Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sunnyvale, CA - W. McKinley Ave (LIVE 12 Mar 2018, 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the same number as is on your car's Vehicle Info screen (T) for Tesla Roadside Assistance. It took a while when we called to get anyone. And no you go through menus. Think we went to the menu that mentioned Supercharging and then waited for an operator.

We've called Roadside Assistance a few times over the past year - 3 or 4 times to report really, really slow or non-working chargers. Gilroy has had problems on occasion. Also a problem charging in Atascadero. How soon our calls have been answered in person has varied depending on volume and staffing I guess. Some occasions right away. However today not the case.

We were finished charging and ready to leave so ended up letting them call us back while maintaining place in phone cue. Got a call back before we got home. While we were charging though maybe 5 cars pulled in 1B since it was the only stall open only then having to leave it.

Be prepared to tell them the number of the problem charger stall (newbies that's 1A, 1B etc). Since we called from the car there they could tell where we were already but confirmed the location. Nice operator and thanked us for letting them know. It's a busy location on the weekend especially so hopefully fixed soon.

• Informative
Reactions: suraj1194
Thanks, super helpful post! I can imagine it gets super messy at Sunnyvale when cars keep pulling up into a dud stall within those crowded confines, only to have to back out and get back in line, presumably pushing everyone back. Can be particularly problematic if another stall opens up and the first guy picks the dud stall, and has to get back in line while the guy behind him got a good one.

Reactions: SMAlset
Thanks, super helpful post! I can imagine it gets super messy at Sunnyvale when cars keep pulling up into a dud stall within those crowded confines, only to have to back out and get back in line, presumably pushing everyone back. Can be particularly problematic if another stall opens up and the first guy picks the dud stall, and has to get back in line while the guy behind him got a good one.

Sunnyvale actually isn't as bad as I think Cupertino's Supercharger parking structure is for manuevering your car to back into the spots--that location looks like tighter stall spaces and crowded drive lanes there and with other cars parked directly opposite the charging ones. At least at Sunnyvale you have wide stall spacing for cars and there's a good two lane garage "road" in front of you, no cars directly across but a wall instead. Some cars can even pull into the other parking lanes' traffic roadway area and then back in pretty easily from more of a distance. I prefer pulling into the charging area by coming in from the W. Iowa Avenue side. Less mall/Target traffic to contend with.

When we sat there waiting to finish charging, did notice two cars lined up at the wall over near the loading dock area, so they were more out of traffic's way. Don't see that luxury at Cupertino from the photos people have posted. For those reasons prefer Sunnyvale over Cupertino plus you can easily run into Target if they're open and Starbucks is right at the top of the escalator/stairs so easy to grab a drink in your charging timeframe.

Last edited:
I charged here yesterday at really slow speed, 6hrs to charge 100 miles. Thankfully I just stopped by target to buy something and left after 20 mins. Never happened to me before. Was that stall just not working properly?

Yes, has an issue. Always note the stall number and call in to Tesla Roadside Assistance. BTW was it the second stall from the left side looking at the cars charging? If so that was 1B that we called in this past Sunday.

Was here tonight at 6:30 PM, and got an answer to my question, "where does the line form?" There were 4 cars in line, with room for at least 2 or 3 more before spilling out the back entrance.

BHeuFQw.jpg

There today in the afternoon. A few spaces opened after we finished shopping at Target. Took the first spot by the cabinets. SoC was 77mi. Plugged in and got the fastest charge we’ve ever seen. Actually saw it reach 590mi/hr. I am on 2019.20.2.1 which I understand gives a speed boost to Model 3s at v2 superchargers (Tesla Model 3 Charges Up To 20-25% Quicker At V2 Superchargers - Tesla Motors Club). If I'm not mistaken to reach 80% charge (auto set by location as high use), it estimated 25 min.

chargeSunnyvale - 1.jpg

So I heard the Sunnyvale Target is suddenly closed for the rest of this year, apparently the fireproofing was incorrectly done and needs to be reworked. Anyone know if the Supercharger is still open and accessible, given it's within the parking structure of this Target?
After seeing the story in the local news, I was wondering that myself. Will stop by it in the next few days and look.

Guess I should be more vigalent checking local threads of SCs we might use. Husband is there now SC but was going to have him stop in and pick up a few things from Target. Had no idea Target was closed for repair work. It’s 5pm and 6 of 10 stalls are open. So maybe their closure has shifted how busy the charging is. Shoppers for Target needing charging likely doing both at the Cupertino location.

Reactions: FlatSix911