Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Statesville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to this article, a new supercharger station is in the permitting process at 1520 Cinema Drive in Statesville NC.

During the City of Statesville Technical Review Committee meeting Wednesday, city employees met with Zachary Sheets, associate project manager with GDP Group which handles permits and planning for the Tesla stations, to examine the site plan for an unknown number of chargers.

The address would put it between the Hampton Inn and Courtyard hotels.

Brilliant location for quite a few of us. I40-I77 is an excellent expansion. Yet another nail in the coffin for my CHAdeMO, not too long ago as important as was my portable CD player a few years earlier.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam
How do you come back from Snowshoe? I come back to Wytheville then CLT. Do you go another way?
30 miles shorter 10 minutes longer drive:
upload_2016-10-26_11-32-22.png

Well, crap. Not to be a "Debbie Downer" but I really would have rather seen Hickory, NC as that is on the route from Charlotte to Boone/Ski Resorts.
Boone is pretty easy (some criteria: on 85 or 90 and are planning to eat at one of the places that provides charging or you are staying overnight).

I went to Rough Ridge (on the parkway) and back without needing to charge, but you can stop by either Canyons (3 ev chargers of which 2 are Tesla) or the Japanese steak house in Boone (I believe only one Tesla charger) and after lunch/dinner of charging you are more then good.

I did not use any miles from Blowing Rock to Lenoir (which is 20 miles of regen to mild coasting). Then again, I don't have a problem taking my car to <=10 rated miles on a trip :)

Reactions: Drucifer
That's a great route. I take the grey route to Wytheville and eat Chinese food there.

Hickory would be great because I could hit it on the way up and back and not worry about charging at all while in Banner Elk. Statesville will work for a "day trip" to Appalachian for a quick ski day, as I could just hit that on the way home if I needed a little bump, though it adds a few miles.

I don't like to plan to ever go below 10% (approx 25 miles, but I use percents) remaining, though I have done it.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I was thinking about this comment... neither one of us lives near Huntersville, but I do know that traffic on I-77 is crazy during rush hour in both directiosn.
That extra 15 minutes will be more like extra 40 minutes if you leave on Friday after 3 pm... :confused:

True, though going out I-85 towards Gastonia is no great deal either @ rush hour. I was thinking more in terms of a "wake up early Sunday and go to Appalachian Ski Mountain for the day" where I can get up there, but I may need to charge a bit to make it back to Charlotte, especially during the cold months.

I was thinking about this comment... neither one of us lives near Huntersville, but I do know that traffic on I-77 is crazy during rush hour in both directiosn.
That extra 15 minutes will be more like extra 40 minutes if you leave on Friday after 3 pm... :confused:
The section of I-177 from exit 23 to exit 36 is very unpredictable (and will stay that way until the new toll lanes are completed). Traveling in that area during rush hour on any day of the week is not advisable. (I live in Cornelius - exit 28.) Happy to see a charger in Statesville, but I was definitely hoping for Columbia, SC or Charleston, WV...