Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Stamford CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to @statisticsmike for this one:

Urban superchargers spotted under construction today at Ridgeway Shopping Center in Stamford. 10 stalls, lower level of the parking garage by Stop & Shop.

upload_2019-3-6_22-6-47.png

Odd location — not exactly just off the Merritt or 95. I was hoping the Stamford location would be just off 95 so it can be a better alternative to Darien, due to icing/overcrowding. I was hoping for either the Stamford Town Center or the Fairway Market parking lot.

Odd location — not exactly just off the Merritt or 95. I was hoping the Stamford location would be just off 95 so it can be a better alternative to Darien, due to icing/overcrowding. I was hoping for either the Stamford Town Center or the Fairway Market parking lot.
Based on the location and the use of the urban-style posts, I would say that this installation is envisioned as more for local area use rather than for through travelers on Merritt or I-95. So either for locals without solid home/work charging or for those who have driven to Stamford and are driving around the immediate area.

Reactions: Dan_A
That makes sense. Stamford does have a large population of people in apartment buildings who do not have access to home charging.

I know this is technically not “North Stamford”. But, there is also a possibility that this could be considered the North Stamford location and maybe there will eventually be another Stamford location closer to 95.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Chuq
I know this is technically not “North Stamford”. But, there is also a possibility that this could be considered the North Stamford location and maybe there will eventually be another Stamford location closer to 95.

Just the opposite. (IMO) this is the "Stamford" location and the "North Stamford" location is still TBD. The Greenwich SCs on the Merritt are terrible and ICEd all the time. A larger SC location right off Long Ridge or High Ridge Road would be the best location for a 12-stall, non-Urban SC installation. The Tesla "Coming Soon" map had pins in both "Stamford" and "North Stamford". I assume Ridgeway is the "Stamford" location and the "North Stamford" location is still pending (or even being built and we just haven't found it yet).

Reactions: statisticsmike
Not the location I would have guessed - not near the Merritt or I95, and not near where people live in apartments/condos. Still, not complaining.

The shopping center is between Bedford and Summer streets, which are now one-way - so approaching from the south one would enter from Bedford Street; from the north Summer Street. It is not a complicated parking lot; anyone local would have no problem finding the chargers.

Very busy parking lot, so putting them in the back is a good idea.

Not the location I would have guessed - not near the Merritt or I95, and not near where people live in apartments/condos.

But it is where A LOT of local people go shopping, especially with the huge stop+shop there. Plus Staples, BB&B, Old Navy, Michaels, Party City, etc. I wouldn't expect Tesla to put 72kW Urban Superchargers near where people live (apts/condos) because that would just invite owners to park there to charge, and just leave their cars there much longer than actually needed. I think a major shopping center is the perfect location for urban chargers. Give people enough time charge while there (typically an hour or so), but not block the stalls for others.

Also, 72kW Urban chargers wouldn't make sense near 95/Merritt. Those need to be the 145kW chargers for long distance travel. Which I still expect to see up near the Merritt.

Good point - I rarely go shopping there, but based on the congestion in the parking lot it seems many do!

We go there probably twice a month, but yeah, that surface parking lot is the worst. My wife likes the S+S there, and we hit up the BB&B and Party City on occasion. But we hate parking there. Now, I'll just head to the lower level off of Bedford street and avoid the top level altogether.

Anybody heard anything about a possible gallery at Stamford Towne Center? Wouldn't really make sense time wise with the announcement to close most locations. Just found this article saying they have leases for "luxury-vehicle showroom". Could that be anything other than Tesla?

Tesla has to close their only other gallery here because CT decided that the gallery was selling the cars and they are not allowed the sell here in CT.

So no probably not them.