Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Susanville, CA (LIVE 29 Sep 2021, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sometimes wish Tesla would add a few destination chargers at the Supercharger locations. On my 45 state trip, there were a few places where I had to choose whether to charge or eat. I've never had an experience where I could do both at a Supercharger without angst. Don't get me wrong - I do appreciate the Superchargers, but would be nice to have the option (and free up a Supercharger for others). I often wound up charging too high because I wasn't at the car. (I like to keep the charge low-ish so that when I arrive at a Supercharger I get a quicker rate of charging).
As far as Susanville - hoping it's up by fall - want to repeat a scenic tour of the area that I did 30 years ago.

I sometimes wish Tesla would add a few destination chargers at the Supercharger locations. On my 45 state trip, there were a few places where I had to choose whether to charge or eat. I've never had an experience where I could do both at a Supercharger without angst. Don't get me wrong - I do appreciate the Superchargers, but would be nice to have the option (and free up a Supercharger for others). I often wound up charging too high because I wasn't at the car. (I like to keep the charge low-ish so that when I arrive at a Supercharger I get a quicker rate of charging).
As far as Susanville - hoping it's up by fall - want to repeat a scenic tour of the area that I did 30 years ago.

By all means stop for a brew at the Likely Saloon in beautiful downtown Likely, just 12 miles south of Alturas. The last time I was there in 2018, it was closed for remodeling (!), but the owner invited me in for a quick look around, conversation, and a cold one pulled from an ice chest.

Point being = quicker charge to where I am going (short distance - doesn't require much charge). But I found out if at a higher level, charging to that same desired point took longer. Go figure! Maybe a model 3 thing? Wife's model S is hopelessly slower.
Oh I get your point. But wanting to slow charge at stop 1 so you can charge faster at stop 2 doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's not as if charging from 10% to 80% takes less time than charging 30% to 80% or whatever.

Oh I get your point. But wanting to slow charge at stop 1 so you can charge faster at stop 2 doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's not as if charging from 10% to 80% takes less time than charging 30% to 80% or whatever.
True, and I yield to your experience. But on my 11,000 mile trip just now, I noticed quite often that the charge rate appeared to be much higher when starting at lower level. So, the goal when charging was to cut off after reaching a level (plus a buffer) that would get me to the next charge location. If I slipped up (or got distracted) and let it continue to charge, when I got to the next stop with a higher level of battery, the charge would take longer. Sense would think, yes, but I don't have to charge as much. But, it did take longer than expected based on comparisons with the charge records I kept.
Now, If I had always charged to full (crazy), it probably would be a different outcome.

True, and I yield to your experience. But on my 11,000 mile trip just now, I noticed quite often that the charge rate appeared to be much higher when starting at lower level. So, the goal when charging was to cut off after reaching a level (plus a buffer) that would get me to the next charge location. If I slipped up (or got distracted) and let it continue to charge, when I got to the next stop with a higher level of battery, the charge would take longer. Sense would think, yes, but I don't have to charge as much. But, it did take longer than expected based on comparisons with the charge records I kept.
Now, If I had always charged to full (crazy), it probably would be a different outcome.
Yes, bringing forward charging from B to A moves the charge from the low end to the high end, so it's slower.
E.g. if leaving A with 60% would mean you arrive at B with 10%, but you leave with 70% and arrive with 20%, then you have charged 60% to 70% at A instead of 10% to 20% at B.

From that standpoint you've lost time.
However, if you were distracted, it implies you weren't waiting for the car, so you could argue you didn't lose time, you'll just arrive a bit later.
If you care enough, and know the charging curve, set a timer.

Reactions: smartypnz
Just made it towing slow to our campsite in Likely, CA without the Susanville stop. Fortunately, smoke from the Beckwourth complex didn't come our way. 🔥🌲 Hwy 395 was closed off-and-on a few days later - but opened in time for us to return. We now have an idea of our max towing range - but it will be less stressful with an easy top-off whenever the Susanville stop opens..

another month goes by, no Susanville Supercharger.

wow. this one is very hard to be this patient with. Anyone have contacts in Susanville to get this moving?

Or is it just Tesla running thin on people to activate/test? might have to look into that job myself...