Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Station Amenities...What Do You Suggest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the proposed build out of new "Supercharger Stations" and with the typical Tesla owner hanging out for 30-60 minutes at a supercharger, what type of amenities would you like to see and how would you like to spend that 30-60 minutes(bearing in mind, on a long trip this could occur every 2-3 hrs)?

Restrooms, vending machines, trash cans, bug cleaning wipes. While some superchargers have amenities around them. quite a few do not. I especially like the ones where the local business offers Tesla owners a free cup of coffee etc.

All good suggestions.

Not to sound off the wall but what do you think about a small restaurant with decent quick(no fast food chain or gas station food) menu choices(think Starbucks but with a more varied healthier menu)?

Remember, the amenities at the Supercharger Stations and will cater to EV drivers(if I understand properly there will be Clipper Creek chargers for non Tesla EVs as well).

All good suggestions.

Not to sound off the wall but what do you think about a small restaurant with decent quick(no fast food chain or gas station food) menu choices(think Starbucks but with a more varied healthier menu)?

Remember, the amenities at the Supercharger Stations and will cater to EV drivers(if I understand properly there will be Clipper Creek chargers for non Tesla EVs as well).

Private enterprise, not Tesla IMO

If you build it they will come!

Last edited:
All good suggestions.

Please, anything but Starbucks. I would prefer something that is made fresh at the store and is reasonably priced. If they only offer pre-made items, I'd likely walk to a nearby restaurant and get something better.

Trash can, so far only one I've encountered ones at Slidel and Baton Rouge.
That surprises me. I can't think of a Supercharger Station I've visited that didn't have a trash can nearby. That is always the case for the ones located at hotels, shopping malls, and near fast food places.
WiFi at the car.
One of my favorite Supercharger stops is Salt Lake City because it is at a Tesla store with a visitor's lounge that has AC, WiFi, cold water, and a really nice restroom. Never really thought about WiFi in the car though, since I'd rather get up and move around anyway.
24 hour bathrooms
To me, this seems like the most important amenity for any Supercharger Station.
Vegetarian food choices
One of my favorite amenities is a grocery store within easy walking distance, since I don't use restaurants — fast food or otherwise — when on road trips. Three that I've found are Moab UT (City Market [Kroger], about ten minutes walk), Farmington NM (an Albertsons right next to the hotel where the Supercharger Station is located), and Boise ID (a super Walmart about five minutes walk).

Aside from the other things already listed - my suggestion: a bucket and squeegee to clean the windshield.

The Centralia WA SC has a couple of them, no idea who fills them (PNW rain, perhaps?) but much appreciated the few times I've been through there. Other places I've found a nearby fossil fuel station to use theirs, but always feels odd rolling an EV up to the pumps

Reactions: jerjozwik
Trash can, so far only one I've encountered ones at Slidel and Baton Rouge.
WiFi at the car.
24 hour bathrooms
Vegetarian food choices
+1 on the 24 hr restrooms.

I don't think fast food aligns well with the current or future Tesla crowd. Food trucks, sushi bars and BBQ pits seem more likely to succeed. Microbreweries would probably do well if AP2 were a little further along.

Aside from the other things already listed - my suggestion: a bucket and squeegee to clean the windshield.

The Centralia WA SC has a couple of them, no idea who fills them (PNW rain, perhaps?) but much appreciated the few times I've been through there. Other places I've found a nearby fossil fuel station to use theirs, but always feels odd rolling an EV up to the pumps
I also found a need to clean a buggy windshield on my first road trips but wasn't willing to go to a gas station. Ever since I carry a bucket and squeegee in my trunk. I also usually have a gallon of water, since I do a lot of driving in the desert, but I can usually find a place, such as a restroom, to put some water in my bucket. Sure helps to be able to clean my windshield while Supercharging. I also carry waterless wash and microfiber cloths for cleaning the bugs off the front of the car when I get a chance.

Pinch me, I must me dreaming :D
Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 12.25.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 12.25.04 PM.png
19748404_1709495122397246_6374052146657769780_n.jpg

19884191_1709495125730579_8311760790474770662_n.jpg
19732359_1709495129063912_3091963461949777430_n.jpg

Got home Tuesday evening (7/4/17) from an almost 7,000, 16 day cross country trip. San Diego to IN/OH, then down to GA/FL, then home. Jax FL west on I-10 to Baton Rouge LA, then NW up through Shreveport LA to I-20 to Dalles TX, north to OK City to I-40 west to Flagstaff AZ, then south to Phoenix AZ, further south to Gila Bend AZ and I-8 west to San Diego. Lots of Supercharger stops driving through the night. Next trip (mid-August to Rock Springs WY) I will bring one of those hospital urine bottles. Twice I had to use the bushes. My wife waited until we were charged so I could find an open gas station for her. Once, in Macon GA Supercharger, we walked around and around at about 5am Sunday morning looking for something open. We finally found a local resident who was working early and he pointed us down a street with an open gas station about 1/2 mile away. I was not sure I could make it but we did. That turned out to be a long stop with lots of charge, more than we needed to get to the next Supercharger at Tifton GA.

The point being: Food and Drink we can take with us on a trip, a toilet we can not. We did not see a single trash can at any Supercharger stop. At local businesses, yes, but not at the supercharger. Again, we can carry our own trash elsewhere, not a toilet.

Just saying....

+1 on the 24 hr restrooms.

I don't think fast food aligns well with the current or future Tesla crowd. Food trucks, sushi bars and BBQ pits seem more likely to succeed. Microbreweries would probably do well if AP2 were a little further along.

I agree on the "fast food" and considering we(Tesla owners) are at superchargers for about 40 minutes it doesn't necessarily need to be that fast. Micro brew probably not going to happen due to laws and stuff. How do you feel about making the SC stations sort of themed/experience based. The ICE crowd sees stopping to charge for 40 minutes as a barrier to EV ownership...what if the SC stations were cool, short stop destinations where you'd want to stop, eat(yeah, use the restrooms, clean windshield etc.) and more...maybe kid area, place for Tesla owners to chat etc. Any other ideas?

Reactions: EVie'sDad