TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger Station Being Constructed in Florida City, FL

Discussion in 'Florida' started by ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Apr 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Supercharge.info added a construction marker. at 33505 S Dixie Hwy, Florida City, FL

Interstates: none
    US Numbered Highways (<= 5 miles): US-1
    It's also close to the southern end of the Ronald Reagan Turnpike (SR-821)

US-1:
    To: Riviera Beach, FL
    Diversion: 1.6 miles
    To: Port Orange, FL - 287 miles

To: Plantation, FL (FL-RRT, FL-FT, I-595, FL-817) - 59.6 miles
    To: Naples, FL (FL-RRT, I-75, Local) - 145 miles
    To: Fort Myers, FL (FL-RRT, I-75) - 163 miles

Seems to me to be a location that's good for the southern Everglades, and relieves potential pressures on Marathon, FL, Plantation, FL and Fort Myers, FL Superchargers. Allows people in 75s+ to get on and stay on the turnpike: it's 186 miles to the Fort Drum Service Plaza Supercharger.

2. HabitualUser

HabitualUser Member

Agreed, its a good location. Though I would like to see one in Miami.

3. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Thanks for creating this thread. Hopefully someone can post pictures.
    Anyone know what the source was for the supercharge.info addition?

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

I think that someone posted a pic on a Facebook forum..

5. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

#5 Racerx22b, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    I know everyone wants one "in" Miami but the problem is that locals will just end up tying it up. Especially on weekends when travelers will need it the most. Just look at Plantation. Its full of locals getting a free charge while they dine, exercise, or grocery shop. Finding a place in Miami that is convenient for travelers but not convenient for locals would be hard.

Also, I easily made it in my MS 85 from the Palm Beach charger (actually my house but it's the same distance) to Marathon without any anxiety and drove it like I stole it in both directions. For those going West, it's only ~125 miles from Florida City to Naples. The purpose of the Superchargers is to facilitate travel. If you're going North or West you're covered with a charger in Florida City.

If locals want free charging options I would suggest doing some leg work and lobbying businesses you frequent to get on board with the destination charging program. Larry (moderator) has some good contacts and has been willing to offer any help to those interested. Just feed him the business and contact info. I've successfully had 3 chargers installed just by discussing EV charging with hotel operators.

• Like x 4
  6. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I largely agree, but I do think the Dolphin Mall could be very convenient for visitors, less so for Miami area owners, who are concentrated in South Miami and North Miami and the beaches. There are plenty of charging options for locals, free L2, some CHAdeMO and tons of free chargers on PlugShare. None are both convenient and fast for the Miami area tourists, as previously discussed. For that a Supercharger in the area is important. The advent of payment for Superchargers means that the local hogs are time-limited. Sad that we have a California problem at Plantation, but that is really only Saturday, from what I hear, and penalty charges can discourage that activity.

7. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts

Like Jim I am wondering where Supercharge.info got their information. The overall location in Florida City is strategic and could correspond to one of the two "Coming in 2017" dots near the Miami area on the Tesla map. Florida City is not really in Miami and is less less prone to locals tying it up. However, the address is to a Sonny's BBQ that has about 50 or so parking spots in which according to Supercharge.info they would be tying up 8 of them, or more than 10%. So I wonder if this is accurate and if so whether it would get ICEd. I have not found an active permit at that address yet.

I agree, that we should always pursue Tesla Destination Charging Program locations, but it doesn't have to be Superchargers or Destination Chargers, it should be both. As Racer suggests, if you have a warm lead on locations and the contact information of a decision-maker who is interested in learning about the program and installing HPWCs, I would be happy to pass the information on to the appropriate project managers at Tesla. Racer, thanks for your activity in this important area.

Larry

8. jrreno

Larry can't find a permit and supercharge.info indicates construction underway. Someone near the area should be able to get a picture that would settle it.

9. TSLATed

TSLATed Member

The Sonny’s BBQ in Greenacres, FL has two Tesla HPWC’s and that restaurants is about 96 miles away from the Sonny’s BBQ in question. Obviously it's not a supercharger in Greenacres, FL, but at least there’s a Sonny’s BBQ / Tesla relationship somewhat nearby...

10. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

That place is <10mins from my house. I've tried to get my wife to go with me but she hates anything smoky so it's a no go.

11. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

There is a person on the Tesla Florida Facebook group by the name of Paul White that is posting daily photos of the construction. Yesterday's photo had a picture of the supercharger hardware from Tesla. Suggest those who are interested head over there. Log into Facebook | Facebook

• Informative x 2
  12. jrreno

Thank you!

13. GoCanes

GoCanes Member

I agree this Florida City location is perfect for trips down to the Keys - and it avoids most of the commuter traffic to and from Miami. While there are no superchargers in Miami-Dade, those of us who live in Miami know many hotels with HPWCs at guests' disposal. We often stop in for dinner and ask for a charge and I'll be fully charged before dessert comes!

14. jrreno

IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0039.JPG
    From the Florida Tesla group on FB, Florida City progress

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. AntronX

AntronX Member

For anyone wondering, here is exact parking lot from the pictures above on street view: Google Maps

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. Larry Chanin

Hi Evan,

Thanks. I've communicated with Paul and confirmed that the location is the Sonny's BBQ in Florida City. Paul is part of a restaurant management team that owns that franchise and contacted Tesla suggesting that location for a Supercharger Station.

Larry

• Informative x 2
  17. Larry Chanin

Paul White provided the following photos of the Supercharger progress at Sonny's BBQ in Florida City: As of April 13, 2017.

Florida City Supercharger.jpg

Florida City Supercharger 2.jpg Florida City Supercharger 3.jpg

Florida City Supercharger 4.jpg

Larry

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  18. Slappy32

Slappy32 Member

Hi everyone, Paul here. I didn't realize there was a thread on here for this Supercharger. As mentioned above, there are two HPWC at the Sonny's in Greenacres, FL as well. The company I work for owns the Sonny's BBQ in Greenacres and Florida City. We also have Sundowners in Key Largo and Marker 88 in Islamorada, both of which have destination chargers as well. Being a Model X owner, I saw the need for a Supercharger halfway between Plantation and Marathon, so I contacted Tesla and the rest is history. I actually got the idea off of a Supercharger thread on this forum. Also, two of the Sonny's partners are Tesla owners as well and were very enthusiastic about hosting a Supercharger.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. Slappy32

Slappy32 Member

#19 Slappy32, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Here are all the photos I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  20. jrreno

Thanks for posting the pictures! Makes a nice visual history. Looks like it only needs a transformer and the high voltage lead from the pole. What electric company?