Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Surrey, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aw sweet!

So I have a question for those who have charged at these newer semi-super chargers. After the initial large current with the 120kw supercharger, once it ramps down after a car is 40% SOC or so, it drops down to say 70 kw charging. If you then hooked up to one of these new 72kw chargers would it charge at 70kw? or would it be a lot less?

In other words does the 72 kw mama charger charge at a lower rate thoughout the whole charge? or just at the beginning compared to the 120 kw papa charger?

I was told by r/stringentthot that he was around 85% and getting 23kW.

I think Tesla could've installed their nice 120kW Superchargers here, just due to the high volume of Tesla's in the area and the traffic of Teslas from Seattle to Vancouver and visa versa.

yayyy~~ finally, I'll be able to hit Whistler with single charge!

I think Tesla could've installed their nice 120kW Superchargers here, just due to the high volume of Tesla's in the area and the traffic of Teslas from Seattle to Vancouver and visa versa.

I'm not sure about Tesla's policy or recommendations, but I'm under the impression they're avoiding to build non-urban charger in metropolitan area. (with few exceptions)

Courtesy of r/stringentthot he went out tonight and checked if the station was up. And boy did he strike gold. Here is a photo from his nav with his Model 3 charging at this secret Surrey, BC location.
hZYY5Ge.jpg

Aw sweet! He found the switch!!

So I have a question for those who have charged at these newer semi-super chargers. After the initial large current with the 120kw supercharger, once it ramps down after a car is 40% SOC or so, it drops down to say 70 kw charging. If you then hooked up to one of these new 72kw chargers would it charge at 70kw? or would it be a lot less?

In other words does the 72 kw mama charger charge at a lower rate thoughout the whole charge? or just at the beginning compared to the 120 kw papa charger?

In my experience at other urban-style superchargers, my car charges at a constant 72 kW until the point where it would normally taper to below that rate, then gradually tapers the same as any other Supercharger below 72 kW.

Took a spin to try V9 and visit these chargers. Reminds me of the first time we tried the chargers in Lynnwood, WA, the rest of the family complained how slow urban chargers are. I guess this is just a first world problem....
Did you check out the new Atari mode? Just don’t play while driving!

In my experience at other urban-style superchargers, my car charges at a constant 72 kW until the point where it would normally taper to below that rate, then gradually tapers the same as any other Supercharger below 72 kW.
He's only added 1km in that pic so the supercharger likely isn't even up to speed yet. Generally I would expect it to taper some at his charge level (which is roughly 87%), but not to that extent. I'd expect something in the 35-60kW range.

I was told by r/stringentthot that he was around 85% and getting 23kW.

I think wherever they install the White Rock SC, that would definitely be the full size 120kW chargers.
Probably along the Hwy 99 (WA-US I5 North converts to BC-CA Hwy 99) going to Vancouver, in the South East Surrey versus people going to North East Surrey to Guildford Towne Centre.
The "pink palace" Pacific Inn would have been a great spot if they were smart and approached Tesla
1) they wanted the Telsa-owning demographic to heavily patronise their location
2) they add 24/7 coffee/restrooms/amenities
Visitors to the Lower Mainland from the US (and White Rock/South Surrey) can get a quick top-up and easily go all the way to Whistler BC with no worries about traffic jams/accidents sucking up all their juice.
In Merrit and Kelowna at least, the SC are in Best Western Plus parking lots.
Awesome road trip to Predator Ridge (Destination Charger there).

BTW, last summer I was dropping off someone at Bellingham Airport and was factoring going further to the Burlington SC since I had about about 120km range left.
Sat in the border lineup for almost an hour!!!
No AC, windows open, radio playing.
Dropped off the passenger and made it back home without going to Burlington!
So traffic jams used up only about 1km per 15 minutes.
If there was an SC on Hwy 99 Pacific Inn.... 15 min would have nearly topped me (and every person going to the US/WR/SS) up!!!

I think wherever they install the White Rock SC, that would definitely be the full size 120kW chargers.
Probably along the Hwy 99 (WA-US I5 North converts to BC-CA Hwy 99) going to Vancouver, in the South East Surrey versus people going to North East Surrey to Guildford Towne Centre.
The "pink palace" Pacific Inn would have been a great spot if they were smart and approached Tesla
1) they wanted the Telsa-owning demographic to heavily patronise their location
2) they add 24/7 coffee/restrooms/amenities
Visitors to the Lower Mainland from the US (and White Rock/South Surrey) can get a quick top-up and easily go all the way to Whistler BC with no worries about traffic jams/accidents sucking up all their juice.
In Merrit and Kelowna at least, the SC are in Best Western Plus parking lots.
Awesome road trip to Predator Ridge (Destination Charger there).

BTW, last summer I was dropping off someone at Bellingham Airport and was factoring going further to the Burlington SC since I had about about 120km range left.
Sat in the border lineup for almost an hour!!!
No AC, windows open, radio playing.
Dropped off the passenger and made it back home without going to Burlington!
So traffic jams used up only about 1km per 15 minutes.
If there was an SC on Hwy 99 Pacific Inn.... 15 min would have nearly topped me (and every person going to the US/WR/SS) up!!!

I am hoping when Tesla will install the White Rock / SC chargers, Tesla will install the chargers by either Semiahmoo Mall or by Grandview Corners. Hotel chargers are very lovely as well ie: what you said work. Hopefully, Tesla will install the 120kW chargers, or the V3 ''chargers coming in late 2019 -Elon.''

Both sites are close to Hwy 99 and could be a vital midpoint between Vancouver and Seattle. Hopefully, Tesla will install the 120kW chargers. I think the Vancouver charger they built in August this year is not the best designed... so... that will put more traffic on surrounding chargers. Oh well, we can only wait and see :)