Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Strathmore, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove to Strathmore this afternoon to check out the new Supercharger (by the RBC bank). It all looks complete and there are no barriers blocking the stalls, the site visually appears to be fully functional. I pulled up to a stall and attempted to plug into my Model 3 however there was no power available. I did not see any notices/signs indicating when this site will be powered up but I am guessing it should be soon (flicking the on switch).

RAV4? Are you crazy? They might not be fired up until January. But, I can confirm a Model 3 LR is sufficient for me in Medicine Hat, despite the lack of superchargers.
The 2021 RAV4 PHEV.

Our Model 3 LR is sufficient for getting around Drumheller too, but that's not a feat that the EV1 couldn't have accomplished. I was (perhaps willingly) mislead into believing it would be much better for going to other places ("supercharger 'coming soon in 2018' so should be just a couple more weeks"), and that 'full self driving' was more useful on more days in more places, or I just would not have bought it.

Reactions: irelandm
Yeah, I skipped the FSD/Autopilot ... Just not useful enough for my taste, but so far the range has been totally fine for us. It's the only car we own, and we go to Edmonton & Kelowna from time to time. It will be really nice once these SCs are finally live.

You skipped autopilot? I love my old AP1 on trips. Still if I had version 2 hardware, I wouldn't pay for FSD yet. I want to wait til they figure out winter driving, but having a smart cruise control is awesome.

Actually, here in my neighborhood and on my commute, the smart cruise drives me crazy because it has the wrong speeds in the navmap, so ... That's annoying lol! Also yeah, winter driving is not great yet either. I found the Autopilot trials (I've had 2 now) to be especially bad on 23rd St (north side of med hat toward the light industrial area & the plants), in part due to the crappy paint. As for road trips, I'm sure I'd find the smart cruise handy (and I'd be willing to pay a partial fee for that feature alone), but the autopilot trials actually convinced me not to. The periodic nags to apply force were annoying and often ended up disengaging autopilot because I applied too much.

I have high hopes for FSD, and I have no doubt that driverless taxis are just around the corner, but it's not for me ... Yet.

It’s alive! Almost! And already two ICEs have taken two of the spaces since I’ve started charging.
image.jpg

Six is an unusual number of stalls for a V3 installation. The cabinets are capable of four stalls per cabinet. Is the restriction due to parking lot size? I see a number of 6 stall V3 installations that came live in Canada this week.

I'm not sure. The one here in Medicine Hat has room for 2 more, from my rough analysis. Maybe it's a regulatory thing or something.

Size matters. Winnipeg got 8. Almost every other location has 6 (for now).

I think we're reaching the EV tipping point, from the dilemma "where can I charge?" to "Which charger shall I use?". Between SC and the PetroCan and Canadian Tire installs, it looks like within a year there will be options all over... except North Dakota.

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq and irelandm
I didn’t see another Tesla the entire trip from Calgary to Diefenbaker Lake after stopping at the SCs in Strathmore, Bassano, Medicine Hat, Maple Creek, and Swift Current yesterday. I think 6 is probably plenty for the next year at least.
If you build it, they will come. When I got my car 4 years ago it was a rarity to see another car driving between Edmonton and Calgary, and a cause for excitement when there was actually another one charging at the same time as me. Now the 4-stall Red Deer charger is often full, even on weekdays, and Cross Iron can be very busy. The new 8-stall Red Deer charger will help a lot. You may be surprised how quickly things start getting busier once people realise they can make trips like you did now; having the charging infrastructure takes away a big obstacle in converting people to EVs.