Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Naples, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stumbled upon these plans submitted May 3rd for an 8-unit supercharger in a parking garage at 499 Bayfront Place in Naples FL.
Thanks very much for the heads up.

Here's the Google street view of the possible location.

Naples Supercharger location.jpg

It's an interesting location inside a parking garage.

Technically we can't call it a "confirmed" Supercharger location yet, but it is obvious that Tesla is serious about pursuing this location.

It is interesting to note that Tesla's career page currently has a position for a Service Manager in Naples.

Larry

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: benjiejr
I researched the public records for this proposed Supercharger Station in Naples. I have confirmed that Tesla has petitioned for an Application of Zoning Variance to place mechanical equipment inside the normal setbacks at the proposed parking garage location. The city's Planning Advisory Board conducted a public hearing on June 8th and made a recommendation to approve the variance. The City Council should consider the PAB’s recommendation at its meeting on Wednesday, August 17, 2016, with final action by resolution.

Larry

The Teslarati mobile app is confirming supercharger permit for this location :)

on a side note... my dentist lives in a condo in this development and told me that "the Association shut it down, long story, but will never happen". I hope this is just rumor and hearsay, just sharing what I was just told by a friend who lives there...

Last edited:

on a side note... my dentist lives in a condo in this development and told me that "the Association shut it down, long story, but will never happen". I hope this is just rumor and hearsay, just sharing what I was just told by a friend who lives there...

Why would they do that? Aren't there a lot of businesses in that development that would likely be in favor of it?

Hi Bill,

Technically there can be no permits until this application for a variance is granted.

I believe that the Teslarati folks are linking to the Supercharger.info map. The authors of that map are probably just reacting to this thread in anticipation of granting a waiver and eventually the filing of a building permit by Tesla's contractor. The authors of the map routinely mark something as "in Permits" if they read a report similar to this. If they knew of an actual permit they probably would have posted that in their details.

Here is an excerpt from the Planning Advisory Board's staff report:

PUBLIC NOTIFICATION: On May 19, 2016 a total of 246 letters were mailed to all property owners located within 500 feet of the subject property. As of the date of this report, staff has received one e-mail of objection to the requested variance from a resident of Bayfront, and that e-mail is included with the backup material.

Larry--
Naples resident here.

Have you identified who we need to lobby to make this happen?

Btw: Naples Sc would make me very happy.
Hi Charles,

On August 17 the City Council, in a public meeting, will vote on the following resolution prepared by the Planning Advisory Board.
RESOLUTION 16-

Here are the procedures for speaking at public meetings.

My recommendation would be that only residents of Naples or business owners in Naples speak at these meetings.

Naples residents or individuals doing business in Naples may also wish to email the City Council and Mayor. Their email addresses are listed here.

Larry

I would have to think this is in conjunction with a store/gallery and service center. I'm sure Naples has enough owners/potential owners to justify one if Sarasota has one.

From what I heard today, there is an active search for a SC and perhaps something targeted by year end. Doesn’t appear that downtown would be the location due to land issues (need bigger area).

It appears that Tesla recognizes that SW Florida year round install base (not to mention snow birds) has reached the proper scale to make the investment.

The City Manager has provided us with the following status information from the City of Naples Planning Department:

Tesla Motors, Inc., submitted a variance application on May 3, 2016 (Petition 16-V7). The variance was to allow mechanical equipment to be located in a required yard (that area east of the parking garage and west of Mariner’s Cove). Property owners were notified and the petition was scheduled on the June 8, 2016 PAB agenda. Just prior to the hearing, the petitioner requested a continuance to the next PAB meeting which would have been August 10, 2016.

On June 21, 2016, via e-mail, Tesla Motors officially withdrew their variance petition.

The charging stations were redesigned to be located within the parking garage, itself, and a variance was no longer needed. Building permit #161757 is currently in the building review process.

Larry

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
OMG my dream is coming true! I think. What does "withdrew petition for variance" mean exactly?

Tesla's original plans called for building within a building setback. To proceed would have required getting the City Council to approve the petition for variance. By moving the construction outside of the building setback area the need for the variance was eliminated and therefore was withdrawn.

Larry

Last edited:
does this mean that they will go forward with the supercharger in this location?
Public records show that they are at the beginning stages of the permit process and that they have been paying fees, but no inspections have started.

Here is the location from the Tesla plans.

Naples Supercharger Vicinity.jpg

Here is a Google map of this location in relation to major highways. The below map also shows the location of the proposed store at Waterside Shops.

Naples Store to Naples Superchargers.jpg

Larry

Last edited:
I would have to think this is in conjunction with a store/gallery and service center. I'm sure Naples has enough owners/potential owners to justify one if Sarasota has one.

From what I heard today, there is an active search for a SC and perhaps something targeted by year end. Doesn’t appear that downtown would be the location due to land issues (need bigger area).

It appears that Tesla recognizes that SW Florida year round install base (not to mention snow birds) has reached the proper scale to make the investment.
There is no question that the Naples area is an important market warranting a Store and Service Center. It is also strategically located at the end of Alligator Alley and therefore warrants a Supercharger Station.

At first I thought that there might be a chance that this could be a similar to the Palm Beach Service Center/Store/Supercharger situation where all facilities are collocated. However, now we know that Tesla is pursuing a Store 5 miles away from this possible Supercharger location.

Neither location is suitable for a Service Center. However, it would make sense to locate the Service Center not too far from these two locations.

Larry

Last edited:
@Larry Chanin:

you beat me to it.. I was surprised when that PDF u posted was like the 6th item on a google search I did yesterday on 499 Bayfront Place (and I didn't even use "Tesla" in my search...)

I spend about 2 weeks a year in Naples (close to Marco Island -- "south Naples," if you will.) and last year when I did this I was charging at the Ft Myers SuperCharger. this will be a big help to me if I end up going back to Naples in the next few months with my Model S in tow. (That's a big if, as I usually fly down and rent a car when I'm in Naples)

it will be nice to not have to drive 45 minutes each way to get electrons. There is a destination charger at a place called GEM remotes which is only 5 minutes from my condo, but their HPWC is right next to a loading dock so the one time I used it, I had to wake up at 6 am to make sure I had picked up the car b4 everyone showed up for work at 7 am as I did not want my charging needs to be a burden on them.

needless to say waking up at 6 am was less than ideal while I was on vacation and it was easier to just drive up to Ft Myers SC to charge up. i'm hopeful more destination chargers / level 2 EVSEs pop up in the area (although i am SHOCKED that none have so far in the past 3 years that I've been monitoring the situation) and if I do end up spending more than 2 weeks a year at the condo I will be more insistent that I get some home charging solution put in place, but so far my HOA has not been very open to talking about this --a nd with me spending so little time there currently, I find it not really worth the fight.

i'm hopeful more destination chargers / level 2 EVSEs pop up in the area (although i am SHOCKED that none have so far in the past 3 years that I've been monitoring the situation) and if I do end up spending more than 2 weeks a year at the condo I will be more insistent that I get some home charging solution put in place, but so far my HOA has not been very open to talking about this --a nd with me spending so little time there currently, I find it not really worth the fight.

There are a number of destinations chargers in the Naples area. Further south in addition to the GEM location there is the Marco Island Marriott Resort, Golf Club, & Spa. For future reference you might wish to check with the Marriott, it's quite possible that they may let you charge there if you dine at one of their restaurants.

Larry

Agreed...Naples needs more availability and the downtown location is great for visitors (albeit a bit of a walk to 5th restaurants) and locals shopping. Also, a little out of way for folks coming off I75 though.

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Alternative Fueling Station Locator
Per US, these are only Electric stations near Naples zip 34110

DoubleTree by Hilton - Tesla
12200 Tamiami Trail N
Naples, FL 34110 Level 2
GERMAIN BMW
11286 Tamiami Trail N
Naples, FL 34110s: Level 2
The Ritz-Carlton - Golf Resort - Tesla
2600 Tiburon Dr
Naples, FL 34109: Level 2
The Ritz-Carlton - Tesla