Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sudbury, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I promised a trip report if I tried Timmins to Sudbury. Tesla Model X P90D in darkness and temperatures as low as -25 C. Here's the short version:

1. It can be done.
2. Don't do it.

In more detail: I charged to 100% at the Tru-Nor truck centre on the west side of Timmins. It's 292 km from there to the Supercharger in Sudbury. The temperature was -23 C to -25 C for most of the route, warming up once in Sudbury to a balmy -16. For 2/3 of the way I drove 70 km/h, with the windows cracked open to prevent fogging up. No cabin heat, just seat heat and steering wheel heat. Despite going 70 km/h, I was only passed by 15 vehicles on the way, 5 tractor trailers, a couple of cars, and a bunch of pickup trucks. With 100 km left to go I got tired of going that slowly, plus I was starting to get cold feet (literally, not figuratively!), so I "drafted" the last truck that passed me. (Cruise control on with following setting set to 1 is really mild "drafting" as you're still a ways back from the truck, but there is a noticeable savings in energy used). The truck was going about 100 km/h. I ran the heater in Sudbury, when I was sure I could make it. The estimate at that point was an arrival with 6% left. I actually arrived with 3% left.

Why would I subject myself to this? Because the alternate route to Toronto does not have any fast chargers, so it requires (in that weather) probably 8 hours at the 30A charger in Englehart, and some more time at the hotel in North Bay. Why drive at all? Because I am moving back to B.C. and need to take the car with me. The weather in northern Ontario was just not co-operating, with lows below -30 C in Timmins more than once in the past week.

So, the Sudbury supercharger came in really handy for me. Once.

If you came from Timmins via Chelmsford/Azilda, there is a L3 CHAdeMO KSI charger there as well just in case you need to top up before hitting the Super Charger.

Are you in Sudbury long? Pretty nice weather today... it's -23 with a wind chill of -33!! :)

I promised a trip report if I tried Timmins to Sudbury. Tesla Model X P90D in darkness and temperatures as low as -25 C. Here's the short version:

1. It can be done.
2. Don't do it.

In more detail: I charged to 100% at the Tru-Nor truck centre on the west side of Timmins. It's 292 km from there to the Supercharger in Sudbury. The temperature was -23 C to -25 C for most of the route, warming up once in Sudbury to a balmy -16. For 2/3 of the way I drove 70 km/h, with the windows cracked open to prevent fogging up. No cabin heat, just seat heat and steering wheel heat. Despite going 70 km/h, I was only passed by 15 vehicles on the way, 5 tractor trailers, a couple of cars, and a bunch of pickup trucks. With 100 km left to go I got tired of going that slowly, plus I was starting to get cold feet (literally, not figuratively!), so I "drafted" the last truck that passed me. (Cruise control on with following setting set to 1 is really mild "drafting" as you're still a ways back from the truck, but there is a noticeable savings in energy used). The truck was going about 100 km/h. I ran the heater in Sudbury, when I was sure I could make it. The estimate at that point was an arrival with 6% left. I actually arrived with 3% left.

Why would I subject myself to this? Because the alternate route to Toronto does not have any fast chargers, so it requires (in that weather) probably 8 hours at the 30A charger in Englehart, and some more time at the hotel in North Bay. Why drive at all? Because I am moving back to B.C. and need to take the car with me. The weather in northern Ontario was just not co-operating, with lows below -30 C in Timmins more than once in the past week.

So, the Sudbury supercharger came in really handy for me. Once.

LOL man I might be biased but welcome to the best coast!! Victoria is going to seem like heaven on earth after -30C :)

LOL man I might be biased but welcome to the best coast!! Victoria is going to seem like heaven on earth after -30C :)

Thanks. I am biased too. :) I've lived in Victoria since 1999, I was just in Ontario to pursue a flying career. I now have an airline job back in B.C.

If you came from Timmins via Chelmsford/Azilda, there is a L3 CHAdeMO KSI charger there as well just in case you need to top up before hitting the Super Charger.

Yes, I drove right past it. It is good to know it is there, but I would not try it unless I was desperate. What if it doesn't work, and you spend a long time in the cold with the car battery getting colder? And with KSI, there is a good chance that it will not work. I used that KSI charger once, it took me 10 minutes to get the thing to start. That was my first experience with KSI. The telephone "support" was completely useless.

I am now back in Victoria, btw. 5351 km, 5 days plus that evening getting from Timmins to Sudbury. Temperatures below -20 all the way across Iowa and most of Nebraska. The first time I saw a temperature above 0 C was on I-84 near Salt Lake City. In Seattle it was +9. Fortunately, the trip across the U.S. is quite feasible, even in winter, because the Superchargers are so close together: 100 to 180 km in most cases.

Thanks. I am biased too. :) I've lived in Victoria since 1999, I was just in Ontario to pursue a flying career. I now have an airline job back in B.C.

Yes, I drove right past it. It is good to know it is there, but I would not try it unless I was desperate. What if it doesn't work, and you spend a long time in the cold with the car battery getting colder? And with KSI, there is a good chance that it will not work. I used that KSI charger once, it took me 10 minutes to get the thing to start. That was my first experience with KSI. The telephone "support" was completely useless.

I am now back in Victoria, btw. 5351 km, 5 days plus that evening getting from Timmins to Sudbury. Temperatures below -20 all the way across Iowa and most of Nebraska. The first time I saw a temperature above 0 C was on I-84 near Salt Lake City. In Seattle it was +9. Fortunately, the trip across the U.S. is quite feasible, even in winter, because the Superchargers are so close together: 100 to 180 km in most cases.

Once again, I am the only Tesla owner in Timmins. Bummer!
Have an excellent time in BC.

Reactions: PoweredByRain

that's an epic journey in the worst possible conditions with a heavy model X...and you made it. Pretty cool . 5351 kms...wow.

When you charge to 100% what is your shown range (rated range)? What is your long term average wh/km?

Reactions: PoweredByRain
that's an epic journey in the worst possible conditions with a heavy model X...and you made it. Pretty cool . 5351 kms...wow.

When you charge to 100% what is your shown range (rated range)? What is your long term average wh/km?

I haven't charged to 100% in some time. In fact, the last time would have been in Timmins to make the trip to Sudbury. I keep the display on % charge, not km estimated, so I don't have the number easily at hand, but I believe it was something like 402 km.

Long term average, including time in Timmins consuming more energy heating the car than moving it, :) is about 235 Wh/km. The average over the 5351 km was 285 Wh/km; 1526.8 kWh consumed, cost to me: $0.

Keep in mind, for the information of those new to the efficiency of EVs: 1.5 MWh is the energy equivalent of about 170 L of gasoline. So, a 5000 pound vehicle (including payload), moved 5000 km across the continent in extremely cold conditions, consumed the equivalent of 170 L of gasoline. That's still about triple the efficiency of a gasoline vehicle that size.

I haven't charged to 100% in some time. In fact, the last time would have been in Timmins to make the trip to Sudbury. I keep the display on % charge, not km estimated, so I don't have the number easily at hand, but I believe it was something like 402 km.

Long term average, including time in Timmins consuming more energy heating the car than moving it, :) is about 235 Wh/km. The average over the 5351 km was 285 Wh/km; 1526.8 kWh consumed, cost to me: $0.

Keep in mind, for the information of those new to the efficiency of EVs: 1.5 MWh is the energy equivalent of about 170 L of gasoline. So, a 5000 pound vehicle (including payload), moved 5000 km across the continent in extremely cold conditions, consumed the equivalent of 170 L of gasoline. That's still about triple the efficiency of a gasoline vehicle that size.
Incredible. Why 5300 kms? Shows online as 3800 to 4000. Did you have to take any exceptional detours?

I'm guessing he went through Detroit and Chicago. You know, to take advantage of the superchargers and all :)

Exactly. I have driven across northern Ontario in the summer. It is barely feasible then. It would be impossible to do in cold temperatures. So, from Timmins I had to go south toward Toronto, then out the 401 to cross into the U.S. at Detroit, then I carried on *past* Chicago on I-80 rather than taking I-90, for two reasons:
1. I've already done the I-90 route, might as well see something new
2. I thought it might be a smidge warmer further south. If -24 is warmer, then I wonder what the temperatures were like in south Dakota...

Going via Detroit then up to I-90 is 5043 km, according to Google. But this includes toll roads, which I avoided. Going via Detroit and Cheyenne, WY (i.e. I-80 to I-84 to I-82 to I-90 to I-5 rather than I-90 to I-5) is, according to Google, 5219 km. On top of that you have to include a bit of local driving I did to visit relatives in Ontario, plus all the extra driving to get to and from Superchargers. I visited 34 Superchargers on the way. Some are quick on-off, but even those usually add at least 1 km of driving. Some are more out of the way, such as Twin Falls, Idaho, which is about 7 km from I-80. Thus adding 14 km to the trip. But well worth it.
IMG_8200.JPG
IMG_8209.JPG

Reactions: PLUS EV and mrElbe