TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger stations in North Carolina

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by ChrisC, Sep 20, 2013.

1. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

I heard of work happening on a supercharger site in North Carolina, and there wasn't a thread here to track these, so I'm creating this one.

According to Tesla's SC plan at Supercharger | Tesla Motors , by the end of "Fall 2013" there will be 5-7 supercharger stations in NC, generally along the I-85 and I-95 corridors.

Yesterday I heard (via the Atlanta Tesla community) that a site in Alamance / Burlington is under construction, and that led me to this post:

The Burlington, NC site reportedly has a transformer pad down, but nothing else yet. Alamance Crossing is one of the CBL Malls mentioned as part of the partnership with Tesla.

That post pointed to this page -- scroll down to the following comment:
    Supercharger Locations (existing/planned) - CONFIRMED - not rumored or speculated… | Forums | Tesla Motors

2. voidptr

voidptr Member

The Burlington site is definitely under construction at Alamance Crossing. They've got the pad and conduit down, but not much else yet. I put some photos in the other thread taken earlier today.

The one spot that's curiously not on their map even through 2015 is anywhere near the I40/I95 intersection, or anywhere on I40 farther east than that. That's a pretty critical spot for traveling to/from the Wilmington / Topsail beach region particularly from the Triangle.

3. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

Too funny, was paying a visit to the same construction site this morning, taking an extremely long detour while traveling between Raleigh and Moncure. :smile:

Added a few more photos to the same thread for that location: Burlington, NC Supercharger

4. airj1012

airj1012 Active Member

Does anybody know where Telsa is targeting to place the other Superchargers? Where is the one near Charlotte? In Gastonia? What about the one south of Greensboro? Just curious if anyone has heard any rumors on which exits they might be.

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

5. Tempus

Tempus Member

every time i look at that map, i get annoyed. They've got the burlington one marked wrong (at least i hope so). If you click on the fall 2013 slider, a grey one appears below the red one in between burlington and charlotte - i think that's actually burlington, and they need to add another one (BADLY) north of that. It's over 200 miles from the Richmond supercharger to burlington on 85, and there's no way i'm going to do that trip in my '60, especially not in winter.

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

That is what the Rocky Mount Station is for. You only have a ~130 mile leg. Sure it adds 40 miles to the trip but you can do it in a 60 right now.

7. Cadester

Cadester Member

I may have discovered the Charlotte supercharger location! Had lunch yesterday with my wife's family. Her uncle is an attorney for the city of Matthews right off of 485. He was excited to hear I drove a Tesla and mentioned that they were putting in a Tesla supercharger there. Apparently he was involved in reviewing the legal documents with Tesla for the charger. Not sure of the timing but it sounded like soon. I'll follow up with him soon for more details.

8. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

Thanks for the news! Please keep us posted.

9. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

Thanks! Looking forward to confirmation. That's a weird location for supporting I-85 and I-77 traffic.

matthews nc - Google Maps

10. bazer

bazer Member

Does anyone have any news on a supercharger somewhere in the Asheville NC or Knoxville TN area along the I-40 corridor so you can travel west?

I help run a one week summer camp in the Great Smoky Mountains and would need another charger out there since I am traveling from Raleigh. The one in Burlington is a great location and if in Asheville area that would be just about the right distance apart.

11. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

It looks like there will be an Asheville SC location but the exact timing is unknown (it's on the 2014 map). I made the trip to Knoxville and overnighted in Asheville at a 30A charger in the municipal parking garage.

12. Jonathan Hewitt

The one in Eastern NC is shown us "coming soon" on the supercharger map. Based on past evidence this usually means it's at least started. Anyone do any sleuthing work yet?

13. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

That one is supposed to be in Plymouth, NC but don't think anyone has found it yet.

14. ljwobker

ljwobker Geek.

#14 ljwobker, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    In case anyone else searches on this thread:

Plymouth Supercharger | Tesla Motors

And if I had to bet my own money on where the western NC one lands, I would offer these two guesses:

1) near exit 44 just west of Asheville. It's very close to the I-40/I-26 junction and close to US-70. There are a large number of hotels/restaurants and such there already, which would sort of fit the mold.

2) somewhere in the Canton/Clyde "valley" between exit 27 and 37. Guessing more specifically I'd think further west, so people could charge up before heading over the pass to Tennessee on I-40. Some of this might also depend on where the next I-40 SC is... it's almost 275 miles from Clyde to Nashville which is too far, but if you put a station halfway between Nashville and Knoxville, then another one halfway between Nashville and Memphis, you'd end up with approximately 200 mile spacing.

15. jfe_md

jfe_md Member

I assume you guys use the SC in Burlington. How busy is it when you stop there? Ever had to wait? I will use it occasionally once my S arrives for Christmas.

16. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I have never had to wait and in fact, I have only seen one other Model S there when I have stopped there. Of course I have only been there about 8 or 10 times.

17. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Never had to wait and I think I've only ever seen one other Model S charging (pretty sure it was dflye's sig Red) when I've been through there. I think I've used it 6 times now.

18. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

I've driven by 3-4 times in daylight, and never seen anyone there.

19. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Wait other people use that Supercharger? I thought Tesla built it just for me!

20. Eggplant

Eggplant Member

Yeah, never had to wait. The most I've ever seen are two other cars plus my own.