Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sutton, WV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bad timing. The Tesla map is showing Sutton opening in Q4.
I just found out the new Supercharger shown as "Sutton" on the Tesla charging page is under construction at the Little General convenience store at the Flatwoods exit, a few miles south of Sutton. I'll try to post a new forum discussion on that site later today (if someone doesn't beat me to the post.) This supercharger will be 33 miles south of the Weston Supercharger, but it will catch the Rt. 19 shortcut to I-77 south of Charleston, West Virginia.

I just found out the new Supercharger shown as "Sutton" on the Tesla charging page is under construction at the Little General convenience store at the Flatwoods exit, a few miles south of Sutton. I'll try to post a new forum discussion on that site later today (if someone doesn't beat me to the post.) This supercharger will be 33 miles south of the Weston Supercharger, but it will catch the Rt. 19 shortcut to I-77 south of Charleston, West Virginia.
Great find! @corywright @tes-s @Big Earl

• Helpful
Reactions: corywright
@WVhybrid A little more to go on would be helpful. Is this the spot?

1663360784220.png

Last edited:
@WVhybrid You are correct, it is well under construction.

An 8 stall - 250 kW is alongside I-79 North and WV 4 with back-in only, no trailer friendly pull-in.

In the first picture, the backside of the guardrail up on the hill is the northbound lanes of I-79.

It sits between the Little General store and City National Bank where I drew a red line on the map. Less than 1 minute off the highway, this is a great location for long distance travelers.

The transformer pad is empty, and the parking lines need to be re-stripped.

@corywright @tes-s @Big Earl Please add to supercharge.info

Attachments

• 9C03DD7D-E9A2-4CC2-A84A-7C9EC197E618.jpeg
    9C03DD7D-E9A2-4CC2-A84A-7C9EC197E618.jpeg
    837.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 0D6440D6-CCB6-4C32-AA08-F45409C99C6A.jpeg
    0D6440D6-CCB6-4C32-AA08-F45409C99C6A.jpeg
    1,002.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 2E1226E8-E912-4974-994F-3ECE1300B485.jpeg
    2E1226E8-E912-4974-994F-3ECE1300B485.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
  • B11D57FC-4144-4FA7-9011-5D9ABF5EA491.jpeg
    B11D57FC-4144-4FA7-9011-5D9ABF5EA491.jpeg
    837 KB · Views: 136
  • B8381DCA-FB76-464B-AAAC-79FF917D699C.jpeg
    B8381DCA-FB76-464B-AAAC-79FF917D699C.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 147
@WVhybrid You are correct, it is well under construction.

An 8 stall - 250 kW is alongside I-79 North and WV 4 with back-in only, no trailer friendly pull-in.

In the first picture, the backside of the guardrail up on the hill is the northbound lanes of I-79.

It sits between the Little General store and City National Bank where I drew a red line on the map. Less than 1 minute off the highway, this is a great location for long distance travelers.

The transformer pad is empty, and the parking lines need to be re-stripped.

@corywright @tes-s @Big Earl Please add to supercharge.info
Thanks for the photos!

I recommend the name be changed to Flatwoods. This Supercharger location is about 1/4 mile from the Flatwoods exit of I-79, and is 6 miles from the Sutton Exit of I-79. The name Sutton will be confusing, as this supercharger will not be at the Sutton Exit, but at the Flatwood Exit. The drive from the Sutton exit will be 10 minutes on a good day, as the route from the Sutton Exit to this supercharger goes through the town of Sutton, with red lights and 25 mph speed limits. Perhaps the Little General store uses a Sutton post office address even though the Flatwood post office is closer.

I should have looked at a map. Flatwoods is north of Sutton. I had it stuck in my head the order of towns going north on the old road (which I used to bicycle decades ago) as Gassaway, Flatwoods, Sutton and Heaters. But it isn't. Its's Gassaway, Sutton, Flatwoods and Heaters. Arrgh!

Thanks for the photos!

I recommend the name be changed to Flatwoods. This Supercharger location is about 1/4 mile from the Flatwoods exit of I-79, and is 6 miles from the Sutton Exit of I-79. The name Sutton will be confusing, as this supercharger will not be at the Sutton Exit, but at the Flatwood Exit. The drive from the Sutton exit will be 10 minutes on a good day, as the route from the Sutton Exit to this supercharger goes through the town of Sutton, with red lights and 25 mph speed limits. Perhaps the Little General store uses a Sutton post office address even though the Flatwood post office is closer.
The name rhat should be used is the name that Tesla would be expected to use, and that's normally been the postal town.

A near splitter on I-79 as start to Weston, WV is 98.9 miles. Charleston, WV to Sutton, WV I-77, I-79 is 101.6 miles.

Sutton, WV

Host Type: Gas Station
Host: Little General
Along Primary Interstates: I-79
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-19
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-79

To: Weston, WV (v2) - 32.4 miles
Diversion: 0.2 miles
To: Fairmont, WV - 68.8 miles

Near splitter of the 98.8 mile gap from the start of I-79 to Weston, WV.
Splitter of the I-77-I-79 transition gap, Charleston, WV to Weston, WV which is 101.6 miles.

So, do we have any information about when in Q4 this will be open? The pictures look promising but someone mentioned the transformer pad being empty. Is getting the pad installed a long process or are we close? Without the supercharger available in Weston, WV until March 2023 due to Sheetz renovation, the trip from Charleston to Fairmont will be rough for those with smaller battery packs. This Sutton/Flatwoods charger will be vital.

So, do we have any information about when in Q4 this will be open? The pictures look promising but someone mentioned the transformer pad being empty. Is getting the pad installed a long process or are we close? Without the supercharger available in Weston, WV until March 2023 due to Sheetz renovation, the trip from Charleston to Fairmont will be rough for those with smaller battery packs. This Sutton/Flatwoods charger will be vital.
It is highly variable how long it takes the power company to install the transformer. Could be tomorrow, or it could be another couple of months. Once the transformer is placed and the site passes all of its various inspections, Tesla usually turns it on within a few days.

I wonder if Ian will start to have an impact on local electrical companies performing tasks in their local area as they send crews and equipment south to help out from Ian? My son who works at Lowe's here in southern IL told us that they were informed by management that they were going to try and accelerate store deliveries to stock up local stores before the material starts being diverted to Florida.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue Stuff