw up though; the direction it's leaning meant they had to drive on the wrong side of the entrance and hop the curb pretty substantially.

Hopefully the other chargers can be made active while the replacement is ordered. I also cameras caught who did it.

If you look at the way the entrance curves there, it's likely that someone came in at too high a speed and was not able to make the turn (and thus hit the pedestal). IMO the placement of the chargers is not ideal for that reason. It would have been better to place them in a "quiet" corner of the parking lot.

I always thought the two vertical stainless steel tubes that are integrated into the kiosks are bollards set in concrete. Maybe I was wrong or the the V3 design is different. The cabinets usually have a fence around them at least.

From the photos I saw of the recent V3 chargers on the Trans-Canada it seems those tubes are decorative. Many of the TC sites have thick tube steel bollards between the pedestals, but cleverly centered level with the pedestal centers - by the time they stop anything a vehicle has already done damage to the pedestals. (My suggestion there was to weld another steel tube in front of the first one to provide some better protection.)