TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Strasburg, VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by LLWS, Jun 10, 2015.

1. swengl

swengl Member

IMG_2153 (1).jpg IMG_2158.jpg Stopped for a charge and a bite tonight. A family rolled up in their Escalade and asked questions about the chargers and Tesla in general. They were duly impressed with the technology and the car. I was doing my part to spread the good word ;)

- - - Updated - - -

One more...What a view! IMG_2149.jpg

2. jthompson

jthompson JThompson

Unfortunately when the start Phase 2 of the subdivision in the foreground, you won't have much of a view. :(

3. jfe_md

jfe_md Member

FYI: Apparently a DC fast charger is now available in Blacksburg, VA (Behind the Blacksburg Municipal Building on Draper Road). Will be free-of-cost initially. Too bad I didn't buy the optional charger but anyone with one travelling I-81 has one more option available.

4. RobinMS70D

RobinMS70D Member

Maxim Article Mentions Strasburg SuperCharger

Check out the Maxim article at We Took an Electrifying Ride In Tesla's Model S P90D | Maxim which mentions the author's stop at the Strasburg SC. I was there on 08Oct when Dan pulled up and began charging. He's VERY well informed about the Model S. More good press!

5. smartypnz

smartypnz Supporting Member

If one of those homeowners is savvy, there's a possibility to route the driveway close to the fence and maybe take advantage with their Tesla.

6. Lanny

Lanny ~

Confirmed. We used the CHAdeMO in Blacksburg on Monday. Charged at 132 mi/hr.

Lanny

blacksburg2.jpg

7. jfe_md

jfe_md Member

Your Model S looks a lot better sitting next to the charger than the Nissan Leaf in the photo that accompanied the article in yesterday's Roanoke Times!

8. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Lovely framing with the fall leaves!

9. shivasmith

shivasmith Member

We just used the Strasburg Supercharger on Sunday -- drove out from Maryland, charged up while eating at Denny's, entered Skyline Drive at the North entrance and exited at Thornton Gap w/ more than enough charge to return to DC / Maryland -- a great way to see Shenandoah National Park. And I used Autopilot on several stretches of I-66 as well as Skyline Drive. It's working great. 20151101_Strasburg.jpg

10. Lanny

Lanny ~

I saw a dark blue Model S turning into the Skyline Drive entrance when we were driving into Front Royal around noon Sunday. I wonder if that was you.

-Lanny

11. thetigerfans

thetigerfans Member

We used this SC last month. We topped out at 175 miles/hour. We've had better results at older SCs. Has anyone had better results?

12. republic

republic Member

I've used it twice and got around 370 miles/hour each time.

13. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

What was your state of charge, and was the paired supercharger being used? Reporting miles of range per hour really isn't a useful comparison anyway as it's an average of the session, not an instantaneous reading. The preferred way to report supercharger output is kW (V times A on the display).

14. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

I tested it out last weekend. I pulled in with 140 rated miles on my 85, hit the 7-11 real quick, and left with 171RM. Average rate was around 270MPH.

15. thetigerfans

thetigerfans Member

I was the only one there. When I called HQ to ask why it was so slow, all they did was ask about the temperature, which was in the 50s.

16. republic

republic Member

How long had you been driving?

When my battery is at ambient temperature in the 50s, it only charges at around 50kw. It takes a while for the pack to warm up.

17. thetigerfans

thetigerfans Member

20 minutes

18. republic

republic Member

That's probably it. Supercharging works best at the end of a drive - I've definitely planned cold-weather trips around SC locations for that reason.

19. thetigerfans

thetigerfans Member

We were below 50% charge when we arrived and 50 degrees is not cold, so I'm not sure that is it.

20. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Used this supercharger last Friday. Worked great and fast. I saw someone had an issue but when that happens to me just stop disconnect and it's worked. Question poor contact?

Kudos us to tesla. Great placement. About half way between wash dc and Harrisonburg. Very mountainous area so it meant I did not have to conserve energy. The view is fantastic as well