Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sunnyvale, CA - W. McKinley Ave (LIVE 12 Mar 2018, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're close indeed. Once this site is operational, will we see any relief in Mountain View CA? {I used to live a few blocks away}

I'd like to think that Sunnyvale CA and Cupertino CA would both take charging demand away from MV.

It would also be nice to see tremendous expansion at the current MV site along with ..... another large site nearby. {yes, I've suggested many to Tesla} Both Sunnyvale and Mountain View have huge rental communities. Many, many of the people that work nearby to the MV site, rent in the bay area.

Ok,... ok.... for now..... all eyes on Sunnyvale!

Time will tell

We're close indeed. Once this site is operational, will we see any relief in Mountain View CA? {I used to live a few blocks away}

I'd like to think that Sunnyvale CA and Cupertino CA would both take charging demand away from MV.

Cupertino might; it is at least close to a major highway. If you asked me what the worst location in Sunnyvale to put a supercharger is, I'd have said Sunnyvale and El Camino. They only missed that absolute middle of nowhere by a block or two. It's nearly as far as you can get from any of the freeways or expressways, with the possible exception of Central Expressway, but that's an "expressway" in much the same way that a Yugo is an automobile. The daily parking lot at Central and Mary is rivalled only by the parking lot on southbound 85, if at all.

I would expect the Sunnyvale supercharger to get a lot of use by people who live in Sunnyvale, but not much use beyond that. After all, the Sunnyvale Target is, on a bad day, a 20-minute (6-block) drive from 101, thanks in no small part to the tragically timed traffic lights on Mathilda. I suspect most people would only do that once before saying, "Never again." But time will tell. I guess there's always 85 to El Camino.... o_O

Cupertino might; it is at least close to a major highway. If you asked me what the worst location in Sunnyvale to put a supercharger is, I'd have said Sunnyvale and El Camino. They only missed that absolute middle of nowhere by a block or two. It's nearly as far as you can get from any of the freeways or expressways, with the possible exception of Central Expressway, but that's an "expressway" in much the same way that a Yugo is an automobile. The daily parking lot at Central and Mary is rivalled only by the parking lot on southbound 85, if at all.

I would expect the Sunnyvale supercharger to get a lot of use by people who live in Sunnyvale, but not much use beyond that. After all, the Sunnyvale Target is, on a bad day, a 20-minute (6-block) drive from 101, thanks in no small part to the tragically timed traffic lights on Mathilda. I suspect most people would only do that once before saying, "Never again." But time will tell. I guess there's always 85 to El Camino.... o_O

There are alot of people driving to work in the Sunnyvale area so I suspect if they need a rapid charge they'll be happy it and Cupertino will be available. The Target location would also be great for people who need the charge and want to pick up a few things before heading home. Even with the traffic on Mathilda being heavy if Mt. View is showing packed, it is an option for people heading south in the evening from work anyway instead of having to head north to Mt. View and then back south. Really depends on where you are starting off from. For example if someone is coming over on 237 from the East Bay, Sunnyvale might make sense for them too.

Last edited:
Stopped by at lunch, and still no dice - no power - "Check charger power".

I did see a guy with a white Tesla poking around at one of the chargepoint chargers, not sure if he was a Tesla employee or not. I asked him if he knew why it was taking so long to get power, and he said he didnt know.

They were indeed open for about 24 hours. We were the first ones to charge there on February 5th about 5 minutes after the Tesla employee finished kicking them on.

Oddly enough, they shut them off for whatever reason. But I love literally across the street (see pic) and will update as soon as I know they’re active!

Attachments

• 9CA387FF-A87F-46CC-98A8-32533A9C706F.jpeg
    9CA387FF-A87F-46CC-98A8-32533A9C706F.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 3C4F741B-235F-4FE5-B5D6-83BBC3F93A3F.jpeg
    3C4F741B-235F-4FE5-B5D6-83BBC3F93A3F.jpeg
    819.5 KB · Views: 103
Stopped by at lunch, and still no dice - no power - "Check charger power".

I did see a guy with a white Tesla poking around at one of the chargepoint chargers, not sure if he was a Tesla employee or not. I asked him if he knew why it was taking so long to get power, and he said he didnt know.

Saw him on a different day. He wouldn’t give me any info and was very short with me when I asked.

I was able to pull the inspection results from Sunnyvale's website. Looks like the city failed the final inspection due to signage issues and incorrect wheel chair parking stall markings. Good grief. You think Tesla would have this process down by now. Here's the link to the report if you are interested in tracking it.

Sunnyvale Building Permit Services - View Inspection Result

Attachments

• Inspection.JPG
    Inspection.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Informative
Reactions: DOCAL
Tesla isn't the one doing the work. These are local contractors.
I didn’t say Tesla was was doing the work. It’s obvious that they are using contractors as Tesla is not in the construction business. However, they have a construction team that manages these contractors and ultimately have oversight over these projects. While I understand that each municipality has different codes for signage, it just seems like a easily avoidable mistake.

Reactions: PLUS EV
So fire got passed and the meters for the general chargers and the Tesla ones were passed but the hold up has been over the 2 handicapped spots since the beginning of February essentially?

I wonder if these handicapped spots are the last Tesla one near the garage exit and the adjacent ChargePoint one (so they would be next to each other). Hard to tell from our photos but a blue one did show a sign that mentioned van accessible (second photo here: Supercharger - Sunnyvale (Appears completed...NOT ;))

Last edited:
I was able to pull the inspection results from Sunnyvale's website. Looks like the city failed the final inspection due to signage issues and incorrect wheel chair parking stall markings. Good grief. You think Tesla would have this process down by now. Here's the link to the report if you are interested in tracking it.

Sunnyvale Building Permit Services - View Inspection Result
Most construction workers don't use wheel chairs or handicapped parking, so have no idea how such people's junk is done. To us, it's a complete mystery. The problem is that the regulations are conflicting and inprecise, so it's literally impossible to be in compliance, so they can flunk you if they just don't like you. It's a power grab by government. The real question is why they decided in that town to not like Tesla, that contractor, or that property manager.

They say "OK to energize", so obviously, they can do internal Tesla testing of the equipment and qualify it for use, without getting the signage and painting done, but now they have to go do whatever the jurisdiction told them to do regarding handicapped somethingorother.

I stopped by today. Didn't see any tags, however did notice there is a bank of transformers that are not hooked up, and the conduit to them is empty (photos below). These are 504V/480V 3-phase transformers, I presume to adjust for sag? Anyway, same number of those as there are supercharger bays, so I'm guessing these are yet to be hooked up. Not counting my chickens yet...
Transformers.jpg
nameplate.jpg