Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sunnyvale, CA - W. McKinley Ave (LIVE 12 Mar 2018, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
bmah Came over to Sunnyvale to check it out...

How does Mountain View look as you charge at Sunnyvale?

It’s like an hour later but basically...full. Same for Fremont and the two San Mateos. Dublin shows 2 free but I’m guessing it’s basically full too. At least on this Saturday afternoon Sunnyvale hasn’t had much effect on occupancy at the surrounding Superchargers, but then we don’t know about limes and waiting times.

Bruce.

Charged here yesterday (Sunday) and was able to get some great speeds even with two of the units down. (Guess they’re already fixed today).

Attachments

• 0E1E5691-6893-4BDB-8F71-BE16EEA9B834.jpeg
    0E1E5691-6893-4BDB-8F71-BE16EEA9B834.jpeg
    612 KB · Views: 97
I stopped here this morning. Nice spot. It was 5/10 occupied when I got it, so I took a paired stall and started seeing charge ramp up about 10 minutes later. I was surprised it wasn't fully subscribed with a line out of the door like the Mtn View or first San Mateo SC. Maybe it's just because it's new.

I also drove past Valley Fair, which was advertizing '44 new EV charging spots'. Didn't wander in there to see how busy it was, but it sounded like an impressive number.

Is it me, or is this thing a lot faster than Mountain View? I was getting something like 320 miles per hour at its peak, and the fastest I've ever seen at Mountain View is only about 200-ish (hence the reason it typically takes me an hour and ten minutes to charge over there, not counting the thirty-minute wait for a spot).

Is it me, or is this thing a lot faster than Mountain View? I was getting something like 320 miles per hour at its peak, and the fastest I've ever seen at Mountain View is only about 200-ish (hence the reason it typically takes me an hour and ten minutes to charge over there, not counting the thirty-minute wait for a spot).

You can't measure peak by MPH, since the MPH is an average of the charge over the session to that point. If you want to see the peak you have to switch your setting so that you are viewing kW instead of MPH.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
Had to make a quick Target run yesterday around noon. When I arrived, I wasn't initially planning to use the chargers (not wanting to be "one of those locals!") but there were 3 stalls free and the rest of the parking lot was full, so figured I'd grab a few electrons in the 15 minutes or so I planned to be there.

As soon as I'd plugged in, a new Model S owner came up and asked whether it was OK to leave his car charging and go inside (answer: of course, just be sure to come back before the charge session finishes so you can free up the stall for others, and avoid idle fees.) Then he asked for my thoughts on NEMA 14-50 vs. HPWC installation. We ended up talking about supercharger locations, trips, range anxiety, how to use the fob to open the frunk, and more. Then someone else came up and asked how to unplug his Model S from the supercharger (for some reason, the handle button wasn't releasing the lock, but pressing the "Unlock Charge Port" button did the trick.)

Half an hour later, I still hadn't gone inside. So I ended up moving my car to a regular parking spot after all. :)

I had the misfortune of stopping by here to charge on a Friday evening with toddler in tow, prior to a 150+ mile drive . The line to charge was 3 deep, and the wait was 25 minutes. Thankfully, the kid was peacefully out asleep. However, the line of cars sits out of the exit, and the sight has served as a source of amusement to ICE shoppers and pedestrians in the area. Next time I'll carry a paper bag to wear over my head. Or maybe I'll shamelessly give out a 'V' sign when someone laughs at the line and takes pics. The charge rate was really good though - I got 70kW+ at the outset in a paired stall.

You can't measure peak by MPH, since the MPH is an average of the charge over the session to that point. If you want to see the peak you have to switch your setting so that you are viewing kW instead of MPH.

Experimentally, Mountain View maxes out at 105 kW (195mi/hr) when you’re the only car on a pair. Sunnyvale maxes out at a much higher rate (IIRC,135kW, but don’t quote me on that).