Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger- Springfield, NJ - Cleveland Place

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any updates on this Supercharger?

I doubt this one will actually get built.

My reasons
- Tesla’s usually has a desire to be right off a highway. There’s not any readily available spots right off the highway for it. Maybe the Park and Ride where 78 and 24 intersects.

Which brings me to..

- There’s not a lot of shopping/food area if they placed it in the park and ride, that’s all that’s there. There’s the summit train station but it’s a good ways off the highway. The ShopRite area of 124/24 seems like a good area, but that’s I think that’s not summit anymore but Millburn.

- There arent any of Tesla’s partners in summit. (Ruby Tuesday, Quick Check, Wawa, etc)

If anyone else has it figured out, I’d like to hear it. I think the surrounding areas - Short Hills/Millburn would be a better option.

Just north of the Shoprite is Summit, same side of road against Rt. 24. Could be easy on and off from something there. I guess I could go to my town and ask where they filed for? That public info?

Seems they were delivering a few Model 3's locally and the driver could hit the postman.

Attachments

• Hc7iWxqYTJO5fdg0773gww.jpg
    Hc7iWxqYTJO5fdg0773gww.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 170
  • eeJy5VdLQ9WAG45lKHM54g.jpg
    eeJy5VdLQ9WAG45lKHM54g.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 133
Yinn, what's the best way to find out where they might be building it? Go into the town hall and ask? If so what's the best question to ask the building dept.? Thanks.

That would definitely be one way, it depends on the town. The township construction office/permitting office may have an idea if it's further along. There's some townships that have published meeting minutes, and I've seen some planning information in the minutes. Last is to put in a customer service email to some of Tesla's partners to ask if they have a plan for charging in the area.

Reactions: GreenMachina
I stopped over to the Summit town hall and no one had a clue what I was talking about. They said they weren't aware that Tesla had submitted anything to them. So they directed me to the person they thought would know. She wasn't in so I sent her an email (showing her the image on Tesla's website with the future SuperCharger in Summit) and I'm awaiting a response. Will let everyone know of any updates when she gets back to me.

Seems the person who could know doesn't know a thing but recalls a conversation she had about it, it seems. Only she didn't have the conversation with me. Her response was:

I recall our conversation. I have not been contacted by Tesla as to installation of a SuperCharge station in an existing parking lot and I have no knowledge of a construction permit application for installation of the charging station. You might want to call the hotel. I seem to recall that you mentioned the hotel as a possible location. I wonder if you have contacted Tesla directly.

There is a Tesla courtesy charger at The Grand Summit Hotel for hotel guests only. Maybe they're talking about expanding it. Not the best location for easy access to the major highways.

The pins are the map are just an estimation of where and when they might build one. some of those pins have been 'coming soon' for years, and some have disappeared. I wouldn't put much stock in it beyond a rough guide of density and which routes they are trying to cover.

I haven't heard anything. I haven't popped into town hall either for any updates either. Does anyone know of another name they'd file the permit with besides "Tesla"?

It may not have Tesla on it at all. Especially if it goes into an existing commercial space like a WaWa. I know the one in Basking Ridge has Site Acquisitions LLC listed as the applicant. I've also seen it generically listed as "EV Chargers" for permit reason so "Supercharger" wouldnt help much either.

I doubt this one will actually get built.

My reasons
- Tesla’s usually has a desire to be right off a highway. There’s not any readily available spots right off the highway for it. Maybe the Park and Ride where 78 and 24 intersects.

Which brings me to..

- There’s not a lot of shopping/food area if they placed it in the park and ride, that’s all that’s there. There’s the summit train station but it’s a good ways off the highway. The ShopRite area of 124/24 seems like a good area, but that’s I think that’s not summit anymore but Millburn.

- There arent any of Tesla’s partners in summit. (Ruby Tuesday, Quick Check, Wawa, etc)

If anyone else has it figured out, I’d like to hear it. I think the surrounding areas - Short Hills/Millburn would be a better option.

-The best site would be in the Kings Parking Lot in Short Hills. The lot is huge, even during holidays food shopping. It is bordered on its north side by fencing and heavy shrubbery which would be a good area for the Supercharger as it would not hinder regular shoppers. Best of all, it is adjacent to Rt. 24 with easy access to the east, Interstate 78 (NYC) and the West (Morris County and Pennsylvania). Food and varied shopping facilities are close by which allows the driver to perform other tasks while the Tesla is powering up. I sent a proposal to Tesla months ago including a Google aerial map. Never received a response. Best guess is that until a few more quarters of financial success have passed, Tesla will not even consider expending the funds to install more NJ Superchargers.
I would be interested in learning of the reaction of other TMC members to this proposal.

-The best site would be in the Kings Parking Lot in Short Hills. The lot is huge, even during holidays food shopping. It is bordered on its north side by fencing and heavy shrubbery which would be a good area for the Supercharger as it would not hinder regular shoppers. Best of all, it is adjacent to Rt. 24 with easy access to the east, Interstate 78 (NYC) and the West (Morris County and Pennsylvania). Food and varied shopping facilities are close by which allows the driver to perform other tasks while the Tesla is powering up. I sent a proposal to Tesla months ago including a Google aerial map. Never received a response. Best guess is that until a few more quarters of financial success have passed, Tesla will not even consider expending the funds to install more NJ Superchargers.
I would be interested in learning of the reaction of other TMC members to this proposal.

But that would be short hills and wouldn’t be summit. It is the most logical area though. If they were going to go into Short Hills, I’d also venture to guess that they’d install at the mall being that they already have a contract there, have a good relationship with Simon malls, and will most likely need the dealership license to transfer over to Lawrenceville. This means they’d no longer be giving test drives and wouldn’t need the existing parking spots either.

With the news of the Basking Ridge Charger off of exit 36, I just can’t see anywhere in Summit proper that they’d install one. It’s what? 5-10miles away?

Reactions: preilly44
The superchargers at Woodbridge and Menlo Park mall are physically closer than that ( I estimate 1-2 miles). Short Hills or Springfield make perfect sense as an alternative, just like the Newark Supercharger is landing in Kearney instead. Having any supercharger near the intersection of 24 and 78 is a smart move in my opinion.

The superchargers at Woodbridge and Menlo Park mall are physically closer than that ( I estimate 1-2 miles). Short Hills or Springfield make perfect sense as an alternative, just like the Newark Supercharger is landing in Kearney instead. Having any supercharger near the intersection of 24 and 78 is a smart move in my opinion.

Menlo and Woodbridge are also right off the highway and services two different traveling routes. I think that area of 78/24 makes sense if they can get it right off the highway.

When I said summit proper, I meant actually in town by the train station. There would be so much local traffic to deal with instead of jumping off either highway. I also think off of 24 makes more sense than 78. There’s no exit off 78 heading west bound from 24 for nearly 5 miles. So the one off 78 in Basking Ridge fills the PA to NY on Rt 78 gap better, and rather than trying to force a 78/24 compromise I think one that services the 24 highway would make more sense.

My thought is that this future Wawa site may be where the Summit NJ Supercharger will ultimately appear.

Google Maps
You are being redirected...

3. Wawa
This project received Planning Board approval to construct a proposed 5,585 sq. ft. Wawa convenience store with fuel sales. The site is located at the corner of Morris Turnpike (NJ Route 124), Cleveland Place and Morris Avenue, and will span a total of seven existing lots. The project site totals 1.61 acres in size. All existing commercial and residential structures will be removed. The proposed convenience store with fuel sales will operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A 5,376-sq. ft. accessory structure fuel canopy with 6 product dispensers is incorporated into the site design. A 50-space parking lot will serve the site. The applicant will install a new traffic signal at the Morris Turnpike/Cleveland Place intersection. Construction is expected in late Spring 2019.

Wawa.jpg