TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger station under construction near Albany, NY

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Voltan, Apr 12, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Voltan

Voltan Member

Five Tesla superchargers and cabling for six are sitting on a construction site awaiting installation on Wolf Road in Colonie, NY, just off Exit 24 of the New York State Thruway. So, in a couple of months, I anticipate some of you folks will be coming up for a visit. Looking forward to seeing you. Plenty of places to eat and drink, but my personal favorite is the Cheesecake Factory, a few hundred feet from the charging station. A Whole Foods supermarket is planned in close proximity to the superchargers.

2. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

That is great to hear, I hope they bang that one out and move on to Syracuse, Ithaca and Buffalo in short order. I would really like to be able to reach Upstate NY this summer!

3. blownb310

blownb310 Member

Wow this is great news. I had not heard anything about it before today. No, I don't have a Tesla, but I love to see them on the road and having this nearby will increase my chances of doing so.

4. macpacheco

macpacheco Member

The following site has been added to Tesla North America Supercharger list:
    Albany, NY
    I-87 exit 2E
    Colonie Center
    Is this the one ?

5. blownb310

blownb310 Member

Yes indeed. :)

6. mroths24

mroths24 New Member

Apologize if this is the wrong place to ask. Brand new owner. With no supercharger between Toronto and Albany (400 miles), what is the best way to charge along the way? Is it just to find a station with a slow charge? thanks.

7. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

You should post that question in the Canada forum. Someone from Toronto who has made that trip will respond. It's a question of choosing the fastest of the slow charging stations.

8. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Plugshare.com is your one source for charging. If you use it from the center screen in the Tesla it is configured to give the best Tesla results.

9. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Until Tesla adds a Supercharger in Buffalo and Syracuse (both of which are in the plans), you're stuck using Level 2 chargers. As @mroths24 notes, Plugshare is your friend. I see a Model S owner in Rochester with a NEMA 14-50, which is almost surely the fastest option you have available currently.

Superchargers make such a huge difference in the ability to road-trip. I've driven from Boston to DC without a worry; just a couple of needed breaks. Driving the same distance to Buffalo would (at least before the Colonie SC opened) have taken a couple of days.

10. macpacheco

macpacheco Member

#10 macpacheco, May 9, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    Keep an eye to the Kingston area supercharger (already in the coming soon list, estimating locations from where the red dot is on the coming soon map).
    Once its up and running, perhaps Albany (228 miles via I-90E) Kingston (164 miles) Toronto. Plus a Toronto, Ottawa superchargers is also on the coming soon list.
    Syracuse and Buffalo are planned for 2014 but not yet in the coming soon list.

11. Voltan

Voltan Member

Yes. Installation is now complete.

12. Voltan

Voltan Member

First sighting at Albany supercharger on May 10. Wonder where they charged up between here and Quebec. Second sighting of California car on May 12.