Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sulphur Springs, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to keep starting threads on speculation, but it's based upon some good information. The last I heard, the CSB in Greenville was a high possibility (and may still be). I was told by the manager there that Tesla had already been out to do measurements, etc.

But now, I discovered this. Looks like Sulphur Springs has been approached.

Per ksst radio in Sulphur Springs:

A downtown parking facility with 74 stalls, an agreement with Tesla Motor Inc for a supercharger in the 300 block of Tomlinson, and contracts for a fuel farm and for a waterline on Bill Bradford Road are just some of the items on the agenda for the Sulphur Springs City Council Tuesday, January 5th at 7 p.m., in the Council Room at 201 North Davis Street.

1. Discussion/action on a motion to approve a proposed agreement with Tesla Motors Inc. to locate a supercharger in the 300 block of Tomlinson Street.
This would be located next to downtown, which will be a few miles off of I30. But downtown Sulphur Springs is very nice with a lot of great little restaurants and stores.

Personally, this location would be not as ideal as one in Greenville, as it's only just 15-20 miles from my home but it makes sense for the I30 corridor.

We'll see!

Reactions: Softwizard
Just looked at Google maps street view. Doesn't look to me like a SC location. 1) Crappy Lot 2) No business adjacent - just the Police station across the street 3) Have to drive thru the middle of a small Texas town get from I-30 to the lot. Not at all consistent, IMO, with the usual quick-on quick-off lot attached to a Panera that we usually see.

Is there a strip mall / lifestyle center with a Panera in Sulfur Springs?

Just looked at Google maps street view. Doesn't look to me like a SC location. 1) Crappy Lot 2) No business adjacent - just the Police station across the street 3) Have to drive thru the middle of a small Texas town get from I-30 to the lot. Not at all consistent, IMO, with the usual quick-on quick-off lot attached to a Panera that we usually see.

Panera in a small Texas town? Not likely. The intersection you're looking for is I-30 & Broadway (SH 154) south of town. It has the normal chains and a few hotels.

From what little we know, it seems the model here is similar to Shamrock -- Supercharger is on city property in the center of town. In any event, I guess we'll know tonight!

There are lots of superchargers sited in small towns where you can patronize the local shops and restaurants while charging. It's a nice break from the typical shopping center stops.

Well, it sounds pretty official. The motion passed tonight unanimously. 8 Stalls, including one handicap.

I can see why there is some trepidation with the location of it, being a little more than a full mile away from I-30. In fact, Tesla even expressed that hesitation to the city, but the city convinced them (along with sweetening the deal by agreeing to pay for laying the conduit and the pad for the transformer).

In the end, I do think it will be a popular supercharger for the following reasons:

1. Unlike the other SCs in Texas (most of them), you might have a Collin Street Bakery or Chilis to go to. Sulphur Springs has the old time "small town" downtown right next door with at least 6 mom & pop restaurants. Rick counted them tonight.
2. The downtown is extremely inviting to get out and walk around. Brick lined streets, magnolia trees dotting the street, and then the square itself has several shops along with a splash pad for the kids.
3. They did indicate that these will be Tesla specific parking, so hopefully they will be proactive about towing ICE vehicles.
4. The lot right now is indeed a bad lot, but this is being completely rebuilt with a brand new parking lot (74 stalls, including 8 for Tesla).

This all happened about a month ago (contact with Tesla from the city). They hope to start here soon (first quarter).

So, I would think this puts the nail in the coffin for Greenville. If I were to guess when it would be finished, I'd say 3-5 months, but pure guess on my part.

It was good to meet Rick, he gave a nice speech to the members on the benefits of Tesla. I spoke a little and even gave the Mayor the royal tour.

Supercharger - Sulphur Springs, TX (Another speculation)

It was good to meet Rick, he gave a nice speech to the members on the benefits of Tesla. I spoke a little and even gave the Mayor the royal tour.
I was great to meet you as well! I wound up speaking with each of the council members and the Mayor and they were all very excited about the Supercharger. I gave two of the council members and the local newspaper reporter a ride.

Although I was happy to talk about the benefits a Supercharger would bring, the local presence you and local bookstore owner (and New York Times bestselling author and new Tesla owner) Colleen Hoover brought meant a lot to the council.

I'm excited about this Supercharger -- it really is an attractive location and there are actually lots of things to do within two blocks. Some restaurants are open early and the sports bar right across the street from the Supercharger location is open at least until midnight. The location is so different from any other Supercharger I've been to, it's one of the ones that you'd want to plan your stop around -- it's not at a Holiday Inn Express, a single restaurant's parking lot, or a mall -- it's an authentic, well-kept small town.

The city manager acknowledged that Tesla had some trepidation about selecting a location a mile off the Interstate, but I think you will be pleased with what's on offer.

Muddy Jake's Sports Grille & Pub. Visible from the Supercharger site.

7b3ff180f331d05f880e4066089f2e71.jpg

Imaging eight Supercharger stalls against this wall.

cf42450ee1cbb3d8127c208a1534a0f7.jpg

View north from the Supercharger site. All of this lot will be turned into parking spaces and a green area. Pioneer Cafe is the closest restaurant and you can see Muddy Jakes on the far right.

67e743c848462d31696f488bced483f0.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Softwizard
That's great. I think those "small downtown" locations are very appealing.

Anyone sent the address to supercharge.info?

EDIT: Tesla will now have a presence on another Interstate. Would only need another 2 to cover it comfortably.
EDIT2: no, needs more than that.

Last edited:
We're famous. :)

The council approved a proposed parking improvement along Main, Davis, and Tomlinson Streets that would provide 74 parking stalls at a cost of $300,000. This would allow at least an additional 30 parking spaces for the downtown area. Included in the parking area will be an 8 stall charging station for Tesla Motors. The Tesla charging station was also approved by the council Tuesday following statements made by two out of town individuals who desire to have increased charging opportunities for their travels to Sulphur Springs and beyond and by one downtown business owner who owns a Tesla auto. The charger will be located in the 300 block of Tomlinson.

City Council Appoints ZBA Members, Approve Parking Improvements, Welcome Tesla Charging Station | Ksst Radio

I just noticed this pop up on supercharge.info. Although it doesn't directly affect me as an Australian non-owner, I couldn't help but notice it is an initial step into what is currently a supercharger dead zone through Arkansas. Big news!

I just noticed this pop up on supercharge.info. Although it doesn't directly affect me as an Australian non-owner, I couldn't help but notice it is an initial step into what is currently a supercharger dead zone through Arkansas. Big news!

I agree that Sulphur Springs is a great hint from Tesla that Arkansas is on its was to leave the current list of 4 states in the 48 that don't have Superchargers. OTOH, I bet that Mississippi (Jackson?) departs the list first. The other 2 states in the 48 without Superchargers are North Dakota and Nebraska.

A mile off the interstate isn't so bad...try 3 miles at the St. George, UT SC. I guess Tesla prefers to keep these interstate detours to a minimum.

St. George is a 4 mile diversion if traveling S to N on I-15. At least according to Supercharge.info/Google maps. There are a number of larger diversions than that.

For people traveling along I-30, Sulphur Springs doesn't in fact have to add any distance, if people take US-67 (Business) in and out.
(Time is a different matter).

Ok, so I guess I was completely wrong. Sounds great. The announcement appears to suggest that they are "adding" quite a few spots. Does that mean they're actually going to build a garage, with the chargers in the garage? Fro what I see on streetview, the current parking area already sprawls through that entire corner.