TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger- Summit, NJ

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by GreenMachina, Feb 6, 2018.

1. fabianluque

fabianluque Member

I’ve stopped by today. Construction has began. For now it’s just moving dirt around, all buildings have been removed. Will report back when I see more significant progress.

2. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Do you mean for the wawa? Was it confirmed there would be a sc there?

3. tfinan

tfinan Member

It is not a confirmed supercharger location, simply my speculation based on the Tesla/Wawa partnership at other sites.

4. fabianluque

fabianluque Member

Correct, just construction. I didn’t even see signs indicating there’s a Wawa station in construction, at least for now.

Too early to tell if a SC will be there.

5. GreenMachina

GreenMachina Member

Here's the site currently that may become the SC location. hO1cb%jFRniIx4wQvez97g.jpg

• Informative x 1
  6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Two points for anyone that isn’t aware.

1. The Vienna VA Supercharger isn’t what I call ‘right near a highway’. When completed it will be several miles from 66. Not sure what ‘near’ means to some. So, no idea what Tesla’s criteria are here.

2. Have to say again the pin for a ‘coming soon’ location is almost always on the middle of the name or rarely a neighborhood. If you don’t see that, zoom in or out. Time spent looking at what is ‘right at the pin’ is usually wasted. Seriously. It’s on the name as a placeholder.

7. generalenthu

generalenthu Member

This is not the Vienna thread, but the Vienna SC is 1.1 miles from 66. Not sure I'd describe that as several miles.

Shared route
    From 465 Maple Ave W to 2750-2810 VA-243 via VA-243 S/Nutley St SW.

3 min (1.1 mi)
    3 min in current traffic

Google Maps

• Like x 1
  8. boaterva

Did you even understand my point at all? Of course it’s not the Vienna thread. It was an example of a planned site not right next to an exit. And that 1.1 miles can take 30 minutes in rush hour traffic. Who cares what google says on the weekend. :D

• Disagree x 1
  9. paulkva

paulkva Member

I have to admit I initially missed your point. But perhaps you missed the later speculation in this thread about the Summit supercharger being at a Wawa that's under construction right near the intersection of I-78 and Route 24? It'll be ~1/4 mile from the nearest highway exit, and in that context I couldn't see why you were talking about Vienna here.

You're absolutely right, of course, about the Summit NJ marker on Tesla's Find Us map. Sadly, you're also right about potentially taking 30 minutes to go 1.1 mi on Nutley St in rush hour.

• Like x 2
  10. The Red Menace

The Red Menace New Member

UPDATE: I stopped by the office of the Springfield Township Engineer yesterday and I learned that Tesla has been in contact with the Township seeking approval for the installation of several Superchargers at what is known as the WaWa construction site next to Firestone on Morris Avenue (NJ Hwy 82). I have been told that Tesla already has had a relationship with the WaWa chain. It appears that any agreement must have the approval of the Springfield Township governing body and that, assuming that the project becomes a reality, it is months away.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
  11. boaterva

A quarter mile is a different story, of course! Also I just get tired of people taking as gospel the pin location when they mean nothing more than a general intention to build something ‘in the vicinity’ (see Leesburg, Virginia for another example).