Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sunnyvale, CA - W. McKinley Ave (LIVE 12 Mar 2018, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same on Sunday the 10th. Had the yellow tape still. All stalls ICE'd.

Of all the superchargers I've personally seen in California, this one looks like it is among the most (if not the most) likely to be more consistently ICE'd, especially on the weekends. This is a popular Target store and yet the total number of parking spaces seem much fewer than most Targets. So even though they have placed the Superchargers at the periphery of the lot, it's not all that much further than many of the other 'normal' spots and there were people driving up and down isles (myself included) waiting for anyone to leave to grab a spot (i.e. supply of parking spots couldn't meet the demand).

Perhaps it is just during this holiday season time that it is so popular. I hope so and I hope that I am wrong. But at this point, I have a bad feeling about the potential of high degree of ICEing.

Well, you all need to write a letter to the City Hall and ask the City Manager to make a sign saying: Exclusive parking for EV's. And ask to be enforced for 60 days
The problem is that the superchargers are on private property, not city-owned property. Dual-use stalls are the result of a negotiation between Tesla and Target to have the supercharger located there.

I think this site will be heavily used by Tesla owners once it opens, and ICE cars won't have much opportunity to park there. But we'll see.

Reactions: Blu Zap
FWIW, the permit number on this project is 20174392 (address 298 W Mc Kinley Av). The last inspection happened on 11/15 and all the inspections in November passed (plan permit was approved on 10/9, so permit to construction did progress quickly). Status is still showing Active (no surprise). No indication if a final fire inspection has happened yet before the city can give its final building inspection. Interestingly the city does have open inspection dates this week and next on W-F.

Status update, 21 December 2017: still not open. :(

All stalls completely ICEd as might be expected during the week before Christmas.

I've been watching to see if a new transformer gets installed on the concrete pad at the end of the row (see post #23 in this thread for a picture), but nothing has changed there. Speculation: it might be for the level 2 chargers.

I called the City of Sunnyvale's inspections office today and asked for the latest update regarding the Supercharger build at the Target site. According to their records, the last inspection was performed on November 15th and the permit was issued on that same day. At this point, the city is waiting for Tesla to schedule a final inspection. It appears to me that there is more work to be done by Telsa or there is a hold up with another party that they have contracted with. Your guess is as good as mine.

• Informative
Reactions: CameronB and DOCAL
As mentioned above in #53 there has to be a fire inspection done first before the city can be called for a final on the project. The fire inspection doesn't get tracked on the site and has to be arranged for by phone by Tesla so don't think we have a way of knowing if or when Tesla requested one. Either the fire department is busy or a call to them didn't get placed and it slipped. Sure would be nice to have this site up and running since it's basically done.

Last edited:
Transformer for the level 2 chargers is the size of a small bar fridge, and was placed last month.
Transformer for the site is a PG&E action item and they are backed up.
When you talk about "transformer for the site," do you think we're still waiting for PG&E to install a transformer on that concrete pad at the end of the row (nearest to Taaffe Street)?