Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sunnyvale, CA - W. McKinley Ave (LIVE 12 Mar 2018, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that explains it - meaning the delay in opening this site. The voltage provided by PG&E was not within the tolerances Tesla wanted, so they have to add these small transformers in front of each Supercharger cabinet to buck or boost it to the right value.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
So since the early February inspection was failed because of painting issues and it took them until March 2 to get to the next inspection, I am guessing it will be early April before the voltage issues are fixed and the next inspection can happen?

The original permit passed the final inspection and the status shows as "finaled". I'm guessing that a new permit will need to be filed to make the changes to the electrical components. If this is true, then a permit application has not been filed yet according to Sunnyvale's web site. It's probably going to take longer than a few months at this rate.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
The original permit passed the final inspection and the status shows as "finaled". I'm guessing that a new permit will need to be filed to make the changes to the electrical components. If this is true, then a permit application has not been filed yet according to Sunnyvale's web site. It's probably going to take longer than a few months at this rate.

I spoke with a Tesla employee on site. He assured me there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Probably looking more like days/weeks, but not months according to him. I try to run across the street and get updates whenever I see workers there.

They were letting cars use it as of an hour ago :)
It's not officially highlighted on the map yet, but when you select it, it'll give you the details!
upload_2018-3-13_17-34-31.png

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset and Ulmo
Woah we're hitting the jackpot today with this opening for charge finally and the San Felipe (Rte 152 Casa de Fruita) location also coming on line. BTW that one is now called Hollister on the Tesla site.

Sunnyvale is exciting and I think really needed in the area if you live or travel south of Mt. View and don't need to go north for anything. Hopefully take some of the pressure off of that overcrowded location.

Reactions: bmah
Interesting that it's named with "W. McKinley Ave"... is there another site in Sunnyvale that no-one has found yet? :)

Since the Superchargers are kind off the main highways in the area and inside a parking garage, I assume it was to make it clear which street entrance to enter from. IMO better coming in off McKinley than from Mathilda where you'd have to go into the shopping area, into Target's garage and try to find your way to the charging area on the lower level, which I'm pretty sure isn't visible when you enter the garage anyway. Coming in from McKinley it's right there as you enter the Target Garage.

This was from a few months ago (while we were all waiting impatiently for it to come on-line!) but for those out of the area, here's a video of driving to it from the local streets.

The video is a nice tour of the shopping area around Target (and always nice to see what the area looks like you are driving to), but I think it makes it seem more difficult to get to than need be. Hopefully Tesla navigation takes a more direct route.

This is really great news! I just looked at the status and there are already 6 people charging there. The Cupertino Supercharger should be opening soon too (already under construction). Between Mountain View, Sunnyvale, and Cupertino I hope that the congestion will be a bit less. I charge at home 99% of the time but there are times when I get back from a long trip and it would be nice to get a quick charge without having to wait half an hour or more to start charging. As more stations come online, I'm worried that more people will start charging at the Superchargers instead of at home. If people treat these stations as destination chargers like they are intended for, congestion could be kept a minimum and quick 20 minute charges to get to your next destination would be a reality. Obviously there are people who don't have the ability to charge at home so access to Superchargers are a must. All the more reason for everyone to do their part to keep congestion down to a minimum. I'll step down from my soap box now.