Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Staten Island, NY - Veterans Road West

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I've tried to find an answer.. Tesla CS told me permits were the issue about two weeks ago. Today I was told by Tesla CS no information. I found supercharge.info and they say SI supercharger is in the construction phase... Still waiting. I just found out that Electric Vechiles do not get a break on getting off SI during peak hours... only off hours. FYI I applied for the PSI Easy Pass for discounts during peak hours going to NJ to charge.

Hi all, new to forum. I just got notified to pick up my Model 3 on December 19th in brooklyn. Any chance that Staten Island SC is open by then? What is going on with that SC ?

Based on the pictures shared thus far, there must be something going on behind the scenes still. Tesla has not shown up yet to commission the site, so something still needs to be done before they will come out. So perhaps there is a chance, but we'll have to wait and see.

Glad to be joining Tesla Model 3 family. btw, wife and I are senior citizens and a little apprehensive to adjusting to tesla after driving ICE vehicles for 50 years. Wish us luck.

Are you planning on putting in some charging at home? That will be the best and make things so easy. Seriously. If you can do it, do it. Having a massive SuperCharger network is awesome, and you make it work just off of that...but having charging at home makes owning an EV so much better.

Welcome to the Tesla family... Six months from now you'll probably be taking road-trips across the country. :)

Right now I have 120 volt outlets in the garage. I'll see how that works out

I can tell you now, that it's about 4 miles of range per hour... So...not great. Unless you only drive on the weekends, and then you're all set.

Tell an electrician you want a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage, because you need to install a drill press (or band saw). :) That way they don't try to add on the "Tesla premium" to the price quote.

Then you'll jump up to over 30 miles of range per hour. Quite a big difference. I have a Tesla wall connector in my garage hooked up to a 60 amp breaker and my son-in-law was getting 44 miles of ranger per hour on his Model 3 just last week.

• Helpful
Reactions: JustMe
I can tell you now, that it's about 4 miles of range per hour... So...not great. Unless you only drive on the weekends, and then you're all set.

Tell an electrician you want a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage, because you need to install a drill press (or band saw). :) That way they don't try to add on the "Tesla premium" to the price quote.

Then you'll jump up to over 30 miles of range per hour. Quite a big difference. I have a Tesla wall connector in my garage hooked up to a 60 amp breaker and my son-in-law was getting 44 miles of ranger per hour on his Model 3 just last week.
Actually you'll get 5mph for a Model 3 on a 120 volt outlet, so unless you drive more than 60 miles per day, that should be workable. That's all my wife has for her Model 3. On the other hand, if you are going to do a lot of trips where you arrive back empty then having a 240 volt NEMA 14-50 is worthwhile.

Actually you'll get 5mph for a Model 3 on a 120 volt outlet, so unless you drive more than 60 miles per day, that should be workable. That's all my wife has for her Model 3. On the other hand, if you are going to do a lot of trips where you arrive back empty then having a 240 volt NEMA 14-50 is worthwhile.

5 MPH until you find yourself parked outside in the winter and the car has to devote a considerable amount of the available power to warming the battery up so that it will accept a charge. In Michigan last winter in single digit temperatures, our average charge rate was probably down to 2-3 MPH. It kind of sucks when hotels don't have destination charging, although I was thankful for the 120 volt outlet.

5 MPH until you find yourself parked outside in the winter and the car has to devote a considerable amount of the available power to warming the battery up so that it will accept a charge. In Michigan last winter in single digit temperatures, our average charge rate was probably down to 2-3 MPH. It kind of sucks when hotels don't have destination charging, although I was thankful for the 120 volt outlet.
Yes, but the OP is talking about parking in a garage on Staten Island, which is a bit milder than Michigan :)

Hi all, new to forum. I just got notified to pick up my Model 3 on December 19th in brooklyn. Any chance that Staten Island SC is open by then? What is going on with that SC ?

Glad to be joining Tesla Model 3 family. btw, wife and I are senior citizens and a little apprehensive to adjusting to tesla after driving ICE vehicles for 50 years. Wish us luck.
Hi Were a senior family too! Welcome. Two of Us are tech savvy.. One of us is not. He's the oldest @ 71. It was a breeze.. So many "safety features" : ) Your going to love the car. Get the SI rate to save on Easy Pass trips to NJ. Learn the off peak times too... for cheeper trips over the bridge. Avoid Brooklyn Ect.... A lot of places charge you to park while you charge. Our first charge was the Destination Charger at Anglena's Happy Motoring.

Hi Were a senior family too! Welcome. Two of Us are tech savvy.. One of us is not. He's the oldest @ 71. It was a breeze.. So many "safety features" : ) Your going to love the car. Get the SI rate to save on Easy Pass trips to NJ. Learn the off peak times too... for cheeper trips over the bridge. Avoid Brooklyn Ect.... A lot of places charge you to park while you charge. Our first charge was the Destination Charger at Anglena's Happy Motoring.

Thank you for encouragement. In my family of two seniors, one of us is tech savvy(me) and one is not (my wife). My wife is all in on Tesla purchase, if she wasn't we wouldn't have bought.

We spend way too much time travelling to NJ since kids and grandkids are primarily located in NJ. We've got the EZ Pass staten island discount and it gets a work out.

Hopefully, Staten Island becomes more EV friendly.

Stopped by yesterday to see what’s up with the Staten Island site. It’s still missing the power meter. Everything else looks ready to go.

Good ol NYC bureaucracy I assume. Can take years!

Unfortunately tesla is viewed as a rich person vehicle, even though model 3 comes out cheaper over 5 years than a typical camry or Accord, and being rich in NYC is very bad. Ur considered a bad person to have gotten an education and busting ur chops and making money. Hence I doubt nyc will be rushing this...

*fingers crossed they got this all hooked by the time in order my Model 3 in March/April*

Does Supercharger installation normally take this long elsewhere in NYC?

NYC overall is a bad place. I lived there my whole life. Recently got out.

Very anti business, very anti car. Always making bike lanes, pedestrian stuff, never making any improvements for drivers.

So I'm sure this will take forever.

Also, make note the SC infrastructure in NYC sucks!

I'm sure it's bc nyc is difficult to work with.

Here you go...

Attachments

• 45841F36-B7D1-4DEB-B70E-31D0A868253C.jpeg
    45841F36-B7D1-4DEB-B70E-31D0A868253C.jpeg
    558.7 KB · Views: 114
  • B55E588E-7891-400A-97E2-E331EB388C36.jpeg
    B55E588E-7891-400A-97E2-E331EB388C36.jpeg
    732.1 KB · Views: 75