TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Supercharger - Steele, AL

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Gwgan, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

supercharge.info says construction just started. On a trip north through there two days ago if this were online I would have charged in Steele and skipped the awkward Chattanooga airport charger.

Steele, AL
    905 Steele Station Rd

2. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

Good location. If I remember correctly, that Love's has a subway. Perfect place to grab a quick bite and some electrons to skip the Chattanooga charger.

They seriously need to look at moving the DeFuniak Springs, FL charger to the Love's at I-10 and 285.

• Like x 1
  3. ZAKEEUS

ZAKEEUS Member

Yes, the DeFuniak Springs SC is awkward during the day and abandoned at night

4. ElectricTundra

We've only been to Defuniak during the day but always kind of liked it. None of the food options (except Java Shack) was very healthy but still better food and environment that fast food and truck stops. Sad to see towns like this declining and sad to see Java Shack in Defuniak closed.

Truck stops and fast food mecca's like Steele are my least preferred charging locations, nicer mainstreets with local eateries my favorite.

5. doubleohwhat

When on a very long trip (or a road trip), I can see the value in having chargers in interesting locations. However, when I'm on a <500 mile trip, I just want to get from point A to point B and a truck stop with a subway works just fine. Fortunately, with all of the planned superchargers, most of the time we'll be able to pick and choose our charging stops instead of absolutely having to hit certain chargers on a given route.

As for Defuniak Springs, we were there week before last around 11PM. Cops were driving around with searchlights looking for a suspect. It really does seem to be one of those "fine during the day but sketchy at night" locations.

6. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

Odd, I would skip Birmingham in favor of Chattanooga. No good food options in Chattanooga other than bring your own, but in Birmingham the food is virtually mandatory.

7. ElectricTundra

Same.

With the new "Tesla's also have to pay to get out of the parking lot" policy in Birmingham you're quite right. Octane's not a bad option though.

8. jcollins

jcollins Member

Would love to know the progress on this supercharger. I'll be coming through on 8/2 and would like to use this to be able to skip Chattanooga on my way to the Dulles Airport area.

9. dstaplet

dstaplet Member

Hi everyone! I'm new here. No Tesla yet! I reported the supercharger construction to supercharge.info on July 4th. Here is a pic from that day. I'll also post more pics from today.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  10. doubleohwhat

11. dstaplet

dstaplet Member

And here are pictures from this evening, July 16th. Construction looks complete. Cabinets are enclosed in a wooden enclosure and the transformer appears to be installed. I checked the meter and the display was blank. 8 stall station.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  12. jcollins

jcollins Member

Great photos and great progress! Looks like it's almost ready to go. What does the surrounding area look like? Is there anything close for snacks, bathroom breaks, dining?

13. dstaplet

dstaplet Member

The supercharger is in the parking lot of a Love's Travel Stop just off the interstate. There's nothing else in walking distance, so you'll just spend your time at the truckstop. It has a subway, Chester's chicken, and Godfather's pizza. The store and restrooms are open 24/7; I'm not sure about the restaurants.

14. doubleohwhat

I usually end up traveling fairly late at night. So a 24/7 truck stop works for me as most traditional restaurants are closed that late.

15. jcollins

jcollins Member

Coming thru here on the 1st of August. Any chance of a progress report and the likelihood this SC will be open by then?

16. dstaplet

dstaplet Member

Looks like this site is not as far along as we thought. I went by there on Sunday, July 23rd and I noticed some work going on involving site power. There are 4-5 new utility poles with no lines, starting at the site and going out to a nearby utility pole with power lines. At the bottom of the closest pole, there looks to be conduit, etc. that may go to the transformer on the other side of the site.

I have attached pictures. I'm no expert; I may have interpreted this incorrectly.

Attached Files:

17. jcollins

jcollins Member

Ouch! I agree. while the charging stations look complete not having a connection from the power company isn't good. In some cases, that's taken quite a while to be completed. Let's up that's not the case here.

18. dstaplet

dstaplet Member

New update for 7/28. I stopped by and saw a lot of work had been completed. The parking signs are up. 4 spaces are marked "Vehicle Charging Only" and the other 4 are marked "30 minute general parking". The cones are gone, but the pedestals are not illuminated and the meter display is off. The closest pole now has a power line going off to the next pole, and there is conduit coming down the pole and into the ground (likely going to the transformer). However, the power lines have not been run to the next 2-3 utility poles to complete the connection.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  19. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

That seems to be standard Tesla signage these days. IIRC the variation found in hotel parking lots allows overnight parking on some but not all spots.

20. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Steele, AL

Interstates: I-59
    US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-11

I-59:
    To: End (I-24 nr Wildwood, GA): 87.1 miles
    Diversion: 0.1 miles

Cookeville, TN (I-59,I-24,US-27,TN-111,US70S,TN-111,I-40,TN-135): 198 miles
    Chattanooga, TN (I-59,I-24,I-75,TN-153): 110 miles
    Atlanta, GA (I-59,I-759,AL-759,u,US-431,i-20,I-85): 136 miles
    Auburn, AL (i-59,US-231,I-20,AL-77,AL-275,AL-21,US-280,u,AL-14): 133 miles