Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger stations in North Carolina

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChrisC

see signature
Apr 27, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I heard of work happening on a supercharger site in North Carolina, and there wasn't a thread here to track these, so I'm creating this one.

According to Tesla's SC plan at Supercharger | Tesla Motors , by the end of "Fall 2013" there will be 5-7 supercharger stations in NC, generally along the I-85 and I-95 corridors.

Yesterday I heard (via the Atlanta Tesla community) that a site in Alamance / Burlington is under construction, and that led me to this post:

As reported by TMC member Tyl, the TM existing/planned supercharger thread has a report of construction in progress in Burlington, NC. The construction crew says that the next ones will be in Plymouth, NC and Rocky Mount, NC which both line up with "Fall 2013" locations on the Tesla map.

The Burlington, NC site reportedly has a transformer pad down, but nothing else yet. Alamance Crossing is one of the CBL Malls mentioned as part of the partnership with Tesla.

That post pointed to this page -- scroll down to the following comment:
Supercharger Locations (existing/planned) - CONFIRMED - not rumored or speculated… | Forums | Tesla Motors

JayBoy | September 18, 2013
I just stopped by the Alamance Crossing shopping center near Burlington, NC....construction crew is working on station. They said they also had one going in Plymouth, NC and Rocky Mount, NC (both on 64 on the way to the outer banks).

The Burlington site is definitely under construction at Alamance Crossing. They've got the pad and conduit down, but not much else yet. I put some photos in the other thread taken earlier today.

The one spot that's curiously not on their map even through 2015 is anywhere near the I40/I95 intersection, or anywhere on I40 farther east than that. That's a pretty critical spot for traveling to/from the Wilmington / Topsail beach region particularly from the Triangle.

The Burlington site is definitely under construction at Alamance Crossing. They've got the pad and conduit down, but not much else yet. I put some photos in the other thread taken earlier today.

The one spot that's curiously not on their map even through 2015 is anywhere near the I40/I95 intersection, or anywhere on I40 farther east than that. That's a pretty critical spot for traveling to/from the Wilmington / Topsail beach region particularly from the Triangle.
Too funny, was paying a visit to the same construction site this morning, taking an extremely long detour while traveling between Raleigh and Moncure. :smile:

Added a few more photos to the same thread for that location: Burlington, NC Supercharger

every time i look at that map, i get annoyed. They've got the burlington one marked wrong (at least i hope so). If you click on the fall 2013 slider, a grey one appears below the red one in between burlington and charlotte - i think that's actually burlington, and they need to add another one (BADLY) north of that. It's over 200 miles from the Richmond supercharger to burlington on 85, and there's no way i'm going to do that trip in my '60, especially not in winter.

every time i look at that map, i get annoyed. They've got the burlington one marked wrong (at least i hope so). If you click on the fall 2013 slider, a grey one appears below the red one in between burlington and charlotte - i think that's actually burlington, and they need to add another one (BADLY) north of that. It's over 200 miles from the Richmond supercharger to burlington on 85, and there's no way i'm going to do that trip in my '60, especially not in winter.

That is what the Rocky Mount Station is for. You only have a ~130 mile leg. Sure it adds 40 miles to the trip but you can do it in a 60 right now.

I may have discovered the Charlotte supercharger location! Had lunch yesterday with my wife's family. Her uncle is an attorney for the city of Matthews right off of 485. He was excited to hear I drove a Tesla and mentioned that they were putting in a Tesla supercharger there. Apparently he was involved in reviewing the legal documents with Tesla for the charger. Not sure of the timing but it sounded like soon. I'll follow up with him soon for more details.

I may have discovered the Charlotte supercharger location! Had lunch yesterday with my wife's family. Her uncle is an attorney for the city of Matthews right off of 485. He was excited to hear I drove a Tesla and mentioned that they were putting in a Tesla supercharger there. Apparently he was involved in reviewing the legal documents with Tesla for the charger. Not sure of the timing but it sounded like soon. I'll follow up with him soon for more details.

Thanks for the news! Please keep us posted.

Does anyone have any news on a supercharger somewhere in the Asheville NC or Knoxville TN area along the I-40 corridor so you can travel west?

I help run a one week summer camp in the Great Smoky Mountains and would need another charger out there since I am traveling from Raleigh. The one in Burlington is a great location and if in Asheville area that would be just about the right distance apart.

Does anyone have any news on a supercharger somewhere in the Asheville NC or Knoxville TN area along the I-40 corridor so you can travel west?

I help run a one week summer camp in the Great Smoky Mountains and would need another charger out there since I am traveling from Raleigh. The one in Burlington is a great location and if in Asheville area that would be just about the right distance apart.

It looks like there will be an Asheville SC location but the exact timing is unknown (it's on the 2014 map). I made the trip to Knoxville and overnighted in Asheville at a 30A charger in the municipal parking garage.

In case anyone else searches on this thread:

Plymouth Supercharger | Tesla Motors

And if I had to bet my own money on where the western NC one lands, I would offer these two guesses:

1) near exit 44 just west of Asheville. It's very close to the I-40/I-26 junction and close to US-70. There are a large number of hotels/restaurants and such there already, which would sort of fit the mold.

2) somewhere in the Canton/Clyde "valley" between exit 27 and 37. Guessing more specifically I'd think further west, so people could charge up before heading over the pass to Tennessee on I-40. Some of this might also depend on where the next I-40 SC is... it's almost 275 miles from Clyde to Nashville which is too far, but if you put a station halfway between Nashville and Knoxville, then another one halfway between Nashville and Memphis, you'd end up with approximately 200 mile spacing.

Last edited:
I assume you guys use the SC in Burlington. How busy is it when you stop there? Ever had to wait? I will use it occasionally once my S arrives for Christmas.

Never had to wait and I think I've only ever seen one other Model S charging (pretty sure it was dflye's sig Red) when I've been through there. I think I've used it 6 times now.