Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Statesville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, Statesville is certainly not *needed* right now, but welcome anyway. I really want to see more northern I-77 coverage to be able to make a trip to Ohio.

Burlington to Asheville is almost 200 miles. I'd argue that it's needed for 75 / 70 / 60 owners for sure and it makes the trip MUCH better for those with 85/90/100.

Burlington to Asheville is almost 200 miles. I'd argue that it's needed for 75 / 70 / 60 owners for sure and it makes the trip MUCH better for those with 85/90/100.

The given location is too far out of the way for me to consider using for a Burlington->Asheville run in an 85 or >... easily 10+ minutes added travel time, plus charging time, so at best a 20 minute detour. Doubt it'd make much sense for 85+ folks going from Burlington to Asheville (~192 miles). Under an 85, probably useful.... but that's to be expected. You essentially shift from paying money for the bigger battery to paying in time/inconvenience on longer trips... which is potentially appealing for some, I suppose.

It's not as far out of the way as Wytheville is for 77<->81 travel, though... so, I may use it for that in the future since Lexinton, VA to Statesville is definitely doable. Unfortunately I currently need Wytheville to make it from Lexington, VA back home to Hickory.

When I travel to Charlotte from Roanoke, VA I usually avoid I-77 north of Charlotte as it is always congested near Lqke Norman. This SC provides a new option but not sure I will use it much. Better for folks traveling on I-40 even if a little out of the way.

The given location is too far out of the way for me to consider using for a Burlington->Asheville run in an 85 or >... easily 10+ minutes added travel time, plus charging time, so at best a 20 minute detour. Doubt it'd make much sense for 85+ folks going from Burlington to Asheville (~192 miles). Under an 85, probably useful.... but that's to be expected. You essentially shift from paying money for the bigger battery to paying in time/inconvenience on longer trips... which is potentially appealing for some, I suppose.

It's not as far out of the way as Wytheville is for 77<->81 travel, though... so, I may use it for that in the future since Lexinton, VA to Statesville is definitely doable. Unfortunately I currently need Wytheville to make it from Lexington, VA back home to Hickory.

For you coming from Hickory it probably doesn't make a lot of sense to use Statesville, but coming from the Raleigh area it makes a huge difference. Today with my 85, if I want to get to Asheville I need to make a short drive to Burlington and then sit around quite a while to get into the 230 - 240 mile range. In colder months, I have to range charge to be safe. With a supercharger in Statesville, I'd just range charge at home, stop for a short time in Statesville because the SoC will be much lower and I won't need to charge as much, and be on my way.

The real issue is that Burlington to Asheville today requires almost a range charge which is just painful to wait for.

This will certainly help for trips from Raleigh to Hickory in my 75D! I was going to route through Charlotte, but when it opens, it will be a straight shot on I-40. Any idea on when it will actually be available? What's the best resource for finding out new and upcoming superchargers; is it the teslarati map that I have found a couple of times?

I commute from Asheville to Winston-Salem, so this SC will be super helpful. Does anyone know the "normal" completion time from permit pull to open?

I am not sure if there is a normal time. Probably depends a lot on the local government. For reference, the Charlotte one was about 4 months from supercharge.info showing the permit to showing it was open. Some go quicker and some take waaaayyyyy longer.

Early spring seems like a good guess, but I am completely guessing with no real info. Others might be able to give a more solid answer.

Reactions: Drucifer
I commute from Asheville to Winston-Salem, so this SC will be super helpful. Does anyone know the "normal" completion time from permit pull to open?

It's *extremely* variable... sometimes the permit happens and construction begins within a couple of weeks, and sometimes something stays in "permit" state for months. Unless you can get someone with actual knowledge of the process it's pretty much a guess. ;-(

Went by the location today - there is a nice set of 8 or so parking spots on the edge of the Marriott Courtyard parking lot, so I'm guessing that will be the spot. There are a bunch of restaurants within easy walking distance - Outback, Village Inn Pizza, Subway and a couple others.
IMG_2953.JPG
IMG_2954.JPG

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Went by the location today - there is a nice set of 8 or so parking spots on the edge of the Marriott Courtyard parking lot, so I'm guessing that will be the spot. There are a bunch of restaurants within easy walking distance - Outback, Village Inn Pizza, Subway and a couple others.View attachment 201193 View attachment 201194
Can you please take these same pictures from the same angles once the stalls are up? Kinda like an artistic before and after?