Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

supercharger stations are still up - even w/ everyone hunkering down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need to make a treck half-way across the US. Elderly MIL is in the mid-west and there's no one else around to help her. We're heading out from CA tomorrow AM and will be driving the X to get there. (we have a place near her, so we're fine as far as where to stay once we're there).

It'll be a non-stop ~45 hour epic journey, hopping SC to SC. at least the roads are empty, so we'll make good time.

We're counting on having SC's available along the way. Is there a way to validate that they're up before we get to one?

Any pointers to tips for ensuring maximum charging rate? Our previous experience has been less than awesome...most of the time, even when the place is empty, we haven't gotten the top charging rates.

why would they go down though? it doesnt take anyone to run them. in general speaking, they are all automated unless something breaks.

arrive at each supercharger lowest that youre comfortable with to maximize charge speed and switch stalls if you feel one is "too slow" as some are a bit faulty.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
We need to make a treck half-way across the US. Elderly MIL is in the mid-west and there's no one else around to help her. We're heading out from CA tomorrow AM and will be driving the X to get there. (we have a place near her, so we're fine as far as where to stay once we're there).

It'll be a non-stop ~45 hour epic journey, hopping SC to SC. at least the roads are empty, so we'll make good time.

We're counting on having SC's available along the way. Is there a way to validate that they're up before we get to one?

Any pointers to tips for ensuring maximum charging rate? Our previous experience has been less than awesome...most of the time, even when the place is empty, we haven't gotten the top charging rates.

The map in the car shows the status and qty of stalls in use/available. If a site is down completely, it will not be available to navigation and be grayed out on the map.

I think OP has a valid concern and someone pointed out, one in a closed Mall garage is not open. We don’t know how often SC need maintenance. I’ve been at a 3 month old SC and was surprised how beaten up some charge plugs are. Not sure if maintenance is shutdown, partial shutdown by state or what. Probably not a problem yet but it could be in a month or two depending on how long this goes.

The Nav has not always been 100% reliable on status. I would allow for extra buffer in case one is shutdown.

I didn't read all the responses, but I want to let you know my supplier called and said his truck is outside of CA boarder. Leaving and entering CA is forbidden as the boarders are now closed.

You should check and verify because I'm not leaving CA and no rush on my supplies for work so I I didn't look into this.

• Disagree
Reactions: K3Man
I am on the first day of a multiple day trip from Washington to California to take care of family. All the superchargers today were open, put out a high rate of Kw and were lightly used. Restaurants are closed, but drive thru windows are open. Supermarkets are open for food also and are a good place to get access to soap and water. It was easy to find a hotel, there are 3 cars in the parking lot tonight.

The border is not closed, just the usual do you have any plants or fruits check.

Per the Govener's orders. Urgent care for a family member is a legit reason to be traveling. I'd rather sitting on the couch, but that's not meant to be right now.

Be safe on your trip.

Last edited:
I am on the first day of a multiple day trip from Washington to California to take care of family. All the superchargers today were open, put out a high rate of Kw and were lightly used. Restaurants are closed, but drive thru windows are open. Supermarkets are open for food also and are a good place to get access to soap and water. It was easy to find a hotel, there are 3 cars in the parking lot tonight.

The border is not closed, just the usual do you have any plants or fruits check.

Per the Govener's orders. Urgent care for a family member is a legit reason to be traveling. I'd rather sitting on the couch, but that's not meant to be right now.

Be safe on your trip.

I imaging highway traffic is pretty light.

Usually by 5 AM the highways in the SF Bay Area are red on Google Maps. Today, not a spec of red even at peak time of 7:30. It has been this way for the last 3 weeks since the Shelter-in-Place rules.

Yeah, the California state borders as of 23 March, 2020 are NOT closed. We got my MIL to Oregon over the weekend, no problems.

Kettleman City SpC lounge was even fully open, including a barista working along with a cleaning staff working hard to wipe and clean everything. (Kudos to those very hard working employees!).

Reactions: jboy210
Valid concern is that as the Virus spreads, governments will begin restricting travel from known hot spots into their territories. You may be able to get out, but not back in.

People might be restricted from travel unless they can provide a recent negative test. Only people proving essential travel will be eligible for testing certificates.

Two trains of thought on efficient travel. One is to run on the bottom part of your charge, as charging miles are added quicker. The safer alternative is to charge to a higher state, which takes longer, but gives you a larger buffer.

I didn't read all the responses, but I want to let you know my supplier called and said his truck is outside of CA boarder. Leaving and entering CA is forbidden as the boarders are now closed.

You should check and verify because I'm not leaving CA and no rush on my supplies for work so I I didn't look into this.

Is your supplier in Mexico? That border is closed to non-essential travel, but there is an exemption for trade goods transported by truck.

See, https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2020-06253.pdf

Reactions: jboy210