Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sutherlin, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's find us website has updated this evening with a previously unknown location: Sutherlin, OR - target Q4 2022. Any leads on this one?

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 5.33.02 PM.png

Permits are usually applied for 9-12 months before the target opening so maybe March/April someone will uncover something somewhere. You can also try emailing the local building department to ask if they know of anything. Being a city of 9k people, they don't appear to have any online permit tracking so contacting the city might be the only option.

Permits are usually applied for 9-12 months before the target opening so maybe March/April someone will uncover something somewhere. You can also try emailing the local building department to ask if they know of anything. Being a city of 9k people, they don't appear to have any online permit tracking so contacting the city might be the only option.
I have a very close friend (we were college roommates in the early 70’s) who‘s got some good contacts down there and lives next to the Sutherlin location I think the SC will be built. So I’ll contact him and ask him to poke around a little. I’ll let you guys know if he comes up with something meaningful to post here.

Nope, it is still the same, just delayed by a quarter. Heard they're waiting on power company to deliver enough power to the site for ~40/50 V3 stalls, this is going to be huge.
So it would say Q1 2023. It does not. It just says 2023.

Please tell us where you have heard this info. What your source is. Who told your cousin that there is a supercharger coming next door and where next door is.

The largest site nearby is 14 V2. Sutherlin doesn’t make much sense to be as large a site as you suggest. Especially if there isn’t enough power. Eugene makes much more sense for a mega site.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
So it would say Q1 2023. It does not. It just says 2023.

Please tell us where you have heard this info. What your source is. Who told your cousin that there is a supercharger coming next door and where next door is.

The largest site nearby is 14 V2. Sutherlin doesn’t make much sense to be as large a site as you suggest. Especially if there isn’t enough power. Eugene makes much more sense for a mega site.

Firstly, So what? If I had to guess based on what he said location is secured, except that now Tesla and the power company have to figure out how to supply power, which definitely takes a while.

Second, citing a confidential source on a public forum would be a death sentence for whoever told him and possibly compromise the operation.

Third, we can’t complain about getting more Superchargers, like seriously. It’s Interstate 5 anyway so it’ll surely be needed at some point

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Firstly, So what? If I had to guess based on what he said location is secured, except that now Tesla and the power company have to figure out how to supply power, which definitely takes a while.

Second, citing a confidential source on a public forum would be a death sentence for whoever told him and possibly compromise the operation.

Third, we can’t complain about getting more Superchargers, like seriously. It’s Interstate 5 anyway so it’ll surely be needed at some point
If it’s confidential he wouldn’t be asking for advice on a public forum on how to capitalize from Tesla being next door. Easy to find property owners.

I agree more is better. Places with large installations in CA are situated near normal intersections of many highways or areas splitting these main travel routes. This one doesn’t seem the fit that for a large site. For a normal 8-12 stall site like everything else, it would be great. 4 of the 12 stall sites 10-15 miles apart would spread things out and not tax the power supply. And give people more options for stopping in the same general vicinity.

Real question is what’s Roseburg’s problem with getting a SC? We normally stop there but apparently Tesla can’t make a deal there so having to do truck stops like Myrtle creek. Will stop at Sutherland if they get one.

Because @MarcoRP gave me permission to share this here (via DM on Twitter), the permit for this has been tracked down.
"The world's largest Prefabricated Supercharger is coming to Sutherlin, Oregon! 51 stalls (composed of 12 PSUs plus 3 additional stalls) are planned in a vacant lot on Clover Leaf Loop, right off Interstate 5."

Seems like an odd location to drop that many stalls, as it doesn't really split anything nicely. I guess if your origin is Portland and you leave home with a 95% charge, it would be a first good stop, but obviously that doesn't work on the return trip.
I agree. But it’s probably more geared towards topping up or refilling after going through the mountains on the way to or from CA.

There’s already an EA charger next door. And a golf course. Hit the driving range while you charge. Fun!

And whoever was talking about their cousin owning a spot next door (like what Marco mentioned), there’s already starbucks, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen and subway. Not sure what else fast casual or fast food you’d put in that wouldn’t directly compete.

Can the pin be moved a bit so Supercharge.info/Mapbox doesn't think it's on I-5 itself?

Sutherlin, OR

Host Type: Tesla
Host: Tesla
Along Primary Interstates: I-5
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-5

To: Creswell, OR - 46.9 miles
Diversion: 0.5 miles
To: Springfield, OR - 59.7 miles

To: Harrisburg, OR - 73 miles
To: Salem, OR - 121.2 miles
To: Ridgefield, WA - 187 miles

Together with Cresswell, OR (Permit), this splits the largest gap on I-5, (Myrtle Creek, OR to Springfield, OR 92.6 miles), taking the gaps below 50 miles.

With that many stalls, it could obviously be a key charging location in that area.

In a Model Y, ABRP says Yreka, CA to Sutherlin, OR is 62% and Sutherlin, OR to Yreka, CA is 70% at 68F.

There's going to be much more flexibility for Tesla owners traveling that stretch and owners of older Tesla vehicles are likely to find themselves with much less competition at the older 150kW spots.