Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Station Amenities...What Do You Suggest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stations are expensive to install. Tesla tries their best to have nearby amenities, but a willing site host in a good location trumps amenities. Some sites have better amenities than others. Asking for more than that is not in the plan (more sites are the focus).

Aside from the other things already listed - my suggestion: a bucket and squeegee to clean the windshield.Other places I've found a nearby fossil fuel station to use theirs, but always feels odd rolling an EV up to the pumps

doing this always feels odd...
19429448_1905644729708098_1093402655272730624_n.jpg

i was waiting for the attendant to come out and yell at me for steeling their wash water. luckily the pump i chose was out of service. made me fell less weird about it at least.

• Informative
Reactions: Aieukl378
The stations are expensive to install. Tesla tries their best to have nearby amenities, but a willing site host in a good location trumps amenities. Some sites have better amenities than others. Asking for more than that is not in the plan (more sites are the focus).

I'm thinking more along the lines of an outside company paring up with Tesla to offer amenities at the SC sites(I'm sure Tesla doesn't want to enter the "hospitality business",food service etc.) I just think making the SC experience cool would really add to the overall experience of Tesla awesomeness and am looking for ideas.

Bathrooms, water, shaded, place to clean windows, and tire pumps at a minimum. Also within walking distance of a place to grab a bite.
The vision is on site food, amenities etc. for Tesla owners at the SC. I know we're pretty used to plugging in then trudging down the road, across the highway etc. to get a bite to eat or whatever but I really think this could be improved on greatly at many current SCs.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
I'm thinking more along the lines of an outside company paring up with Tesla to offer amenities at the SC sites(I'm sure Tesla doesn't want to enter the "hospitality business",food service etc.) I just think making the SC experience cool would really add to the overall experience of Tesla awesomeness and am looking for ideas.

This could be a splendid idea in a world where there everyone drive electric and there is a constant turnover of customers.

Here in the west, there are so many SC locations in small, poor rural communities--Lovelock, Quartzsite, Needles, Winnemucca, Lusk, Lone Pine, Inyokern--the list goes on and on. These towns do not even have moderately nice places to eat for the locals. Usage of these Superchargers is scant.

Even when the Model 3 is released in vast numbers, there still will not be much demand at these locations. Furthermore, as Tesla starts infilling these routes to increase density and charging opportunities, we drivers will make conscientious efforts to skip these less-than-desirable spots if possible.

One of my favorite Supercharger stops is Salt Lake City because it is at a Tesla store with a visitor's lounge that has AC, WiFi, cold water, and a really nice restroom.

I was just visiting SLC last week and used the SC there a few times. It was only giving me (and everyone else) 50kW, probably because of the heat. Some of the staff were pretty friendly, but it was obvious that others grew tired of owners constantly waltzing up and shooting the breeze or complaining about the charge rate. They're sales at that location, so the only thing they can do is warn about a specific station that might be on the blink, because 10 Teslas that day have already tried it and it didn't work. Other than that, it's a great waiting room with free cold water on these hot summer days.

I have nothing against amenities, but to really do it right and make it high quality, they'd have to charge something for the service. That's where I think it would fall apart. I don't think drivers in general would want to pay a few bucks for those amenities...

But, maybe there's someone out there willing to give it a try.....

I remember something about Sheetz and Tesla in talks, I don't know what happened with that. With us Model 3 drivers coming online over the next few years (and paying for supercharging), I think that partnering with a C-store would be a great move.

I had a Supercharger station open near me this year. I have been to the Centralia, WA Supercharger where someone keeps a squeegee out for people to use. Also been to the Kettleman City, CA where Tesla maintains a bucket and a commercial tire pump. Fancy.

I was thinking about putting a windshield washer station out for my SuC as I am here all the time so it's almost no skin off my nose to check the soap level. I wonder if I could start a program thru Tesla to pay for my supplies. Encourage others to do the same for their SuChargers. Actually, I am more worried Tesla will come and take my setup away as it's not official.

-Randy

I had a Supercharger station open near me this year. I have been to the Centralia, WA Supercharger where someone keeps a squeegee out for people to use. Also been to the Kettleman City, CA where Tesla maintains a bucket and a commercial tire pump. Fancy.

I was thinking about putting a windshield washer station out for my SuC as I am here all the time so it's almost no skin off my nose to check the soap level. I wonder if I could start a program thru Tesla to pay for my supplies. Encourage others to do the same for their SuChargers. Actually, I am more worried Tesla will come and take my setup away as it's not official.

-Randy
I just keep my own squeegee in my car. The squeegee has a built-in sprayer and holds about 8 ounces of windshield cleaning solution. I've used it on many road trips and often clean the windshield and remove bugs with a bug sponge while Supercharging.

We also have 12V tire pumps in each Tesla so we're always prepared, no matter where we are.

^ I carry a squeegee, bucket and water (although water is usually available in restrooms at Supercharger stops, it is a safety item for driving in the desert). Also carry a 12 V pump and plug kit and various other tools, such as a tire pressure gauge.

The squeegee and bucket get used a lot during bug season on road trips! Although I thought the Centralia squeegee was a nice touch when I came across it, it is helpful to be prepared for everywhere else. I also carry waterless wash and a microfiber cloth for taking bugs off the front of the car at Supercharger stops if I am so inclined — I've noticed others doing the same over the years.