TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger - Statesville, NC

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by emupilot, Oct 24, 2016.

1. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

According to this article, a new supercharger station is in the permitting process at 1520 Cinema Drive in Statesville NC.

The address would put it between the Hampton Inn and Courtyard hotels.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. mspisars

mspisars Member

It's about time we got I-40 and I-77 intersection!
    Excellent new, and great for return trips from WV (snowshoe) :)

• Informative x 1
  3. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Brilliant location for quite a few of us. I40-I77 is an excellent expansion. Yet another nail in the coffin for my CHAdeMO, not too long ago as important as was my portable CD player a few years earlier.

• Funny x 1
  4. democappy

democappy Member

Excellent. Now get Columbia finally moving and Charlotte is just about covered.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

Well, crap. Not to be a "Debbie Downer" but I really would have rather seen Hickory, NC as that is on the route from Charlotte to Boone/Ski Resorts.

6. pgiralt

pgiralt Supporting Member

Finally! This will make the trip from Raleigh to Asheville MUCH easier.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

How do you come back from Snowshoe? I come back to Wytheville then CLT. Do you go another way?

8. mspisars

mspisars Member

30 miles shorter 10 minutes longer drive:
    upload_2016-10-26_11-32-22.png

9. mspisars

mspisars Member

Boone is pretty easy (some criteria: on 85 or 90 and are planning to eat at one of the places that provides charging or you are staying overnight).

I went to Rough Ridge (on the parkway) and back without needing to charge, but you can stop by either Canyons (3 ev chargers of which 2 are Tesla) or the Japanese steak house in Boone (I believe only one Tesla charger) and after lunch/dinner of charging you are more then good.

I did not use any miles from Blowing Rock to Lenoir (which is 20 miles of regen to mild coasting). Then again, I don't have a problem taking my car to <=10 rated miles on a trip :)

• Like x 1
  10. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

That's a great route. I take the grey route to Wytheville and eat Chinese food there.

Hickory would be great because I could hit it on the way up and back and not worry about charging at all while in Banner Elk. Statesville will work for a "day trip" to Appalachian for a quick ski day, as I could just hit that on the way home if I needed a little bump, though it adds a few miles.

I don't like to plan to ever go below 10% (approx 25 miles, but I use percents) remaining, though I have done it.

• Like x 1
  11. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

It's not as bad as I thought. Statesville adds 9 miles and 15 minutes one way. Not a huge deal.

• Informative x 1
  12. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Super exciting.

13. 1101011

1101011 Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2012.

Gives more justification for SpCs further north on I-77; yes talking about you, Charleston and Beckley WV.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  14. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Yeah, Statesville is certainly not *needed* right now, but welcome anyway. I really want to see more northern I-77 coverage to be able to make a trip to Ohio.

• Like x 3
  15. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

If you make it up there, lunch is on me.

16. mspisars

mspisars Member

I was thinking about this comment... neither one of us lives near Huntersville, but I do know that traffic on I-77 is crazy during rush hour in both directiosn.
    That extra 15 minutes will be more like extra 40 minutes if you leave on Friday after 3 pm... :confused:

17. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

True, though going out I-85 towards Gastonia is no great deal either @ rush hour. I was thinking more in terms of a "wake up early Sunday and go to Appalachian Ski Mountain for the day" where I can get up there, but I may need to charge a bit to make it back to Charlotte, especially during the cold months.

18. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

I pass through Statesville on I-40 pretty often. When I have time one time I'm going through I'll scope out the area around the area around the address we have.

19. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Member

The section of I-177 from exit 23 to exit 36 is very unpredictable (and will stay that way until the new toll lanes are completed). Traveling in that area during rush hour on any day of the week is not advisable. (I live in Cornelius - exit 28.) Happy to see a charger in Statesville, but I was definitely hoping for Columbia, SC or Charleston, WV...

20. 1101011

1101011 Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2012.

Sure. Come on up.

Sorry we couldn't get together at your place when I was through NC this summer. But will be back...