Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Statesville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wish this was still a potential site. As a person that goes from Raleigh area via 40 to 77S fairly often this would be a perfect spot for me as well it seems like it would fill a needed void on the 77 corridor

There definitely should be a supercharger in Statesville to cover the 77/40 junction, but the previously proposed location was pretty bad. Way out of the way for I-40 travelers who would have to travel way out of the way south on I-77.

Somewhere NW of the 40/77 interchange around Hwy 21 where all of the gas stations, shopping, food, etc is would be best for both 40/77 IMO. From 77 you just hop on 40 and don't even need to exit your lane to immediately get off on 21, and from 40 just take the exit. Getting back to either highway is just as simple. Not out of the way for either one, really, since that's a regular stop for travelers on both highways anyway. Alternatively, 77-S drivers can just jump off at 21 directly a couple miles before the 40/77 interchange.

Seems like a no-brainer location for a Statesville supercharger to me, really. Glad the previous target location never happened.

Reactions: Drucifer
That looks like a great spot. Somewhere near that cracker barrel would be ideal. I'd go so far as to say "somewhere near that cracker barrel" would apply for finding most logical locations for a supercharger in the southeast. :)

Attachments

• 7740.png
    7740.png
    268.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Funny
Reactions: wk057
There are 2 sheets locations just off either highway. Would be the most likely locations

Neither Sheetz is a good fit for both highways, though. This is actually likely why there are two different Sheetz right there, too, to catch both 77 and 40 traffic.

The area around 21 north of I-40 is perfect for both 40 and 77. And yeah, the Cracker Barrel area would be perfect. Super easy to get to from either highway.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I'm being told Old Canal Street, East side. The Charlotte Supercharger is a good ways off 85 so not un-believable. He's not super familiar with Tesla, so could be destination charges, but would be an odd spot to be a row of destination chargers.

Old info, but to clarify, looks like this is a J1772 charger with the Blink network - The Junction at Antiquity
$0.04/min Blink Member, $0.06/min Guest. (Blink Network pricing - prices may vary by operator)
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

As for potential locations, I think Lake Norman visitor center (off Catawba Ave/I77) or Birkdale Village will be optimal - close to I-77 with LOTs of things to do there.

As for potential locations, I think Lake Norman visitor center (off Catawba Ave/I77) or Birkdale Village will be optimal - close to I-77 with LOTs of things to do there.

Both of those are relatively close to the Charlotte Supercharger though. Statesville would fill more of a gap and my guess would be on of the sheets.

Although I agree something on 77 would be nice. The Charlotte one is great for me or anyone off 85, but from 77 it has to be quite a pain. And frankly, it is starting to get pretty full a lot of times, usually 4 of 8 any given time.

But if you look at the map neither of these will probably be a priority anytime soon. I reckon they figure Hickory works, there isone going in Ballantyne. Good luck getting to that in traffic though.

Both of those are relatively close to the Charlotte Supercharger though. Statesville would fill more of a gap and my guess would be on of the sheets.

Although I agree something on 77 would be nice. The Charlotte one is great for me or anyone off 85, but from 77 it has to be quite a pain. And frankly, it is starting to get pretty full a lot of times, usually 4 of 8 any given time.

But if you look at the map neither of these will probably be a priority anytime soon. I reckon they figure Hickory works, there isone going in Ballantyne. Good luck getting to that in traffic though.

Agreed. The Mallard Creek one is almost always busy, with Teslas lining up and waiting in the evening.

I know it will be a lower priority to expand urban chargers, but not unheard of. The existing 2 supercharger areas in Charlotte seem to be more to server the urban population (similar to other big cities like Atlanta / Dallas / all of North East / California). I have to say (based on the Charlotte Tesla groups and my own observation - I may be wrong) that Lake Norman are does have the highest density of Teslas in the overall CLT area (with Ballantyne / Pineville at a close 2nd, followed with South Park, Plaza Midwood and Waxhaw / Indian Trail). A supercharger here will not only help the area with a high density of Teslas, but also serve I-77 quite well.

Statesville, though highly desired, doesn't have a big population of Teslas and will serve lesser owners vs any urban location - i.e. mostly those on a trip, who already have alternates not too far away at Mt. Airy & Hickory.

In an ideal world, we'll have at least 2 more urban chargers + one at Statesville. One can always dream. :)