Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sunnyvale, CA - W. McKinley Ave (LIVE 12 Mar 2018, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fencing is all gone now. Looks like they are doing some testing. Also, I noticed 2 standard chargers at the end of the row of Superchargers.
Drove by today after lunch and can confirm all the fencing is gone. There were several electricians' trucks parked in front of Target, as well as more near the supercharger cabinets. Unbelievable how fast this one got built. There are still "only" 10 Tesla chargers, with 2 ChargePoint chargers installed today at the end of the row. Here's yet another angle:

PHOlDqo.jpg

Drove by today after lunch and can confirm all the fencing is gone. There were several electricians' trucks parked in front of Target, as well as more near the supercharger cabinets. Unbelievable how fast this one got built. There are still "only" 10 Tesla chargers, with 2 ChargePoint chargers installed today at the end of the row. Here's yet another angle:

PHOlDqo.jpg
Great angle.
I just hope these superchargers are built to last, the cables and adapter head will wear out very fast as people drop them or magnets fail.

I admit I might be a little excited about the prospect of this supercharger going online at any moment. Stopped by again tonight. :)

lyVxnz0.jpg

The site is cleaned up, but still coned off.

dSWbumQ.jpg

Shiny! Too bad about the 30 minute general parking, although I don't think too many non-Tesla cars will get to experience these stalls after the supercharger is open for business. I counted 3 other Teslas just after turning the corner from Iowa onto Mathilda.

NjY2b2i.jpg

Can't forget all the Leafs and Bolts and Volts and 500es and VW eGolfs etc etc. The miniature fire extinguisher is there just in case...

lJUAuwi.jpg

This smaller concrete pad is at the very end of the row. Another transformer goes here, perhaps?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Are you referring to the loading dock area? Really doubt there will be any Tesla trucks down the road charging here.

More like are the delivery trucks going to block access to the chargers or are Teslas maneuvering for the chargers going to block access to the loading docks? I’ve never been there but that was my first thought when I saw one of the overhead signs in an earlier picture.

Bruce.

Reactions: e-FTW
More like are the delivery trucks going to block access to the chargers or are Teslas maneuvering for the chargers going to block access to the loading docks? I’ve never been there but that was my first thought when I saw one of the overhead signs in an earlier picture.

Bruce.

If you look at the photo below there appears to be 4 docks for trucks to pull up to (with one truck pulled in it looks to me). I believe these docks are still quite a distance from the charging equipment, let alone from the SuperChargers. We'll be in the area tomorrow so might run by and take a look but I don't think it will be a problem.

Hubby in area tonight so had him check out any progress. Different perspective but don't see any noticeable changes.

View attachment 260306

(Moderator note: this post was merged with the existing thread about the Sunnyvale Supercharger)

Didn't find a thread on this site, which is very well along the way for construction.
10 stalls are complete, electrical is ready. Looks like the PG&E transformer and a pair of Tesla Powerpacks have yet to be installed. Everything else except the station numbers looks done. Should open a few days after PG&E places the transformer.

IMG_3988.JPG

Looks like the small transformer at the side of the power panel is for the 4 @ Chargepoint L2 chargers they also installed.

Conduits for Powerpacks

Attachments

• IMG_3989.JPG
    IMG_3989.JPG
    465.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3992.JPG
    IMG_3992.JPG
    501.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3996.JPG
    IMG_3996.JPG
    487.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3995.JPG
    IMG_3995.JPG
    509.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3994.JPG
    IMG_3994.JPG
    582.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3993.JPG
    IMG_3993.JPG
    496 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SMAlset
In area today and grabbed these photos. All chargers including ChargePoint were yellow taped.

Was about to take a photo of the Tesla portion when an ICE vehicle pulled into a slot followed by another a few minutes.

IMG_5405.JPG

Standing at one if the Superchargers near the garage entrance (opposite dock area) you can see Target's first floor entrance.

IMG_5409.JPG

The Tesla equipment at far end.

IMG_5406.JPG

Last edited:
Speaking of the loading dock and space down there, lots of room for truck maneuvering before reaching the EV area. Far right corner of the photo you can see the end of one of the Tesla cabinets.

IMG_5407.JPG

Here's a pano view of the area (sorry for the light pollution in the shot):

SunnyvaleSC_112617 - 1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bmah and mblakele
Today was my first time at this location; my husband took the previous photos I posted. Now that I've seen the area and given it some thought, there really is no where for EVs to wait to get a spot what with traffic going in and out of the garage directly beyond the EV stalls (see second photo in Post #34 taken from a Tesla charging stall--stall lines visible). You pretty much either get lucky and can pull into a charging spot or otherwise just park elsewhere. Kind of the way it is for destination chargers at shopping centers, but rather a waste IMO to have a Supercharger sit blocked given the cost of the equipment.

As I watched the ICE vehicles park in the EV spots today I thought it might have been better if Target could have installed all the EV charging spots on the other side of the garage wall they are on now and where the grass is presently (see photo Post #21). If they did they could have made a walkway into the garage from that area and at least there would be room for cars waiting to pull into a charging spot to wait. And less likelihood of non-EVs taking those spots. Will be interesting to see how the EV area gets used come mid-December when the power comes up.

Last edited:
Rumor has it a 40 stall site will get built within a mile from or so of this location. If I had to guess, construction might start early next year. Assuming a 40 stall site was full, the average wait time for the next space should be 1-2 minutes.

Anyone ever consider the labor cost for Tesla to hire all those attendants in Mountain View and San Carllos? The annual labor cost could probably build another site...so the motivation is high...

Rumor has it a 40 stall site will get built within a mile from or so of this location.
Moderator note: There is a separate thread for speculation about future Northern California Supercharger locations at Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation) and you are welcome to post there about the “rumor” you reference (and I’m sure people would be interested to know the source of your rumor).

This thread is specifically for discussion of the new Sunnyvale Supercharger site. Thank you. :)

@Lotsadriving , you made one of the classic blunders. Instead of "a mile from or so of this location," you have to phrase it as, "a mile from or so of this Sunnyvale Supercharger site." ;)

Interesting rumor; thanks for sharing. Even thought this Sunnyvale Supercharger site which I'm directly talking about isn't open yet, I think our experience with other sites on the peninsula suggests that it will be extremely busy. But if there's a larger site nearby, then the crush won't be nearly as bad.

I drove by this weekend and all the charging stalls were ICEd, which I suppose is to be expected until it's open.

@Lotsadriving , you made one of the classic blunders. Instead of "a mile from or so of this location," you have to phrase it as, "a mile from or so of this Sunnyvale Supercharger site." ;)

Autocorrect....update....rumored location is just under 2 mikes away.

I drove by this weekend and all the charging stalls were ICEd, which I suppose is to be expected until it's open.

Target over thanksgiving holiday weekend is going to be busy. That site has lots of parking while the overall center remains partially under construction. Stalls open up and there are tesla cars waiting to charge, ICE cars will probably look elsewhere...