Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger stations full?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 350 supercharge sessions and had to wait 4x:
1) Qualcomm 2017 when it was the only one in San Diego County
2) Atascadero 2017 immediately after the last TMC event in Monterey
3&4) St. George on Sundays in March and September 2020

I see another poster has highlighted St. George as problem charger. I can skip St. George if I'm fully charged leaving Las Vegas northbound or 90% charged leaving Beaver southbound. There a new St. George charger closer to I-15 but it's was 75kW in March and still listed that way on supercharge.info. Good news Tesla's website says it's now 250kW. Hamilton Fort south of Cedar City was 50kW in March and on supercharge.info but is now listed as 150kW by Tesla. Both of these new ones are only 4 stalls though.

I'd say Tesla is doing a reasonable job in upgrading problem areas, though in the case of both San Diego and St. George perhaps not as soon as some of us would have liked.

I've noticed driving locally on weekends that several SoCal superchargers are marked in gray as being full. This has to be mostly local use.

I had to wait yesterday morning (Saturday of Easter weekend) at the Cabazon California supercharger on I-10 between LA and Phoenix. There were only two cars in front of me; the wait was so short it wasn't worth noting how long it took. The car that joined the line behind me might not have come to a full stop as multiple cars were when I was at the front.

The adjacent McDonalds had a long drive-through line, and the several stores at the giant outlet mall had long lines of people waiting to enter. It was one of those days when everything was busy. The number of changing spots seemed well matched to the demand.

I've made the same trip before in a gas car, stopping for fuel in Quartzsite. All of the gas stations had long lines. The line I joined, and was stuck in, led to pumps where another line formed in the opposite direction. It was over 30 minutes before I could refuel and escape through the near-gridlock.

Just returned from a trip to Yosemite from Orange County and visited Tejon Ranch, Fresno, Fish Camp, and Traver. All had available connectors except on the return trip when I ran into a 10 car line at the Tejon Ranch Supercharger. The turnover was decent and we waited maybe 15 minutes, people were being very considerate of the cars in line and seemed to charge only what they needed.

I hit Baker and Primm on Saturday evening, Yermo and Hesperia on Sunday, while they were busy, and Yermo had a couple out of order, I didn't have to wait, thought I don't know if later it would have been super busy. I should have just hit Baker ( put that on the list to hit on a holiday or if I know it's gonna be real busy). I usually don't leave that late on a Sunday on the Vegas to LA route, but it was a necessity yesterday.