Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Stations Needed in the Future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard Tesla say that they will not need a large number of superchargers because most people will charge up at home. This is partially true.
As Tesla's become more common, eventually there will be increasing numbers of used Tesla's for sale. Since electric vehicles should last longer there will be a lot of used vehicles for sale. People that buy these lower cost used cars are going to be less likely to be able to afford an at home charger and more likely to live in an apartment or be renting where they won't install their own charger. They will be exclusively using supercharging stations. This will greatly increase the need for the number of superstations. Some type of low cost loan program for installation of home chargers may help. Some way of spreading out the cost. It is still many years out but is something Tesla should start thinking about now.

I've heard Tesla say that they will not need a large number of superchargers because most people will charge up at home. This is partially true.
As Tesla's become more common, eventually there will be increasing numbers of used Tesla's for sale. Since electric vehicles should last longer there will be a lot of used vehicles for sale. People that buy these lower cost used cars are going to be less likely to be able to afford an at home charger and more likely to live in an apartment or be renting where they won't install their own charger. They will be exclusively using supercharging stations. This will greatly increase the need for the number of superstations. Some type of low cost loan program for installation of home chargers may help. Some way of spreading out the cost. It is still many years out but is something Tesla should start thinking about now.

I think apartment complexes should start thinking about EV plugs In parking spaces. It would make their complex stand out amount at the crowd.

Even with home charging I think we need more Super chargers. I ordered a mode S 60 which has a rated range of 210 miles. That only lets me go about 1.5 hours away before I need to head back home unless I can charge somewhere along the way.

The other looming issue that has been addressed but is still a concern of mine is locals using superchargers regularly. My understanding is that thy wee meant to enable long distance traveling, not a place to top off your charge or a place to park while you go to work.

I can't imagine why Tesla would think that. More Teslas mean more on long distance trips means more need for Superchargers, assuming that future Tesla purchasers wouldn't somehow will be less likely to go on road trips.

IMHO this could be a big issue for Tesla in a few years. If they don't continue aggressively building out the Supercharger system, there will be too many holiday TV stories featuring long lines of frustrated Tesla drivers queuing for packed Superchargers.