Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - St. Peter, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 67F2F590-104E-47CE-8C92-57A02DD37B71.jpeg
    67F2F590-104E-47CE-8C92-57A02DD37B71.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 155EB595-6BBA-4974-A345-530678841EEA.jpeg
    155EB595-6BBA-4974-A345-530678841EEA.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 52
Charged here today around lunch time. Worked great. Only Tesla here. Contractor on-site finishing up some aesthetics.
Hy-Vee is a nice SC location; hot food, snacks/groceries, and working and clean restrooms!
Nice location to open up Mankato area (wineries, Minneopa state park, etc.) Would have been difficult before now to do this day trip in a Tesla from the northern twin cities metro area.

Little disappointing its not in Mankato, but St Peter is not too far.
Like I said earlier, it also happens to be in the same county as part of the city of Mankato.
I suspect this location is replacing the announced Mankato, MN supercharger as it's only 15 miles away and still on US Hwy 169. Less ideal for people traveling on US 14 but not a significant detour.
Mankato, MN | Tesla
A pretty simple detour: MN 99 from Nicollet to St. Peter; choose from US 169 or MN 22 for St. Peter to Mankato.

Little disappointing its not in Mankato, but St Peter is not too far.
Perhaps Tesla used the telemetry data from the fleet to determine that St Peter was a better location. Maybe there are very few Teslas going east/west on 14 that would need a Supercharger in Mankato, but lots going north/south on 169. And if they've determined that lots of drivers make the trip from the Twin Cities to the Mankato area & back then they could have determined that St Peter was a better spot because then on that round trip drivers stop to charge on their way home a few minutes into the journey, instead of in Mankato. That means that on that round trip the battery % will be lower by the time owners get to St Peter which will mean faster charging speeds. And since St Peter is a few miles closer to the Twin Cities it means less charging time.

When we made a trip to the SW USA in August we went through SW MN down to I-90 in Worthington. Getting from the Twin Cities to Worthington is no issue starting at 100% at home. But for ppl who live in the north metro that may not be possible. In winter it may not be possible even for ppl in the south metro. And going home, Worthington was a very long charging stop in order to get enough charge to get home. With a Supercharger in St Peter that trip will be much faster because we'll be able to make a short charging stop in Worthington & then a short stop in St Peter. It will decrease time for owners heading home to the Twin Cities from South Dakota & points west. And being slightly closer to the cities is preferable for those travelers compared to in Mankato.

Perhaps Tesla used the telemetry data from the fleet to determine that St Peter was a better location. Maybe there are very few Teslas going east/west on 14 that would need a Supercharger in Mankato, but lots going north/south on 169. And if they've determined that lots of drivers make the trip from the Twin Cities to the Mankato area & back then they could have determined that St Peter was a better spot because then on that round trip drivers stop to charge on their way home a few minutes into the journey, instead of in Mankato. That means that on that round trip the battery % will be lower by the time owners get to St Peter which will mean faster charging speeds. And since St Peter is a few miles closer to the Twin Cities it means less charging time.

When we made a trip to the SW USA in August we went through SW MN down to I-90 in Worthington. Getting from the Twin Cities to Worthington is no issue starting at 100% at home. But for ppl who live in the north metro that may not be possible. In winter it may not be possible even for ppl in the south metro. And going home, Worthington was a very long charging stop in order to get enough charge to get home. With a Supercharger in St Peter that trip will be much faster because we'll be able to make a short charging stop in Worthington & then a short stop in St Peter. It will decrease time for owners heading home to the Twin Cities from South Dakota & points west. And being slightly closer to the cities is preferable for those travelers compared to in Mankato.
You make several good points. I've started to become rather curious how Tesla makes Supercharger location decisions. I'm sure it is largely based on telemetry - and based on my own (anecdotal) evidence, it's clear there are quite a few Tesla's using the 169 corridor these days. The St. Peter charger will help out a great deal with that.

Still, it is curious to see them pick it over the Mankato/North Mankato metro (yes, it is technically a metro area) with a much larger population, and quite a bit more commerce. I'm guessing it was part telemetry, part permitting issues. I'm sure people had similar thoughts when Tesla built a charger up in Clearwater, instead of St. Cloud. I'm not personally affected by it; I live in the area, but I charge at home. I'm just fascinated by their decision making process.

Reactions: hybridbear