Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Superior, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last time I passed through Montana, DrGuest's house was the nicest stop! (BTW, congrats on the new 90D).

Of course, back then the whole state only had one Supercharger. My wife has been through since but I have not. Looking forward to getting on the road again some time soon.

Reactions: DrGuest
I charged at all the Montana SCs this week.
The store cashier at the Superior SC was very nice and friendly.
There was a big rig in front of the SC stalls with only one stall accessible.
When I drove up, I was worried that if I plugged in the one accessible stall, I would end up blocking his exit so I walked up and talked to the driver in the cab. He waved me in and later walked over for a friendly chat.
There were a lot of cigarette butts on the ground around the charging stalls. I hope those are not from the Tesla drivers but from employees and other visitors to the store/gas-station.

The Superior SC has significant construction around it. Trenching may make it difficult or impossible to access for a few days. Stopped by this afternoon with another traveling back from Custer and they were just cutting and removing the asphalt in front of all spots. No idea how long it will take. We just got out in time.

The Superior SC has significant construction around it. Trenching may make it difficult or impossible to access for a few days. Stopped by this afternoon with another traveling back from Custer and they were just cutting and removing the asphalt in front of all spots. No idea how long it will take. We just got out in time.
Thanks! Was heading there tomorrow! Now I'm able to charge higher in Missoula tonight to be able to skip Superior. We'll still go by and check the status...

Keep us updated; I'll need it in a few weeks, and since I'll be pulling a trailer there is no "skipping" allowed.
Access to the Superior SC is fine. There is a trench that is not passable from the right side of the store near the gas pumps, but there is a small access road to the left of the store that is fine.

Towing a trailer, you'd want to enter from that side anyway. Also looks like minor work and is just waiting for the concrete to be patched.

Took pics but service too slow right now to load them...

IMG_20170523_093014657_HDR.jpg
Here is a view of the left-hand entrance road. No construction here except that as we were leaving the asphalt company was in this area unloading equipment to patch the concrete. I'm guessing it is done by now, but we didn't stick around.
IMG_20170523_092913326_HDR.jpg

Here's a shot of the trench with the gas pumps in the background.

Towing a trailer, you'd want to enter from that side anyway
One can always unhitch first if necessary. But in this case, if you are towing and the 3 easterly stalls are open, I think you could go around the gas station building and park so that you could charge from the eastern-most stall without unhitching. @ohmman can let us know if that works next month. :cool:

I used this SC twice in August 2015. The second time, I arrived to discover that none of the stalls had any power. Then I noticed that the gas station and pumps had no power either! Turns out the entire town (it is a pretty small town) had lost power a few minutes before. Fortunately power was restored in about 15 minutes.

Dr Guest- Was that you entering the Superior SC and flashing your lheadlights at about 4 PM Memorial Day? Our adventure to Whitefish, Glacier National Park, the Bison Preserve, etc was awesome. Interesting that Flathead Lake is still too low to dock boats. Also interesting how many "Tesla Moments" we experienced. It appears Tesla sightings are rare in this beautiful part of Montana.

Was anyone able to drive from Superior Spc to Fort MacLeod thru Glacier National Park, AB Spc with S85D? Where did you stay near the National park? I found out few RV parks online but not sure whichone should I stay. Thanks
The Red Lion in Kalispell has a HPWC that I used last summer. I did stay at the hotel, but I'm guessing they would let you use it even if you weren't a guest (would be polite to offer to pay). Even if they don't allow non-guests to use it, it's out in their parking lot with a long cord, so you could just plug in anyway. There's a Starbucks in the same parking lot so that's a decent place to hang out for a couple hours. Definitely check plugshare and/or call to check on current status, but IIRC, it was fairly high amperage as well so the top off was relatively quick.

I called in advance to let them know I was going to use it and they put a cone in the spot to reserve it for me. But I think there were multiple chargers and the cords were very long so unless you are coming in late at night, you would probably be able to park close enough to plug in. In an emergency, you could just block another car in and stay in your car while you charge (in case you need to move to let someone out).

They all probably just returned from a Trump rally. :eek:
Seriously? Why would you feel it necessary, or even useful,l to inject politics into this thread? Also reveals your knee-jerk assumption that Trump fans (presumably also including the one I know who owns a Roadster, a Sig S and a Sig X) are necessarily opponents of BEVs.

Seriously? Why would you feel it necessary, or even useful,l to inject politics into this thread? Also reveals your knee-jerk assumption that Trump fans (presumably also including the one I know who owns a Roadster, a Sig S and a Sig X) are necessarily opponents of BEVs.

Is that a serious question at this point?

Jeff

Could be any Republican rally
Same as with @HookBill, I suggest that you might leave political cheap shots out of this forum.

My decision to install solar panels and to stop polluting the air by burning fossil fuel to get around, and supporting the carbon tax effort, had nothing to do with politics. None of the people I know who drive a BEV or who installed solar panels vote Democrat (not that that matters anymore in CA) and none of my many liberal friends has either solar panels nor an electric car - the closest being a Prius driver. Should I then conclude, and declare on this forum, that Democrats are in favor of air pollution?

Reactions: jrad6515