Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St. Peter, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Occam's Razor would suggest that they simply found a better deal and/or better business partner in St. Peter than they could find in Mankato. Just from looking at a map, it's easy to see that there's basically no way that St. Peter is preferable to Mankato, but like others have pointed out, it probably isn't that big a deal.

You make several good points. I've started to become rather curious how Tesla makes Supercharger location decisions. I'm sure it is largely based on telemetry - and based on my own (anecdotal) evidence, it's clear there are quite a few Tesla's using the 169 corridor these days. The St. Peter charger will help out a great deal with that.

Still, it is curious to see them pick it over the Mankato/North Mankato metro (yes, it is technically a metro area) with a much larger population, and quite a bit more commerce. I'm guessing it was part telemetry, part permitting issues. I'm sure people had similar thoughts when Tesla built a charger up in Clearwater, instead of St. Cloud. I'm not personally affected by it; I live in the area, but I charge at home. I'm just fascinated by their decision making process.
I think they also look at not just location/telemetry, but also amenities available at a location: food, restrooms, internet, retail, etc. That I think helps explain the decision to locate a supercharger at Clearwater, given the C-store, restrooms, and good food on offer. This I think also helps to explain the location of the supercharger in Hinckley, at Tobies. This is also in evidence in Grand Island, NE; the supercharger there is located at Bosselman, which has a full-service restaurant, fast food options, and a motel on site, along with a C-store.

Reactions: hybridbear
Occam's Razor would suggest that they simply found a better deal and/or better business partner in St. Peter than they could find in Mankato. Just from looking at a map, it's easy to see that there's basically no way that St. Peter is preferable to Mankato, but like others have pointed out, it probably isn't that big a deal.
Probably not, since Hy-Vee has two stores in Mankato, though I think Tesla wanted easier access to 169. Even so, this would make the trip from the Twin Cities to Worthington using 60 much easier, since we would not have to divert to Albert Lea or Sherburn. This also completes an alternate route from the Twin Cities to Lincoln, NE; one could then take 169 to Mankato, MN/IA 60 und US 75 to Sioux City, then 77 to Lincoln. The freeway rebuild in Council Bluffs is basically done as far as I-80 is concerned; when I was there in July, 29 north of 80 was a construction zone.

Reactions: hybridbear