Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sutherlin, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This site will have over twice as many plugs as the next largest site in either WA or OR. I thought this size of supercharger station was only possible currently between Northern and Southern CA (in the West, anyway). While a station at this site was badly needed to fill in the largest gap along I5, I'm just blown away that this will be 50+ stalls. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for future stations in the PNW.

This site will have over twice as many plugs as the next largest site in either WA or OR. I thought this size of supercharger station was only possible currently between Northern and Southern CA (in the West, anyway). While a station at this site was badly needed to fill in the largest gap along I5, I'm just blown away that this will be 50+ stalls. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for future stations in the PNW.
I think Elon may be positioning Tesla to be the primary EV charging network for all EV’s around the country which will require many more SC stalls to support the added demand.

I think Elon may be positioning Tesla to be the primary EV charging network for all EV’s around the country which will require many more SC stalls to support the added demand.
That may be, though he is going to have to build them out faster than he is if he wants that. OTOH, the use of pre-fab charger stations may make that possible.

Reactions: PLUS EV
That may be, though he is going to have to build them out faster than he is if he wants that. OTOH, the use of pre-fab charger stations may make that possible.
I’m very curious to see how well & how quickly those new pre-fab stations go up, but the long pole in the activate the new SC tent seems to always be the utility provided transformer.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 450D1114-85AA-4200-90C5-EAB3345463B9.jpeg
    450D1114-85AA-4200-90C5-EAB3345463B9.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: Araman0
Have I told people here how much I hate eTrakit when used improperly (90%+)?

Searching for permits containing Cloverleaf returns 0 results, Leaf Loop, nothing. 116 Clover nothing. 116 W Clover Leaf LP is how this was recorded. Ugh. Can't search by parcel number either which can be found on the county GIS maps but searching for that property info on eTrakit shows the address as 0 W Central Ave and different property owners than the GIS and no permits. Horrible.

Back to the task at hand. Electrical and building permits have been approved for this site (although the Building Permit shows 50 spaces, not 51 like the site drawings show). Now it will be easy to check eTrakit for issuance. Based on approval, I am not sure what is holding this back other than how long Tesla thinks it will need to provide all the equipment. Or if there are other projects in line before this one. Or other work to the site that needs to be done before these two permits can be issued.

1660542768677.png
1660542798733.png

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Based on approval, I am not sure what is holding this back other than how long Tesla thinks it will need to provide all the equipment. Or if there are other projects in line before this one. Or other work to the site that needs to be done before these two permits can be issued.
My suspicion is that this will be a site that allows non-Tesla EVs to charge. Why else would it be so large? Not really needed for Tesla charging, given the gap to other SCs along I-5. So maybe the delay is to ramp up manufacturing of the V4 Supercharger equipment that should include a CCS/Tesla-proprietary swappable connector.

No hard evidence of this theory yet.

I recently stopped at the Sutherlin Electrify America CCS Supercharger, as I was curious to look at the future Tesla Supercharger location.

Tesla Supercharger - Sutherlin, Oregon ea .jpg

I can tell you that making a left turn to exit from the EA supercharger to go back to the Interstate 5 was quite challenging, because the fraffic
was quite heavy and there is no middle merging lane, so both the right and left lanes need to be clear to be able to make a left turn.

Tesla Supercharger - Sutherlin, Oregon EA Exit to Freeway   - ea .jpg

It is great that the future Tesla Supercharger will be accessed using the Cloverleaf Loop and the Dakota street, as the major road W. Central avenue
has a central merging lane making left turn more easy and safer.

Tesla Supercharger - Sutherlin, Oregon Tesla Exit to Freeway   - tsla.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Moorebid
I recently stopped at the Sutherlin Electrify America CCS Supercharger, as I was curious to look at the future Tesla Supercharger location.

View attachment 842406

I can tell you that making a left turn to exit from the EA supercharger to go back to the Interstate 5 was quite challenging, because the fraffic
was quite heavy and there is no middle merging lane, so both the right and left lanes need to be clear to be able to make a left turn.

View attachment 842411

It is great that the future Tesla Supercharger will be accessed using the Cloverleaf Loop and the Dakota street, as the major road W. Central avenue
has a central merging lane making left turn more easy and safer.

View attachment 842412

So did you see construction or anything happening at the Tesla site?

So did you see construction or anything happening at the Tesla site?
From the Starbuck windows, I didn't noticed any construction.

Note: I was also evaluating using the EA CCS1 superchargers.
Since this Sutherlin location was halfway between two Tesla Superchargers,
I was not able to use preconditioning, so charging was not fast, so I didn't really have too much extra time.
It would be great if Tesla would integrate other superchargers to the navigtion.

In the short term just add a Supercharger to your navigation after the CCS destination and the Tesla will precondition, the closer the Supercharger is to the CCS charger and the longer the drive before, the more preconditioned you will be

In the short term just add a Supercharger to your navigation after the CCS destination and the Tesla will precondition, the closer the Supercharger is to the CCS charger and the longer the drive before, the more preconditioned you will be
The nearest supercharger is 33 miles away. He's not getting any preconditioning with that method in summer (possibly a very small amount in winter).

I was not able to use preconditioning, so charging was not fast, so I didn't really have too much extra time.
It would be great if Tesla would integrate other superchargers to the navigtion.
Were you able to add the EA charger to your route in navigation? I know the last time I plugged in at a CCS station it started heating the battery once plugged in. I didn’t enter it on nav so not sure if it would precondition but you can see other sites on the nav now, just not sure if they classify between L2 and L3 for non-tesla sites.

1661008830038.png

Were you able to add the EA charger to your route in navigation? I know the last time I plugged in at a CCS station it started heating the battery once plugged in. I didn’t enter it on nav so not sure if it would precondition but you can see other sites on the nav now, just not sure if they classify between L2 and L3 for non-tesla sites.

View attachment 843011
I played with the nav earlier today and UI can only see EVGo fast chargers. No Chargepoint or EA or any others.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy

We might see it happening in a week or two.