Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Steele, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good location. If I remember correctly, that Love's has a subway. Perfect place to grab a quick bite and some electrons to skip the Chattanooga charger.

They seriously need to look at moving the DeFuniak Springs, FL charger to the Love's at I-10 and 285.

Reactions: ZAKEEUS
We've only been to Defuniak during the day but always kind of liked it. None of the food options (except Java Shack) was very healthy but still better food and environment that fast food and truck stops. Sad to see towns like this declining and sad to see Java Shack in Defuniak closed.

Truck stops and fast food mecca's like Steele are my least preferred charging locations, nicer mainstreets with local eateries my favorite.

When on a very long trip (or a road trip), I can see the value in having chargers in interesting locations. However, when I'm on a <500 mile trip, I just want to get from point A to point B and a truck stop with a subway works just fine. Fortunately, with all of the planned superchargers, most of the time we'll be able to pick and choose our charging stops instead of absolutely having to hit certain chargers on a given route.

As for Defuniak Springs, we were there week before last around 11PM. Cops were driving around with searchlights looking for a suspect. It really does seem to be one of those "fine during the day but sketchy at night" locations.

Hi everyone! I'm new here. No Tesla yet! I reported the supercharger construction to supercharge.info on July 4th. Here is a pic from that day. I'll also post more pics from today.

Attachments

• IMG_3813 2.JPG
    IMG_3813 2.JPG
    258.9 KB · Views: 264
Reactions: emupilot
Great photos and great progress! Looks like it's almost ready to go. What does the surrounding area look like? Is there anything close for snacks, bathroom breaks, dining?
The supercharger is in the parking lot of a Love's Travel Stop just off the interstate. There's nothing else in walking distance, so you'll just spend your time at the truckstop. It has a subway, Chester's chicken, and Godfather's pizza. The store and restrooms are open 24/7; I'm not sure about the restaurants.

Coming thru here on the 1st of August. Any chance of a progress report and the likelihood this SC will be open by then?
Looks like this site is not as far along as we thought. I went by there on Sunday, July 23rd and I noticed some work going on involving site power. There are 4-5 new utility poles with no lines, starting at the site and going out to a nearby utility pole with power lines. At the bottom of the closest pole, there looks to be conduit, etc. that may go to the transformer on the other side of the site.

I have attached pictures. I'm no expert; I may have interpreted this incorrectly.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 130
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 138
New update for 7/28. I stopped by and saw a lot of work had been completed. The parking signs are up. 4 spaces are marked "Vehicle Charging Only" and the other 4 are marked "30 minute general parking". The cones are gone, but the pedestals are not illuminated and the meter display is off. The closest pole now has a power line going off to the next pole, and there is conduit coming down the pole and into the ground (likely going to the transformer). However, the power lines have not been run to the next 2-3 utility poles to complete the connection.

Attachments

• IMG_3887.JPG
    IMG_3887.JPG
    457 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3888.JPG
    IMG_3888.JPG
    488.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3889.JPG
    IMG_3889.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Informative
Reactions: callmesam