Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried my first stop at the Hamilton NJ super charging station. I'm only getting 120 miles an hour not the higher amounts shown by others. Is it because I don't have twin chargers? To get the 170 miles in 30 minutes do you need twin chargers?

Couple of reasons why you may be getting slower charging rates.

* Older Supercharges charged at a slower rate.

* There are 2 charging points on one charger. Note the labeling of 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, and so on. 1a and 1b for instance share the same charging so when vehicles are using both they sharing the same power and charge half as fast.

Onboard chargers are not used when supercharging, so not having dual chargers has no impact in this case.

I tried my first stop at the Hamilton NJ super charging station. I'm only getting 120 miles an hour not the higher amounts shown by others. Is it because I don't have twin chargers? To get the 170 miles in 30 minutes do you need twin chargers?

To get the fabled 170 miles in 30 minutes, you would need to start charging at near zero rated miles remaining. If you start at say 100 rated miles, it's going to take probably an hour to get to 260 (full). Also temperature is a factor if its hot or cold out, charging rates will vary.

At a Supercharger, twin chargers have nothing to do with speed of charging. Twin chargers only come into play if your charging at a 220 line (Nema 14-50, Level 2 J1772, etc.) that is more than 40 amps, i.e. a HPWC.

Charging at a supercharger is very fast up until about 220 miles of rated range. Beyond that it's crawling. So if you start at about 50 miles rated range, you can get 170 miles very fast. If you start at 100, you'll get 120 miles very fast, and then start crawling.

I often get over 330 mph charging and my car is from March, 2013.

At a Supercharger, twin chargers have nothing to do with speed of charging. Twin chargers only come into play if your charging at a 220 line (Nema 14-50, Level 2 J1772, etc.) that is more than 40 amps, i.e. a HPWC.
Not exactly. Dual chargers are of no benefit when charging from a NEMA 14-50 either, because by definition that's a 50A circuit and it charges at 40A. It's only when more than 40A are available that dual chargers are beneficial-- either HPWC installed on a circuit that provides more than 50A or a high amp J1772 charging station such as some of the Clipper Creek models.