Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Surrey, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like you know "local hack" on how to hit Whistler efficiently. Which route do you usually take?
(I used to take BC-15 > TC-1 > BC-99 which hits Surrey SC. I avoid Lions Gate Bridge due to heavy traffic)
I don't regularly go up there (not much of a skier), but I would just plug it into Google Maps and go. I use the in-car Nav as well of course, but I find it unreliable so I use Google for any trip longer than a trivial distance. Every time I map it out, it never goes through Surrey. As for charging, I would just stop in Squamish and Burlington as necessary as they are right on the primary route.

Every time I map it out, it never goes through Surrey

It kind of has to since the border crossing is in south Surrey (not far from me), then you have to drive through Surrey one way or another to get to Whistler. The 99 through the tunnel, Oak St. Bridge, downtown, Lions Gate Bridge -- is most direct, and thus forget Guildford Mall superchargers if you go that route. But that can be brutal traffic wise depending on the time of day. So if you take the less direct but more flowing 152nd to #1 Hwy, then Second Narrows bridge, you avoid the downtown bridges, and then it's not too far out of the way -- only a few blocks off 152nd Street. Plus, there's a lot more to do than Burlington while waiting.

It kind of has to since the border crossing is in south Surrey (not far from me), then you have to drive through Surrey one way or another to get to Whistler. The 99 through the tunnel, Oak St. Bridge, downtown, Lions Gate Bridge -- is most direct, and thus forget Guildford Mall superchargers if you go that route. But that can be brutal traffic wise depending on the time of day. So if you take the less direct but more flowing 152nd to #1 Hwy, then Second Narrows bridge, you avoid the downtown bridges, and then it's not too far out of the way -- only a few blocks off 152nd Street. Plus, there's a lot more to do than Burlington while waiting.
Sorry, I didn't mean Surrey city limits, I just meant that the route I would take doesn't go right by the Surrey supercharger, whereas it does go right by the superchargers in Burlington and Squamish. I guess the main issue is that the Burlington and Squamish superchargers are right off the highway while the Surrey supercharger is a slight diversion. The bigger issue is that the urban superchargers in Surrey charge at a slower rate.

Mapping it out now (late at night), it's 5 minutes slower to stop at the Surrey supercharger. Last time I mapped it out (afternoon I think), it was more like 20 minutes slower. So it's close enough that it probably just depends on current traffic. And if the difference is only a few minutes and you like the amenities at the Surrey location, then by all means knock yourself out and charge there. Personally, I think the amenities are fine at Burlington and Squamish. They both have Starbucks nearby which is a nice place to hang out for a while if you aren't too hungry. If you are hungry they have Bob's Burgers and Boston Pizza respectively (plus a lot more at Squamish).

BTW, the current fastest route according to Google is via 99, 91, 91A, some surface streets through Burnaby and then over the Second Narrows Bridge to North Van.

Taking your route via 152nd is 7 minutes slower, so that isn't even the fastest route to the Surrey supercharger after midnight (without traffic) so I would assume it's even worse with traffic. Again this is coming from Seattle using the usual Peace Arch border crossing. Obviously there are some times when another border crossing is faster, and that will complicate the situation even further.

Taking your route via 152nd is 7 minutes slower, so that isn't even the fastest route to the Surrey supercharger after midnight (without traffic) so I would assume it's even worse with traffic.

There's no faster route to the Surrey supercharger than 152nd Street from the border regardless of traffic.

Burlington probably has the least things to do of any superchargers I've visited just to warn people. As to the slower charge, very little time would likely be spent above 72 kW unless you arrived with a very low battery which seems to be unlikely. I tend to gravitate to superchargers where there's stuff to do when I'm with my wife and kids and they never want to stop at Burlington.

Obviously there are some times when another border crossing is faster, and that will complicate the situation even further

Isn't the truck crossing usually faster? I have Nexus so it doesn't make much difference to me but before I had it I always took the truck crossing since most people take Peace Arch and don't even know about the truck crossing. Plus, heading south, if there were lineups, we could take 0 Avenue and turn left and make it right to the front of the line. This is a secret shortcut only us locals know about but we no longer need with Nexus.

Last edited:
The bigger issue is that the urban superchargers in Surrey charge at a slower rate.

For someone who's taking trip starting from Seattle, charging speed of Surrey is faster than Burlington. it only needs 22kWh from Seattle to Burlington. So charging speed is under 70kW due to full battery.

Isn't the truck crossing usually faster

I don't have Nexus, so I always pay attention to border wait times (which is bookmarked in my Tesla web browser). Most of times they're almost the same. So downtown traffic is more significant factor when I choose Truck route vs. Peach Arch. (Truck route is generally faster)

There's no faster route to the Surrey supercharger than 152nd Street from the border regardless of traffic.
This isn't true. I mapped it out last night and that route was slower than the route I mentioned in a previous post. I mapped it out just now and your route is the fastest with current traffic.

Isn't the truck crossing usually faster? I have Nexus so it doesn't make much difference to me but before I had it I always took the truck crossing since most people take Peace Arch and don't even know about the truck crossing. Plus, heading south, if there were lineups, we could take 0 Avenue and turn left and make it right to the front of the line. This is a secret shortcut only us locals know about but we no longer need with Nexus.
I don't cross the border frequently, but when I have the truck crossing has almost never been faster. Obviously this is another thing that depends on traffic. If you are travelling at peak times on a holiday weekend, alternate border crossings are probably going to be faster. For obvious reasons, I rarely travel at peak times.

It should also be noted that if you do take the truck crossing and wish to use the Surrey supercharger, you should just stay on Highway 15 until it meets Highway 1. Going from the truck crossing to 152nd would be idiotic.

Lastly, I see that you really don't like the Burlington supercharger. That's fine, but may not be the case for everyone else.

For someone who's taking trip starting from Seattle, charging speed of Surrey is faster than Burlington. it only needs 22kWh from Seattle to Burlington. So charging speed is under 70kW due to full battery.
To be clear, I wasn't recommending stopping at Burlington on the way up. I'd be more likely to stop on there on the way back. But honestly with a S100D, I would probably just drive to Whistler in one shot. Or if I felt I needed a break, I would stop for a bit at Squamish. Even a smaller battery Tesla should be able to make the Seattle to Squamish leg easily which is why I found the use of Surrey for this trip to be strange in the first place. I guess if it's cold and you drive fast, you might have trouble making Squamish in a 75, but still for me personally, I would just stop for a 5-10 minute top off at Burlington rather than going to Surrey. But this is a personal preference and as this debate shows it's basically 6 one way, half a dozen the other, so whatever.

But honestly with a S100D, I would probably just drive to Whistler in one shot. Or if I felt I needed a break, I would stop for a bit at Squamish

Right, I would do that if I can do with my X 75D in winter. Unfortunately, to make it possible(hitting Squamish without charge), I might need to drive slower than traffic with chilly cabin temp. (hills and HVAC decreases efficiency worse than expected)

I would not say hitting one is worse than another, rather say either is good. (like you said, personal preference)

Reactions: PLUS EV
First time at surrey sc; getting busy; it is almost possible for me to get my first idle fee; how exciting! First time at urban supercharger too, we’ll see how she runs on some lower octane electrons...
33E30A90-5EAB-45F4-97B5-26316F6FB1F8.jpeg

Reactions: PStewart
Congrats! New car I assume?

Yes , just got a Red Model 3 , a few days before Christmas. !

Just using 120 plug so far at home, till I have the 240 installed into my garage in the next month or so.
Have tried a few of the free level 2 chargers , but most of my charging has been from 120 plug at home, and am shocked that it works real well. If I plug in at home every day , I have a full charge the next day.

The only time I had to use supercharger was when I could not plug in for a few days as wife was working 12 hour night/afternoon shifts and I would take it to work in the daytime.

Still will be nice to get 240 at home, before Valentine's day hopefully.

Congrats. I don't suppose you named her Hellion?

HAHA , had not thought of that , wonder if my wife will notice if I change the name now...LOL

I am taking my young twins to their first concert at the end of the month, and it is the first band I saw as well , so is a nice continuity (KISS)

They always ask me if they can go to concerts with me, so it worked out great that their 8th birthday is the same week as the KISS concert.

They love our new Tesla and we all agree that the Whoopee Cushion app alone, is worth the cost of the car.