Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sunnyvale, CA - S. Bernardo Ave. (LIVE 3 Apr 2021, 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Thanks to @maeusefaenger on the Supercharge Info forum for finding a new Supercharger under construction in Sunnyvale, CA in the Safeway parking lot at 639 S Bernardo Ave.

The construction pin is linked to the thread. => : new construction: Sunnyvale, CA, USA (16 stalls)

The TMC discussion can continue here. Thanks for the find
C9AC1F21-CA8A-4775-AD3B-A33B681AAFB3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to @maeusefaenger on the Supercharge Info forum
for finding a new Supercharger under construction in Sunnyvale, CA in the Safeway parking lot at 639 S Bernardo Ave.

The construction pin is linked to the thread. => : new construction: Sunnyvale, CA, USA (16 stalls)

The TMC discussion can continue here. Thanks for the find
View attachment 610301
In general the "discuss" web link goes to the corresponding TMC thread, but this new one links to the Supercharge Info forum.

I wonder if it would be good to have both links available?

TSC CA SNV .jpg

Last edited:
That area of Sunnyvale borders Mt.View; and El Camino and the 85 entrance, just North of there, is very heavily traffick’d (goes to 85 South towards San Jose and Gilroy and goes North to 101). Should be a popular suburban location and maybe a charging point for those going to head north on 101 and not wanting to charge at the Shoreline Mt. View location. Not exactly the best for food but then again more suburban drivers than long-distance highway drivers. Interesting choice.

Any idea yet of what type of SCs these will be?

That area of Sunnyvale borders Mt.View; and El Camino and the 85 entrance, just North of there, is very heavily traffick’d (goes to 85 South towards San Jose and Gilroy and goes North to 101). Should be a popular suburban location and maybe a charging point for those going to head north on 101 and not wanting to charge at the Shoreline Mt. View location. Not exactly the best for food but then again more suburban drivers than long-distance highway drivers. Interesting choice.

Any idea yet of what type of SCs these will be?
The conduit configuration appears to be 16 V3 stalls.
I recommend Starbird Chicken just on the other side of El Camino from this site.

The discuss link on supercharge.info doesn't link to this page but rather a different forum. seems like the site is trying to move discussions away from here?

Thanks, the link target has been mentioned upthread.

supercharge.info is perfectly entitled to link from their Web site to their own forums.

But as this is the only instance I've seen of supercharge.info not making a Supercharger site's "discuss" link go to TMC (and there are some newer entries that do in fact link to TMC threads), I'm inclined to think this is more of a mistake or an experiment, rather than anything deliberate or nefarious. How about giving the supercharge.info moderators the benefit of the doubt?

@MarcoRP

Bruce.

Thanks, the link target has been mentioned upthread.

supercharge.info is perfectly entitled to link from their Web site to their own forums.

But as this is the only instance I've seen of supercharge.info not making a Supercharger site's "discuss" link go to TMC (and there are some newer entries that do in fact link to TMC threads), I'm inclined to think this is more of a mistake or an experiment, rather than anything deliberate or nefarious. How about giving the supercharge.info moderators the benefit of the doubt?

@MarcoRP

Bruce.

The reason for me doing that, though perhaps not in verbatim, is there in the first post of the thread. I’m not the one who found this Supercharger, the guy on Supercharge Info is the one who did.

When possible, we only link thread discussions to websites (excl. Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Tinder, etc.) Generally, most Supercharger finds in NA link to TMC because this is where it’s initially reported. Supercharge Info does have a forum (not very used other than by mods) and since it’s a Tesla-related website, just as TMC is, that’s where I decided to link the post.

For what it’s worth, I’m not deliberately trying to steer traffic off TMC for the fun of it, just trying to cite the original credit.

I was shopping at the Safeway this morning and found out about the new location as the parking lot is a mess right now w/ all the construction.

This plaza already has 2 free L2 spots which are nearly always full. So excited to have a supercharger coming soon (North Dakota chargers finally opened so "soon" is relative but I do see people working there whenever I'm at the Safeway so I'm encouraged).

There are tons of places to eat within walking distance. Just within the plaza itself are several options (Mexican table service/takeout, Japanese, a Bakery, Round Table Pizza, Starbucks @ Safeway) plus as another poster noted Starbird Chicken (gluten free fried chicken which is a rarity) across the street as well as an Ike's Sandwiches, NY Pizza, a fast food Mexican, a new asian takeout place plus if you walk a few minutes more, a produce store, several Indian markets, CVS and Jersey Mike's. See's Candies too.

I'm happy for the additional foot traffic the local businesses will see as a result of the supercharger. I've charged at many superchargers from here to Chicago and always appreciate variety when road tripping. I'm writing all this detail because I read these per supercharger forums when traveling to decide where to stop so I figured this may help others. Agree this has far more options than the Mountain View/Shoreline location and is easier to get to from the freeway than the Sunnyvale Target charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Janus
+1 for Starbird and A Slice of NY! Both places are tasty. Also stop by Bev-Mo (btw Pizza place and StarBird) for drinks when you get home. Great to see so many superchargers in the area!

I agree with the sentiment that this supercharger will bring more foot traffic. Without the other anchor store for years now, this place from the main road looks desolate.

We’ve eaten at A Slice of NY and it’s pretty good NY pizza. Restaurant has a subway car sit-down area although with covid assume that’s closed off.

I like Jersey Mikes quite a lot. Next to CVS across El Camino. Fresh sliced meats and cheeses on several sizes of roll. IMO better than deli at Safeway but a bit more of a walk. Hot or cold Sandwiches. Not many sandwich places will slice the meat for you and I found the quality very good.

Sees Candy...omg what’s not to like. Famous for their chocolate, pieces can be individually bought although boxed sets as well. Their coffee and chocolate suckers have fans around the country. The Morgan Hill supercharger has one across from it.

Not a fan of Arbys although I use to get their Arby beef sandwich and their Arby Q sauce years ago. Not many left in the area. Curly fries, fountain drinks and restroom. Same parking lot as SCs.

We use to eat at a sitdown Afghan restaurant, Kabuls, that was more or less next to A Slice of NY but not seeing it in Mt. View now otherwise would have recommended for take home. Too bad, they had really good shish kabob.

Last edited:
I stopped by the site for the first time today but didn't take pictures. All the conduit work is done and I think all the precast pedestal bases are set in the ground. There is still concrete work to be done to establish the cabinet foundations. There is a precast transformer base on-site but the ground is not prepared around the conduits for it to be set in place yet. Once change I note from the earlier pictures posted on Nov 22 is that they have expanded the concrete area. The earlier pictures showed forms that were barely the size of the cluster of V3 Supercharger cabinets. They have expanded the forms to what I would consider an entire equipment enclosure size.

Reactions: SMAlset
There's a Lee's Sandwiches at 939 W El Camino that I used to sometimes eat it when I was in the area. It's kinda too far to walk from this SC location but if I had Tesla and wanted to use the SCs and eat in my car, I wouldn't mind picking up a sandwich from there before charging.

Maybe another reason for this location is that there are quite a few apartment complexes not that far away. Those folks may not be able to charge at home.

+1 for A Slice of NY.

Madras Cafe, just across El Camino, is very popular for its South Indian food and this location makes it easy to pick up food from there.

I've also seen long lines, pre-covid, at Everest Momo food truck, next to Starbird.

We use to eat at a sitdown Afghan restaurant, Kabuls, that was more or less next to A Slice of NY but not seeing it in Mt. View now otherwise would have recommended for take home. Too bad, they had really good shish kabob.

Kabul was at the corner of El Camino and Pastoria/Hollenbeck so a bit of a walk from Bernardo but that plaza was raised and there is a new building going up. Kabul moved to downtown Sunnyvale on Washington Ave- a short walk from the Sunnyvale Target supercharger. Great food and works well for takeout too. Favorites are the kabobs and kadu (pumpkin).

Kabul was at the corner of El Camino and Pastoria/Hollenbeck so a bit of a walk from Bernardo but that plaza was raised and there is a new building going up. Kabul moved to downtown Sunnyvale on Washington Ave- a short walk from the Sunnyvale Target supercharger. Great food and works well for takeout too. Favorites are the kabobs and kadu (pumpkin).

I think you might be thinking of Afghan House on the corner on El Camino. The Kabul we frequented often, decades ago, was there by Bernardo in a small strip shopping center and near BevMo. The two Afghan restaurants as I recall were owned by relatives, at least when we were in the area. Haven’t tried the new Kabul location and not that way as often any more. But good to know about this location. My husband was charging at Target Sunnyvale the other day so next time we’re up that way we’ll check them out.