TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger - Superior, MT

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Cottonwood, Nov 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

2. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

Excellent!

3. Benz

Benz Active Member

Very good, keep them coming.

4. Vger

Vger Active Member

Wonderful! Now, in decent weather, one could even make it without the eternally "coming soon" supercharger in CDL. It is 199 miles from Ritzville. If one needed a pit stop, the two HPWC's at the SpringHill Suites in CDL can serve until the SC appears.

5. glenhurst

glenhurst Member

Not that more SCs, no matter where they are, isn't a good thing, but considering there is a SC only about 60 miles away in Missoula, why is a SC going in Superior?

6. Pricee2

Pricee2 Member

Superior is intended to get you form Coeur d'Alene to Missoula in the winter. At 5 deg F and 6oo lb payload EV Trip Planer says it takes 240RM with no snow or headwind.

That is considerably farther than I would attempt in my P85.

7. freds

freds Member

That's weird I just ran the same calculation and came up 300RM...

8. ChrisPDX

ChrisPDX Member

There are also those of us with a MS60 that would not be able to easily make it between CDL and Missoula even in nice weather! My brother-in-law lives near Great Falls, MT, so we are really looking forward to driving to his place next summer in our MS60. Superior will most definitely be a pit stop on the drive there!

9. Cottonwood

On top of that, as close as it is, I have heard hints that St Regis may still be on a Tesla list... :confused:

10. Pricee2

Pricee2 Member

#10 Pricee2, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    What speed factor did you use? I used 1.0 and a cabin temperature of 70.

Just re-ran it and it came up with 252RM.

Maybe I used MS 60 before.

11. Pricee2

Pricee2 Member

Superior should be nearing completion by now. It appeared to be pretty far along in the photos two weeks ago.

12. GRA

GRA Member

What, the great brains at Tesla in charge of SC siting finally looked at a printed map instead of relying on Google? You have to zoom in fairly close to see 135 on Google maps, whereas it's obvious on a printed one (which is why I use print maps for all my SC site musings). In any case, whether due to this or those of us who emailed them explaining why Superior instead of St. Regis was so dumb, if the light bulb has finally gone off for them, hallelujah! Pity about the wasted time and money, though.

13. Pricee2

Pricee2 Member

I hope that Superior does not end up being as hopeless as Hope.:rolleyes:

14. Pricee2

Pricee2 Member

Todays post by DrGuest on the Butte SC thread indicates they are waiting for the utility transformer to complete the installation there.

May also be the holdup here. Seems to be a frequent stumbling block to SC completions.

15. AndyM

AndyM Member

I checked the permit site today, and I see that it received final inspection on Nov 24. Or am i reading that wrong?

16. Pricee2

Pricee2 Member

Appears to me to be done. Butte went live on 12/04 maybe Superior will be turned on today 12/05.

17. fawu

fawu Member

Superior shows as open now on the navigation map. Not yet on teslamotors.com though.

18. Cottonwood

Very nice article. Interesting quote about why Superior and not St Regis:
    Bullock said, originally, the station was to be built at the Travel Center in St. Regis. He said utility infrastructure buried underground prevented them from building at the St. Regis site so it was decided to move the supercharging facility to Superior.

This completes a long island of Superchargers across Montana. That makes 6 Superchargers across Montana! Crossing the Idaho Strait is pretty doable with an HPWC top up in Coeur d'Alene*, but there is a challenging distance of open water from Billings to Rapid City. I hope that Tesla is working to quickly complete Sheridan, Gillette, and Coeur d'Alene to convert the Montana Island to the Montana Causeway!

*Quicker for those intelligent Tesla road trippers that purchased dual chargers.

19. DrGuest

DrGuest Member

I did just call the S and S Grocery in Superior, MT (406) 822-4837 and the store clerk told me Tesla was there yesterday 12/4/2014 and she was told "they did their final testing".
    Still not showing on my Model S Navigation SuperCharger list or the Teslamotors.com/findus map, yet. Maybe later today.